Trump's spokesman, Miller, said poem not part of the original Statue of Liberty.

deanrd

Gold Member
May 8, 2017
Stephen Miller disavows Statue of Liberty poem in defending administration's immigration policy

I don't want to get off into a whole thing about history here, but the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of liberty enlightening the world … The poem that you're referring to was added later, it's not actually part of the original Statue of Liberty."

"You're saying ["The New Colossus" poem] does not represent what the country has always thought of as immigration?" Acosta asked. "I'm sorry, that sounds like some national park revisionism."

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

It was physically added in 1903 to the statue.
But it was written for the Statue to raise money so the poem actually came before the statue. So in a way, they are both right. It was physically added later, but predates and the poem was written for the statue and for the last hundred years, represented the country.

• Banned
Until Republicans. Now it no longer represents the country. Republicans have destroyed that concept.

well now we know what FNN and MSBS talking points are tonight

SNL should get Pee Wee Herman to spoof Miller. Makeup probably wouldn't take him 30 seconds.

Melania does not pass my speaking Eng test, she has to go. Also the Statue of Liberty is an immigrant from France and she is named after a Roman Goddess , Libertas.

So now legal immigrants are not enough , they must be skilled and speak Eng. I hope that goes for the seasonal ones Trump uses in his Fl. resort.

I think these skilled English speaking immigrants are the same as H1B Visas, and they are taking jobs. They work for less just to come here.

Stephen Miller disavows Statue of Liberty poem in defending administration's immigration policy

I don't want to get off into a whole thing about history here, but the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of liberty enlightening the world … The poem that you're referring to was added later, it's not actually part of the original Statue of Liberty."

"You're saying ["The New Colossus" poem] does not represent what the country has always thought of as immigration?" Acosta asked. "I'm sorry, that sounds like some national park revisionism."

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

It was physically added in 1903 to the statue.
But it was written for the Statue to raise money so the poem actually came before the statue. So in a way, they are both right. It was physically added later, but predates and the poem was written for the statue and for the last hundred years, represented the country.

And it has exactly nothing to do with IMMIGRATION LAW! As usual, a CNN news speaker makes an ass out of himself in front of the whole world and gets his rear end handed to him.

Democrats lost almost every important election in the last decade and they still can't seem to understand the meaning of the word "illegal" and yet they rant about an old poem. No wonder the democrat part is a dying dinosaur

New Topics

Forum List

Back