Trump Wanted So Stay In Office. Long Live Trump.

This is from Trump's Social Media. It tells his state of mind before the 2020 elections, during and after, to this day.

He so wanted to stay in office, he betrayed the nation in order to try to do so illegally.

[ Long before the 2020 election denial, there was the 2016 effort to become President ]

Now to move onto the big, breaking news of the past 10 days — the arrest of the former head of the FBI Counterintelligence team, Charles McGonigal.

Timothy D Snyder, a Yale professor, and author is an expert on Eastern European history, and authoritarianism wrote a VERY GOOD article on what the arrest means about Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election, the state of the FBI, and the risk we still face.

I really encourage you to read the entire piece because I can’t do it justice with just the excerpts below.

So many people should have taken the actions of 2016 seriously, and we paid a big price.
If someone as important as McGonigal could take money from foreigners while on the job at FBI New York, and then go to work for a sanctioned Russian oligarch he was once investigating, what is at stake, at a bare minimum, is the culture of the FBI's New York office. The larger issue is the health of our national discussions of politics and the integrity of our election process.
For me personally, McGonigal's arrest brought back an unsettling memory. In 2016, McGonigal was in charge of cyber counter-intelligence for the FBI, and was put in charge of counterintelligence at the FBI's New York office. That April, I broke the story of the connection between Trump's campaign and Putin's regime, on the basis of Russian open sources. At the time, almost no one wanted to take this connection seriously. American journalists wanted an American source, but the people who had experienced similar Russian operations were in Russia, Ukraine, or Estonia. Too few people took Trump seriously; too few people took Russia seriously; too few people took cyber seriously; the Venn diagram overlap of people who took all three seriously felt very small. Yet there was also specific, nagging worry that my own country was not only unprepared, but something worse. After I wrote that piece and another, I heard intimations that something was odd about the FBI office in New York. This was no secret at the time. One did not need to be close to such matters to get that drift. And given that FBI New York was the office dealing with cyber counterintelligence, this was worrying.
Definitely looks hideous.
Now that McGonigal has been arrested, Trump has claimed that this somehow helps his case. Common sense suggests the opposite. The man who was supposed to investigate Russian support of Trump then took money from a Russian oligarch close to Putin, who was at one remove from the Trump campaign at the time? That is not at all a constellation that supports Trump's version of events. If the FBI special agent (McGonigal) who was investigating Trump's connection to Russia was on the payroll of the Russian oligarch (Deripaska) to whom Trump's campaign manager (Manafort) owed millions of dollars and provided information, that does not look good for Trump. It looks hideous —but not just for Trump.
I think a lot of us felt that there was pressure from the NY FBI, now we know that’s likely true.
Then, weirdly, FBI director James Comey announced on 28 October 2016, just ten days before the election, that the investigation into Clinton's emails had been reopened. This created a huge brouhaha that (as polls showed) harmed Clinton and helped Trump. The investigation was closed again after only eight days, on 6 November, with no charges against Clinton. But that was just two days before the election, and the damage was done. As I recall it, in the fury of those last forty-eight hours, no one noticed Comey's second announcement, closing the investigation and clearing Clinton. I was canvassing at the time, and the people I spoke to were still quite excited about the emails. Why would the FBI publicly reveal an investigation on a hot issue involving a presidential candidate right before an election? It now appears that Comey made the public announcement because of an illicit kind of pressure from special agents in the FBI New York office. Comey believed that they would leak the investigation if he did not announce it.
He’s making a critical point here and he is not prone to hyperbole.
Now that we are informed that a central figure in the New York FBI office was willing to take money from foreign actors while on the job, this line of analysis bears some reconsideration. Objectively, FBI New York was acting in concert with Russia, ignoring or defining narrowly Russia's actions, and helping deliver the one-two punch to Clinton in October that very likely saved Trump. When people act in the interest of a foreign power, it is sometimes for money, it is sometimes because the foreign power knows something about them, it is sometimes for ideals, and it is sometimes for no conscious motive at all -- what one thinks of as one's own motives have been curated, manipulated, and directed. It seems quite possible -- I raise it as a hypothesis that reasonable people would consider -- that some mixture of these factors was at work at FBI New York in 2016.
Absolutely 100% of what he is saying here!
The Russian operation to get Trump elected in 2016 was real. We are still living under the specter of 2016, and we are closer to the beginning of the process or learning about it than we are to the end. Denying that it happened, or acting as though it did not happen, makes the United States vulnerable to Russian influence operations that are still ongoing, sometimes organized by the same people. It is easy to forget about 2016, and human to want to do so. But democracy is about learning from mistakes, and this arrest makes it very clear that we still have much to learn.

(full article online)

[ How some Trump voters got away with voting more than once ]

His sentence? Fifty hours of community service. But apparently the community work was not to his liking—probably something like ladling out soup in a homeless shelter instead of squeegeeing the Adderall-and-Yoo-hoo paste off Trump’s heaving bosom at 4 AM each day, which is what he really longed to do—so he’s planning to “buy out” the 50 hours at $10 per hour. So, yeah, a $500 fine for real-ass intentional voter fraud.

Meanwhile, those of us in the consensus reality community are forced to white-knuckle our way through a barrage of fake fraud accusations while our ship of state continues to list starboard toward fascism. I don’t know about you, but I feel like I’ve been punished more than $500 worth just by Mike Lindell. (Though he paid a good portion of that back on Tuesday night, to be fair.)

The three other Villages residents who were caught up in the anti-fraud dragnet entered into similar pretrial agreements last year. Unfortunately, their wrists aren’t any ruddier than Rider’s. Their slaps were so light, their run-in with the justice system seemed more like a tickle fight than a prosecution.

WKMG-TV, Orlando:

All four were facing a maximum of five years in prison if a jury convicted them of a third-degree felony.
As part of their agreements with the state, Joan Halstead, Charles Barnes and Jay Ketcik were required to complete a 12-week adult civics class based on the textbook “We the People; the Citizen and the Constitution.”
Under the pretrial intervention contracts, prosecution of the defendants will be deferred for a period of 18 months, with the possibility that it will be permanently deferred if they successfully complete the court-ordered requirements.

(full article online)

A newly released audio recording offers a behind-the-scenes look at how former President Donald Trump’s campaign team in a pivotal battleground state knew they had been outflanked by Democrats in the 2020 presidential election. But even as they acknowledged defeat, they pivoted to allegations of widespread fraud that were ultimately debunked — repeatedly — by elections officials and the courts.

The audio from Nov. 5, 2020, two days after the election, is surfacing as Trump again seeks the White House while continuing to lie about the legitimacy of the outcome and Democrat Joe Biden’s win.

(full article online)

Forum List

Back