Turkey! Turkey! It's everywhere!!!

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Every year... what to do with the leftover Turkey...

Last night I made "Turkey Tamale Pie". Traditionally tamale pie is made with shredded chicken, but using Turkey makes very little difference.
You can find several recipes online... but basically you make about a half batch of cornbread in a iron skillet, don't bake it quite all the way.
Then add a mixture of enchilada sauce (very easy to make, a can of tomato sauce, a little bit of oil, 2 - 3 TB of chili powder, 1 tsp of cumin and cook it on low heat for 10 minutes or so) cheddar cheese and corn or black beans if you like. Then top with cheese and cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until cheeses browns.
This recipe totally hides the flavor of Turkey 100%.

Today I made some Turkey Hash... thanks to our friend eagle1462010 for suggesting it.
I diced up some potatoes and pan fried them until soft. So essentially diced fried potatoes.
Removed from pan and threw in the onions and celery until start to caramelize, then added up maybe 1/2 cup diced bacon.
Added some Sage, red pepper flakes and rosemary. Then added about a cup of leftover pan drippings (fat removed after it chilled...so the jelly stuff)
Maybe a couple cups of shredded/diced Turkey. Put the potatoes back in and cooked, on low, for about 20 minutes.
YUM!!!

Last night I made "Turkey Tamale Pie". Traditionally tamale pie is made with shredded chicken, but using Turkey makes very little difference.
You can find several recipes online... but basically you make about a half batch of cornbread in a iron skillet, don't bake it quite all the way.
Then add a mixture of enchilada sauce (very easy to make, a can of tomato sauce, a little bit of oil, 2 - 3 TB of chili powder, 1 tsp of cumin and cook it on low heat for 10 minutes or so) cheddar cheese and corn or black beans if you like. Then top with cheese and cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until cheeses browns.

Today I made some Turkey Hash... thanks to our friend eagle1462010 for suggesting it.
I diced up some potatoes and pan fried them until soft. So essentially diced fried potatoes.
Removed from pan and threw in the onions and celery until start to caramelize, then added up maybe 1/2 cup diced bacon.
Added some Sage, red pepper flakes and rosemary. Then added about a cup of leftover pan drippings (fat removed after it chilled...so the jelly stuff)
Maybe a couple cups of shredded/diced Turkey. Put the potatoes back in and cooked, on low, for about 20 minutes.
YUM!!!
Maybe buy a smaller one or invite more people.

Maybe buy a smaller one or invite more people.
There was supposed to be 13 here... ended up as 6.
My niece's husband serves overseas and he didn't get in until 4am after a 14 hour flight, and they live 2 hours away so them and their 2 kids didn't make it, then my brother and his two sons got into a heated argument over stupid politics that went way overboard and they turned around and went back home. (I have a thread on this stupidity)
So yeah... I bought a 20 lb Turkey. There is a lot of Turkey leftover!

YUM!!!
Turkey and mashed potatoe frittata.

Turkey noodle soup.

Turkey salad sandwich.

We are having plain old reheated turkey, dressing and other stuff from Thursday.
Sure... I usually have done that once... but not much more than that.
When there is just the two of you and you have 6-7 lbs of Turkey left... yeah...

YUM!!!

Awesome. Turkey noodle soup incoming in our house. Followed by Ham and pea soup. We had both ham and turkey for Thanksgiving, as well as pheasant.

Forum List

Back