Trump Was the Biggest Loser Last Night and That's a Good Thing

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
As I said two months ago, I wanted Republicans to lose the midterms. not because I want Democrats to win or that I support their agenda, but because it's necessary for Trumpism to be destroyed in order to save the Republican Party. I'm fairly pleased with last night's results. The Republicans look on track to eek out just a small majority in the House, far less than expectations, and at best they might be able to hold a 50/50 Senate again. Either Nevada or Arizona will have to flip to counter Pennsylvania, assuming Ron Johnson hangs on in Wisconsin, and both are looking iffy right now. Dems may end up with 51 seats when all is said and done.

The Dobbs ruling played a major role in this defeat. Women and Gen Z voters were out in historical force infuriated by the abortion ruling. That definitely blunted any red wave, but at the end of the day candidate quality matters and Trump is solely to blame for that. His MAGA picks crashed and burned last night. New Hampshire Senate, Pennsylvania Senate and Governor, Wisconsin Governor, several House endorsements, all very winnable races, Trump racked up loss after loss after loss. Even his rare winners, like J.D. Vance in Ohio, had to struggle to win in a race that should have been a cakewalk.

Voters sent a clear message to the Republican Party. Trumpism is poison. They rejected the extreme MAGA conspiratorial election deniers at nearly every turn. This, in one of the best electoral environments Republicans had in several election cycles. Contrast that with candidates who rejected Trump, like Brian Kemp and Chris Sununu, who had no problem winning their elections, while their Senate counterparts crapped the bed. Even in some races that Republicans came up short, the ones who rejected Trumpism overperformed their district environment. Hung Cao came within a few points of winning VA-10, a district in northern Virginia that Biden won by 18 points. Allan Fung came within three points of winning Rhode Island's Second District, a district Biden won by almost 30. Lee Zeldin got 46% of the vote in New York in his gubernatorial bid, the best performance by a Republican in New York in two decades, by keeping Trump out of the picture and sticking to a message of cleaning up crime plaguing NYC. Zeldin's excellent performance might end up dragging several Republican House candidates in New York over the finish line. Ironically, the GOP may take the House majority because of New York of all states. Compare these results with MAGA loudmouth Lauren Bobert, who is on the cusp of losing her seat in a safe Republican district in western Colorado.

How anybody could still want Trump as their great white hope in 2024 is pretty astonishing at this point considering what Ron DeSantis did in Florida last night. This was the only state that saw a red wave. DeSantis is on target to win reelection with almost 60% of the vote. He won Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville, all traditional Democratic areas. It seems pretty clear that the path forward for the Republican Party lies in Ron DeSantis as opposed to the toxicity of Donald Trump and yet, despite this, Trump's lawyer had the arrogance to send DeSantis a finely worded threat to stay out of the presidential race.

It's time for Trump supporters to accept the fact that they got lucky in 2016. Two very unpopular candidates ran for president and Trump just managed to squeak out enough votes in key states to win the Electoral College, largely due to Clinton's missteps. Since then he's presided over, now, three election cycles in which the Republican Party has received a thumping. It's more than clear that DeSantis is the path forward for 2024 and Trump is the path of electoral disaster. All over social media today a lot of conservative pundits are finally admitting this. A lot of money and support will undoubtedly shift from Trump to DeSantis in the coming months and the party apparatus will do everything they can to stop Trump in his tracks. The question is how many of the Trump faithful will manage to break themselves out of his hypnotic spell.

Don't expect Trump to go gracefully, though. This is and has always been about his ego. He's going to kick and scream and cry and do everything he can to sabotage the party if he doesn't get his way. The next two years are going to be very bumpy in the GOP.

As I said two months ago, I wanted Republicans to lose the midterms. not because I want Democrats to win or that I support their agenda, but because it's necessary for Trumpism to be destroyed in order to save the Republican Party. I'm fairly pleased with last night's results. The Republicans look on track to eek out just a small majority in the House, far less than expectations, and at best they might be able to hold a 50/50 Senate again. Either Nevada or Arizona will have to flip to counter Pennsylvania, assuming Ron Johnson hangs on in Wisconsin, and both are looking iffy right now. Dems may end up with 51 seats when all is said and done.

The Dobbs ruling played a major role in this defeat. Women and Gen Z voters were out in historical force infuriated by the abortion ruling. That definitely blunted any red wave, but at the end of the day candidate quality matters and Trump is solely to blame for that. His MAGA picks crashed and burned last night. New Hampshire Senate, Pennsylvania Senate and Governor, Wisconsin Governor, several House endorsements, all very winnable races, Trump racked up loss after loss after loss. Even his rare winners, like J.D. Vance in Ohio, had to struggle to win in a race that should have been a cakewalk.

Voters sent a clear message to the Republican Party. Trumpism is poison. They rejected the extreme MAGA conspiratorial election deniers at nearly every turn. This, in one of the best electoral environments Republicans had in several election cycles. Contrast that with candidates who rejected Trump, like Brian Kemp and Chris Sununu, who had no problem winning their elections, while their Senate counterparts crapped the bed. Even in some races that Republicans came up short, the ones who rejected Trumpism overperformed their district environment. Hung Cao came within a few points of winning VA-10, a district in northern Virginia that Biden won by 18 points. Allan Fung came within three points of winning Rhode Island's Second District, a district Biden won by almost 30. Lee Zeldin got 46% of the vote in New York in his gubernatorial bid, the best performance by a Republican in New York in two decades, by keeping Trump out of the picture and sticking to a message of cleaning up crime plaguing NYC. Zeldin's excellent performance might end up dragging several Republican House candidates in New York over the finish line. Ironically, the GOP may take the House majority because of New York of all states. Compare these results with MAGA loudmouth Lauren Bobert, who is on the cusp of losing her seat in a safe Republican district in western Colorado.

How anybody could still want Trump as their great white hope in 2024 is pretty astonishing at this point considering what Ron DeSantis did in Florida last night. This was the only state that saw a red wave. DeSantis is on target to win reelection with almost 60% of the vote. He won Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville, all traditional Democratic areas. It seems pretty clear that the path forward for the Republican Party lies in Ron DeSantis as opposed to the toxicity of Donald Trump and yet, despite this, Trump's lawyer had the arrogance to send DeSantis a finely worded threat to stay out of the presidential race.

It's time for Trump supporters to accept the fact that they got lucky in 2016. Two very unpopular candidates ran for president and Trump just managed to squeak out enough votes in key states to win the Electoral College, largely due to Clinton's missteps. Since then he's presided over, now, three election cycles in which the Republican Party has received a thumping. It's more than clear that DeSantis is the path forward for 2024 and Trump is the path of electoral disaster. All over social media today a lot of conservative pundits are finally admitting this. A lot of money and support will undoubtedly shift from Trump to DeSantis in the coming months and the party apparatus will do everything they can to stop Trump in his tracks. The question is how many of the Trump faithful will manage to break themselves out of his hypnotic spell.

Don't expect Trump to go gracefully, though. This is and has always been about his ego. He's going to kick and scream and cry and do everything he can to sabotage the party if he doesn't get his way. The next two years are going to be very bumpy in the GOP.
Lets say that Trump and InSantis both run in 2024 along with Pompeo, Cruz, Noem, etc... It becomes clear that Trump is not the nominee...do you think he runs 3rd party to shaft the GOP?

Yet, DeSantis, who the MSM are calling "the biggest winner" didn't mention the border at all in last nights speech. I found it preculiar, though he did focus on the "woke agenda". It suggests to me he is running for the GOP leadership. The question is, will this be as a Jeb Bush Light while allowing operatives and the media to paint him as a Trump Light?

When Trump runs it will be a battle of crowds, momentum and policies. DeSantis is popular in FL, but, can he replicates this across the country whose red meat issues are "the economy"?

Trump won't be shy about the border and calling out Americas enemies. He will be loud and direct about federal and global issues and their impact on the economy.

DeSantis will focus on divisive cultural issues, "wokeness" etc. It's easy to call these out as they are red meat issues. It also means he doesn't have to talk about and deal with issues such as the border, Russia, China. These are far more difficult issues, it's not just calling out others but dealing with it.

I'm sure the Neo-Cons approve of this since they'd like to bomb a few deserts in the future, not fix a broken border or difficult trade issues.

As such, my initial instinct about DeSantis being a replacement for Trump might be wrong, I'm not sure about his broad appeal.

That you think that anything will change if Trump is out of the picture is what is amusing. I want D's to keep winning, when the crash comes, there will be no one left to blame but them and their terrible policies. All a split does is allow them to blame each other, I think we need total control by the D party for many years, let their policies lead where they do and the chips fall where they may. Let's prove once and for all that their policies work or not. I hope they do control the Senate, let's make them put their money where their mouth is, I want to see this utopia they keep promising. :dunno:

Trump isnt going away.

How do Republicans hold a 50/50 senate when the tie breaker is held by Kamala?

even if a republican like safe as milk Romney became president instead of Trump, I would be absolutely THRILLED even if I still preferred a democrat.

So now, the man called a racist, war mongerer by MSM is considered "safe"? LOL
I don’t like Romney but those particular things I’m not aware of. But yeah, even if all that was true, I sure as hell would prefer him. If Trump got a second term, without a fucking doubt he would have started a war. All it would take is a leader hurting his feelings. He’s a whiny little bitch.

Yes, Trump is finished now on account of the loss of power to initimidate the authorities. There will be charges brought against Trump from all the wind's directions.

But of course the big down side to Trump's fall from grace is that he's useless for stopping the war against Russia.

The critical time in US politics isn't over but the turn to fascism under Trump is at least temporarily delayed. The anger and resentment of the ordinary working class American won't go away without the social (socialist) adjustment that is so drastically needed on the very rich, sharing the wealth.

Now comes the part where they all claim that their elections were stolen.

The glorious sound of MAGA conspiracy theorists whining is glorious. Let’s all listen.

They were doing that before it even started. The MAGA cult is a bunch of whiney crybabies. They don't understand that's exactly what's causing their losses.

The Americans who are going to be killed in blue shitholes, and their families are going to be the biggest losers.

But, hey, what's a little blood so long as dems have their power.

Right?

Trump's candidate picks and their losses has weakened him. His attacks on DeSantis has weakened him. This mid-term election has made DeSantis stronger. By far.

are you suggesting the fbi leaves him alone now? ahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha the demofks fear DJT.

Very well stated. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Forum List

Back