Two Thirds of Americans Afraid to Give Honest Responses on Polls

First, this has nothing to do with answering poll questions. It's about every-day communication.

Second, more precisely, it's about being too cowardly to speak out about one's politics. As we learn from that poll, this kind of cowardice is more prevalent among Whites compared to Blacks, more prevalent among conservatives and libertarians compared to liberals, and more prevalent among Republicans compared to Democrats (page 3). What else is not new? These days, while we mourn the loss of John Lewis, we also receive information how conservatives and libertarians are the victims of their own cowardice and self-censorship, because standing up for one's own belief is deemed too damn risky.

The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave...

First, this has nothing to do with answering poll questions. It's about every-day communication.

Second, more precisely, it's about being too cowardly to speak out about one's politics. As we learn from that poll, this kind of cowardice is more prevalent among Whites compared to Blacks, more prevalent among conservatives and libertarians compared to liberals, and more prevalent among Republicans compared to Democrats (page 3). What else is not new? These days, while we mourn the loss of John Lewis, we also receive information how conservatives and libertarians are the victims of their own cowardice and self-censorship, because standing up for one's own belief is deemed too damn risky.

link to any of these claims?

you seem to be talking out of your ass.

This is the point I have been making for months now; people lie top pollsters or skewer the polling by not answering if they support Trump.

According to the poll, 62% of Americans — and 77% of Republicans — are afraid to share their views. Even a majority of Democrats (52%) report that they are afraid to share their views.
The only group that feels they are free to share their views are “staunch liberals,” 58% of whom say they can do so.
Cato’s Emily Ekins writes:
A new Cato national survey finds that self‐censorship is on the rise in the United States. Nearly two-thirds—62%—of Americans say the political climate these days prevents them from saying things they believe because others might find them offensive. The share of Americans who self‐censor has risen several points since 2017 when 58% of Americans agreed with this statement.
Strong liberals stand out, however, as the only political group who feel they can express themselves. Nearly 6 in 10 (58%) of staunch liberals feel they can say what they believe. However, centrist liberals feel differently. A slim majority (52%) of liberals feel they have to self‐censor, as do 64% of moderates, and 77% of conservatives. This demonstrates that political expression is an issue that divides the Democratic coalition between centrist Democrats and their left flank.
What’s changed? In 2017 most centrist liberals felt confident (54%) they could express their views. However today, slightly less than half (48%) feel the same. The share who feel they cannot be open increased 7 points from 45% in 2017 to 52% today. In fact, there have been shifts across the board, where more people among all political groups feel they are walking on eggshells.
Nearly a third (32%) of employed Americans say they personally are worried about missing out on career opportunities or losing their job if their political opinions became known.
This is why they brought out Obama... They know its going to be a blood bath with Biden losing big time and they are pulling out all the stops..

I lie to all polls, not matter what.

I consider it a duty, and an honor.

It could be on key lime pie.

doesn't matter.

Well usually.

Trump supporters are afraid to state they support the blob? I think the word you're looking for is "ashamed".
Of course we are afraid to state our support! Look what YOU just said! Instead of supporting a candidate based on what
the candidate has done, people like you support what the MSM promote.
REMEMBER you evidently believed the MSM with poll after poll showing Hillary the winner... primarily because of this:
Do you believe the MSM if so you believed their pumping Hillary as they are pumping Biden. Or in Biden's case NOT asking
Biden any questions that might influence idiots like YOU!
Questions of Biden YOU'VE not heard from the MSM (which by the way Biden hasn't had a press conference in Biden held his last press conference on June 25, where he called on reporters from a prepared list. That was 84 days after the previous one.
Questions for Biden:
Biden_kissing.png

96%news2Hillary.png

Spoken like a true Marxist...

Intimidate and threaten people then call them pussies when they think about their safety first and lie to the scumbags who might hurt them...

I have long heard that people in many countries NEVER give their honest opinions about politics. It could result in literal death.

Here in the "Land of the Free" during the last three years, even saying that you support President Trump can be your figurative death.

a. In Hollywood, I hear, no roles will be given to actors who have expressed support for President Trump.

b. Just read, too, that a teacher has been dismissed because he posted something like: "Donald Trump is our president."

I am retired, but if I were working, I would definitely fall in line.

If my colleagues were all signing up to march for that racist "anti-cop movement" (I cannot bring myself to even mention its three initials), I would of course smile and repeat the party line: "Of course, I will march for justice against those White cops who are killing sweet sensitive innocent young gentlemen. Oh, yes, I will donate my month's salary to the noble cause. Can I pretty please now keep my job?"

You hit the nail on the head--risky.

You people on the left are very violent people. You are the reason we need to carry our guns. We see violence day after day now that the liberal cities have embellished and fostered civil unrest and destruction.

You people damage homes if you see a yard sign supporting a Republican candidate. You damage cars for having a bumper sticker supporting a Republican candidate or the party itself. You anti-constitutionalists hate our Freedom of Speech. You believe that right only applies to the left.

This is the stupidity of living and dying by the polls. Of course you're not going to get honest answers. Then when the Republican beats all odds according to those polls, you scream that we somehow cheated the election instead of blaming yourselves for phony poll numbers.

This was never more evident than in the Bush/ Kerry race. Exit polling showed Kerry killing Bush, yet Bush won. How did that happen? Because the left demonized Bush so much, nobody being asked at the polls would give an honest answer who voted for Bush.

Cowardly or cautious ?

We'll stand up for them in November. The only poll that counts.

RIght now, the left is doing a victory dance like they did 4 years ago.

Why stop them and motivate them to work harder for the rancid tomato ?

Forum List

Back