Trumpery corrupts NOAA: NOAA staff warned against 'opinion' about Dorian after Trump comments

How big of a tantrum did Trump pitch until he forced one of his appointees to put out that unsigned statement? Our president is a spoiled child who can't even admit the smallest mistake.
and how bad do you have to be before you go OOPS on RUSSIA???

you ever get tired of upping your hypocrisy levels?
The president is ising political power in very qiestionable waus here. That is a real concern.
So was Obama executive ordering everything. When you don't stop it cause your side is doing it, expect the other side to say "hold my beer" when their turn.

I am not talking executive orders, which can be legally challenged in court. Is it possible to discuss Trumps actions with out a but but Obama?
At times, sure. But when talking about the overall erosion of power, is it possible to be consistent about that without making it about 1 person?

Note the warning "after Trump comments".

Donald Trump has corrupted every branch of the American government and turned NOAA into a political tool.

"A NOAA meteorologist told the newspaper that the message was interpreted internally as a reference to the president's comments. Shortly after Trump said Dorian could reach Alabama, the National Weather Service's Birmingham branch emphasized in a tweet that the state would not be affected by the storm."

NOAA then proceeded to defend Trump's weather forecasting skills.

Donald Trump has corrupted government agencies forever. They will never recover even after the Trump management in government agencies is expunged.

NOAA staff was warned against providing 'opinion' about Dorian after Trump comments: report

NOAA staff was warned against providing 'opinion' about Dorian after Trump comments: report
BY JUSTIN WISE - 09/08/19 07:33 AM EDT 2,220

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reportedly warned its staff against providing information beyond official forecasts just hours after President Trump claimed in a tweet that Alabama could be impacted by Hurricane Dorian.
The agency issued the directive on Sept. 1, according to an email obtained by The Washington Post.
The email, which was sent to National Weather Service (NWS) personnel, told employees to "stick with official National Hurricane Center forecasts if questions arise from some national level social media posts which hit the news this afternoon."
The Post noted that the email also cautioned staff against providing "any opinion" when faced with questions about the hurricane.
A NOAA meteorologist told the newspaper that the message was interpreted internally as a reference to the president's comments. Shortly after Trump said Dorian could reach Alabama, the National Weather Service's Birmingham branch emphasized in a tweet that the state would not be affected by the storm.
NOAA reportedly sent a similar message after Trump showed off a map that appeared to alter Dorian's original path projection with a marker.
“This is the first time I’ve felt pressure from above to not say what truly is the forecast,” the meteorologist said to the Post. “It’s hard for me to wrap my head around."
A National Weather Service spokesperson told The Hill that the directive was sent as part of an effort to avoid distractions.
"NWS leadership sent guidance to field staff so they (and the entire agency) could maintain operational focus on Dorian and other severe weather hazards without distraction. The guidance made no reference to the president," the spokesperson said in a statement.
An anonymous NOAA official told the Post that there was no "political motivation" behind the statement. Acting NOAA Administrator Neil Jacobs and NOAA Director of Public Affairs Julie Kay Roberts were reportedly involved in writing the statement. Commerce Department leadership ultimately approved its release, the Post reported.
NOAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill.
Trump faced widespread pushback last week after stating that Alabama would potentially feel the effects of Dorian. The president continued to defend his statement throughout the week and at one point displayed a map in the Oval Office that appeared to show a marker-drawn addition to indicate that the hurricane would hit the southern edge of the state.
NOAA officials on Friday released an unsigned statement affirming Trump's claims. The statement also disavowed the tweet from the National Weather Service in Birmingham about the hurricane.
The statement sparked backlash from many quarters of the scientific community and within the NWS.
“These are the people risking their lives flying into hurricanes and putting out forecasts that save lives. Never before has their management undercut their scientifically sound reasoning and forecasts,” Dan Sobien, who heads the National Weather Service Employees Organization representing thousands of employees working under NOAA, told The Daily Beast.
The anonymous NOAA official told the Post that the statement called out Birmingham's office because one NOAA hurricane forecast showed a chance of tropical storm-force winds hitting a small part of Alabama.

It went far beyond that. Wilbur Ross threatened to fire NOAA officials who refused to back Trump. The NWS in Birmingham clarified Trump's statement and pressure was applied to NOAA to back Trump.

Commerce Chief Threatened Firings at NOAA After Trump’s Hurricane Tweets, Sources Say

That is so bizarre.

Trump and his supporters are bizarre. Trump made a mistake and the NWS corrected it. Trump instead of admitting his mistake bullies NOAA into backing him. Turning a non-political agency into a political agency. Wilbur Ross should be prosecuted.
We've been politicizing agencies for 1 sides benefit for awhile now. This is what happens when you are ok when your side does it.

No one seems to realize they are NOT getting one over, but pushing our own collective standards further away.

Certain agencies have managed to no not be seen as politicized because their public credibility and trust depend on it. The Federal Reserve and certain health and science agencies. They may advance or emphasize their administration's policies but the science is still soundly resoected and followed

I am dismayed to see what I am seeing here. The "but the opposition does it too" is increasingly weak against the growing backdrop of things like this recent interference in NWS and NOAA. It brgins to seem as if Trump supporters eill support and justify anything this president does even ad it is eroding public confidence and trust. That is disturbing imo.

Should I be incensed about this or something? Should I vote for some Democrat now, instead of letting those evil Russians talk me into voting for Trump again, or is this just the latest "outrage"?

I'll tell you how I really feel after this idiotic thread gets moved to the Rubber Room in 3...2...1...

So demanding federal employees lie under threats is how you think it should go?

How big of a tantrum did Trump pitch until he forced one of his appointees to put out that unsigned statement? Our president is a spoiled child who can't even admit the smallest mistake.
and how bad do you have to be before you go OOPS on RUSSIA???

you ever get tired of upping your hypocrisy levels?
The president is ising political power in very qiestionable waus here. That is a real concern.
So was Obama executive ordering everything. When you don't stop it cause your side is doing it, expect the other side to say "hold my beer" when their turn.

I am not talking executive orders, which can be legally challenged in court. Is it possible to discuss Trumps actions with out a but but Obama?
At times, sure. But when talking about the overall erosion of power, is it possible to be consistent about that without making it about 1 person?
Trump is the one doing it now & the one you support.

Note the warning "after Trump comments".

Donald Trump has corrupted every branch of the American government and turned NOAA into a political tool.

"A NOAA meteorologist told the newspaper that the message was interpreted internally as a reference to the president's comments. Shortly after Trump said Dorian could reach Alabama, the National Weather Service's Birmingham branch emphasized in a tweet that the state would not be affected by the storm."

NOAA then proceeded to defend Trump's weather forecasting skills.

Donald Trump has corrupted government agencies forever. They will never recover even after the Trump management in government agencies is expunged.

It went far beyond that. Wilbur Ross threatened to fire NOAA officials who refused to back Trump. The NWS in Birmingham clarified Trump's statement and pressure was applied to NOAA to back Trump.

Commerce Chief Threatened Firings at NOAA After Trump’s Hurricane Tweets, Sources Say

That is so bizarre.

Trump and his supporters are bizarre. Trump made a mistake and the NWS corrected it. Trump instead of admitting his mistake bullies NOAA into backing him. Turning a non-political agency into a political agency. Wilbur Ross should be prosecuted.
We've been politicizing agencies for 1 sides benefit for awhile now. This is what happens when you are ok when your side does it.

No one seems to realize they are NOT getting one over, but pushing our own collective standards further away.

Certain agencies have managed to no not be seen as politicized because their public credibility and trust depend on it. The Federal Reserve and certain health and science agencies. They may advance or emphasize their administration's policies but the science is still soundly resoected and followed

I am dismayed to see what I am seeing here. The "but the opposition does it too" is increasingly weak against the growing backdrop of things like this recent interference in NWS and NOAA. It brgins to seem as if Trump supporters eill support and justify anything this president does even ad it is eroding public confidence and trust. That is disturbing imo.
it is increasingly weak sure.

but its also very true.

im more concered about our overall direction than what a single person is doing. however when you defend one side from improper acts then attack the other side for the ssme, where is your credibility overall? people defended obamas overreach now bitch at trumps.

BOTH ARE WRONG. but if you only go after 1 side, what is the other side going to do?

That is so bizarre.

but its also very true.

im more concered about our overall direction than what a single person is doing. however when you defend one side from improper acts then attack the other side for the ssme, where is your credibility overall? people defended obamas overreach now bitch at trumps.

BOTH ARE WRONG. but if you only go after 1 side, what is the other side going to do?

And if you are comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

If you want to criticize the over use of executive orders by Trump, you can’t ignore the fact that the Obama Administration saw a large increase in them (and for that matter, the Bush Administration) compared to previous administrations, and be internally consistent.

But in this example, with NOAA and the NWS, what occurred previously that is truely comparable?

The president relies on an outdated forecast in his tweet. It was wrong. People in Alabama panicked, the NWS was flooded with calls, and issued a clarification.

Nothing wrong so far. People make mistakes, assuming Trump listens to advisors (and that right there is debatable) - they should have made sure he had the most up to date info. Irregardless, it should have stopped there, right.

But it didn’t. It blew up. We have a president who doubled down and insisted he was right, displayed an obviously doctored diagram, and worse, political pressure was applied on NOAA to issue a statement that contradicted it’s previous statements and the NWS, and that none of the scientists supported.

The NWS doesn’t have a political dog in this fight. While climate might be political, weather isn’t. People rely on and trust the NWS for accurate and honest predictions (as much as is possible with weather). What does something like this say?

Is there anything comparable another president has done? I don’t think so. I don’t it is a matter of which side did what either. This is truly bizarre and unprecedented.

That is so bizarre.

but its also very true.

Claiming that Trump & Obama did the same things at the same level is 100% proof you are a Trumpette. Please don't insult everyone by claiming you are a middle pf the road person.

Trump lies EVERY FUCKING DAY. Jesus Christ, how stupid are you?

That is so bizarre.

but its also very true.

And if you are comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

If you want to criticize the over use of executive orders by Trump, you can’t ignore the fact that the Obama Administration saw a large increase in them (and for that matter, the Bush Administration) compared to previous administrations, and be internally consistent.

But in this example, with NOAA and the NWS, what occurred previously that is truely comparable?

The president relies on an outdated forecast in his tweet. It was wrong. People in Alabama panicked, the NWS was flooded with calls, and issued a clarification.

Nothing wrong so far. People make mistakes, assuming Trump listens to advisors (and that right there is debatable) - they should have made sure he had the most up to date info. Irregardless, it should have stopped there, right.

But it didn’t. It blew up. We have a president who doubled down and insisted he was right, displayed an obviously doctored diagram, and worse, political pressure was applied on NOAA to issue a statement that contradicted it’s previous statements and the NWS, and that none of the scientists supported.

The NWS doesn’t have a political dog in this fight. While climate might be political, weather isn’t. People rely on and trust the NWS for accurate and honest predictions (as much as is possible with weather). What does something like this say?

Is there anything comparable another president has done? I don’t think so. I don’t it is a matter of which side did what either. This is truly bizarre and unprecedented.
rest assured, i don't just look to obama. since 9/11 our gov has been getting just jacked up beyond measure. but it's been a series of "hold my beer" in which each side says:

1) we didn't do anything wrong
2) even if we did, it's justified because you suck
3) hey - stop doing what we did but for your own reasons
4) rinse, repeat.

rinsing optional at this point.

so when i say "look what obama did" yes, it's a whataboutism, but we can keep going back and all across the board, we are excusing bad behavior in the name of our own personal justice yet screaming for justice when someone does the same or takes it a step further.

if *we the people* don't stop this shit, we're done. if we can't find common ground and hold into it with everything we have then the cycle will keep going and we'll miss the sane days of trump/pelosi and AOC.

is that really where we want to collectively go? mostly to spite the OTHER side who is so stupid they can't see how stupid they are? (other side being both sides, mind you)

trump was a dumbass to even chime in. period. end of story. he's got zero business doing this anymore than obama had to chime in on every shooting or social event with his own commentary as if he were judge and jury. trump is just doing the same cause this are the times we've created to live in and it sucks. for all the good things trump can do he can sure turn around and give you a head scratching til you're bald WTF. THIS is why i wish gabbard or others would speak to a centrist movement. THIS is why i wish for a candidate with any damn letter you please after their name to talk about uniting a country and working together.

if we keep on this road, we're sure to get that evil "other side". we just don't seem to notice it's a suicide play just the same.

Trump is the boss. Employees must do as the boss says. Why don't liberals understand this?

Forum List

Back