Tunisia MPs reject Islam as law

aris2chat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2012
Not the whole middle east or all muslims are falling backwards, there is hope and reason

Tunisia's assembly has rejected Islam as the main source of law as it voted on a new constitution.
AP
15 MINS AGO

Tunisia's Islamist-dominated constituent assembly has compromised in rejecting Islam as the main source of law as it voted on a new constitution for the country that spawned the Arab spring.

But while it established Islam as the state religion, it promised freedom of conscience, despite one MP warning on Saturday that "satanists" and "idolaters" would be practicing in public and criticism by a rights group it was too vague.

Saturday's sitting of the National Constituent Assembly, which has adopted 12 out of 146 articles, came amid concerns a January 14 deadline for the charter's approval could be missed because of disruptions and the slow pace of deliberations.

It was on January 14, 2011, that ousted dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and his family fled the country for exile in Saudi Arabia.

The first two articles adopted, neither of which may be amended, establish Tunisia as a "civil" republic based on the rule of law and with Islam as its religion.

The assembly rejected two amendments, one proposing Islam and the other proposing the Koran and Sunna - the sayings, acts and judgments of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed - as "the principal source of legislation".

In what was a raucous session that had to be suspended at one point, Mohamed Hamdi of the small Current of Love party defended Islamic law, saying it would give "spiritual backing to all rights and liberties".

Read rest of article here: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/688315158?-2809:"]Tunisia MPs reject Islam as law

Last edited:
Tunisia's assembly has rejected Islam as the main source of law as it voted on a new constitution.
AP
15 MINS AGO

Tunisia's Islamist-dominated constituent assembly has compromised in rejecting Islam as the main source of law as it voted on a new constitution for the country that spawned the Arab spring.

But while it established Islam as the state religion, it promised freedom of conscience, despite one MP warning on Saturday that "satanists" and "idolaters" would be practicing in public...

And that is the persistent insecurity of Islamists ... that their faith can't stand up to the "satanists" and "idolaters."
Freedom of speech and thought are often unsettling but are what has made America the beacon that still attracts an unending stream of those seeking freedom and opportunity.
God Bless America.

No, it won't. Islam is a faith on the decline, just as surely as is Christian fundamentalism.

One way or another, Tunisia will still end up being a Muslim country guided by Islamic laws. ... :thup:

Not to worry, Suuuuuuuuuuuu - we. As a convert, safely ensconced in the Great Satan, you will be protected from the horrors of theocratic totalitarianism that defines so many Islamist nations. .....:cool:

One way or another, Tunisia will still end up being a Muslim country guided by Islamic laws. ... :thup:

Not to worry, Suuuuuuuuuuuu - we. As a convert, safely ensconced in the Great Satan, you will be protected from the horrors of theocratic totalitarianism that defines so many Islamist nations.
Hollie is my personal troll who stalks me from thread to thread with inane comments. ... :cuckoo: :lol: :lol:

No doubt-----the filth was the real basis for the strife over there. ----Tunisia actually
was already almost a shariah cesspit ----since it gained independence from Italy
post world war II Descent into the cosmic cesspool was only a matter of time.

extremisms of all kinds should be looked on with suspicion. there should be flexibility for a bit of all ideas to have a voice. Mostly we need people who learn to listen and think of others.

extremisms of all kinds should be looked on with suspicion. there should be flexibility for a bit of all ideas to have a voice. Mostly we need people who learn to listen and think of others.

I have a sense that different people have different concepts of "extremism" Long ago--
when I was young (and beautiful:doubt:) I encountered lots of people from----
----not the USA ------many different kinds. Lots seemed to believe that usa people
are EXTREMIST---------we wore extremely short skirts-------and we let women smoke
cigarettes --------and mothers in the USA never cooked------and people have a dangerously
over generious amount of freedom to talk and do stuff to the EXTREME

as to shariah law------I met people who told me that it has "THE MOST TOLERATION"
-----eventually I learned that "toleration" is a real word-----so I should not have laughed.
I was a very good LISTENER ----back then (when I was young an beautiful----to the
EXTREME) so people told me lots of stuff -----about how EXTREME americans are

Forum List

Back