Trump vs Mike Roman--CEO of 3-M

3M warned on Friday that the Trump administration’s request for the company to stop exporting respirator masks could actually make the protective gear less available in the United States.

The Minnesota manufacturing giant issued the warning a day after President Donald Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to force 3M to step up its production of desperately needed respirator masks for front-line health workers to use in the fight against the coronavirus.

The text of Trump’s order issued Thursday night directs acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf to “use any and all authority available under the Act to acquire, from any appropriate subsidiary or affiliate of 3M Company, the number of N-95 respirators that the Administrator determines to be appropriate.”

In its statement, the company said the Trump administration “also requested that 3M cease exporting respirators that we currently manufacture in the United States to the Canadian and Latin American markets.”

It added that “there are, however, significant humanitarian implications of ceasing respirator supplies” to health care workers in those countries, where 3M is a “critical supplier of respirators.”

“In addition, ceasing all export of respirators produced in the United States would likely cause other countries to retaliate and do the same, as some have already done,” 3M added. “If that were to occur, the net number of respirators being made available to the United States would actually decrease.”

So who is right? Is this CEO looking out for company profits, or is he correct that the Presidents use of the Defense Act would actually decrease the actual number of masks down the road? Help countries to the south and north of us? I'm all for that, PROVIDED we have the help to give. Right now, our healthcare workers and citizens come first. When ours are taken care of, then we will worry about our friends.

Not only will other countries cease to export medical supplies to the USA, but Canada will retaliate by refusing to allow Canadian nurses, who cross the border every day to work in hospitals in Detroit and Buffalo, will be pulled from American hospitals to work in Canadian hospitals.

Trump's lack of preparation and looking to his own needs months ago, when he could have and should have done this, should not mean that Canada should suffer. This is theft. And it will cost you lives too.

Hold it it a moment and you are slamming Trump failure to prep for the Pandemic but you are also threatening the U.S. that if we do not sell you masks that you will pull nurses from working here in the States, so why wasn't Canada prepared with a stockpile of masks and other medical supplies?

Come on and tell us in great detail why the Government of Canada is excused for it failure to keep a doomsday Emergency supply but the U.S. is not?

So go ahead pull your nurses and also pull your oil and wait for China or India to buy it while you starve to death!

American First Responders and Medical Community should be the first ones that get masks made in the States and then the General Population of the United States of America and then 3M can sell them to Canada if there is a surplus!

Canada Population needs does not come before the needs of the U.S. Population when it come to PPE and medical supplies made in the States!

3M warned on Friday that the Trump administration’s request for the company to stop exporting respirator masks could actually make the protective gear less available in the United States.

The Minnesota manufacturing giant issued the warning a day after President Donald Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to force 3M to step up its production of desperately needed respirator masks for front-line health workers to use in the fight against the coronavirus.

The text of Trump’s order issued Thursday night directs acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf to “use any and all authority available under the Act to acquire, from any appropriate subsidiary or affiliate of 3M Company, the number of N-95 respirators that the Administrator determines to be appropriate.”

In its statement, the company said the Trump administration “also requested that 3M cease exporting respirators that we currently manufacture in the United States to the Canadian and Latin American markets.”

It added that “there are, however, significant humanitarian implications of ceasing respirator supplies” to health care workers in those countries, where 3M is a “critical supplier of respirators.”

“In addition, ceasing all export of respirators produced in the United States would likely cause other countries to retaliate and do the same, as some have already done,” 3M added. “If that were to occur, the net number of respirators being made available to the United States would actually decrease.”

So who is right? Is this CEO looking out for company profits, or is he correct that the Presidents use of the Defense Act would actually decrease the actual number of masks down the road? Help countries to the south and north of us? I'm all for that, PROVIDED we have the help to give. Right now, our healthcare workers and citizens come first. When ours are taken care of, then we will worry about our friends.

Not only will other countries cease to export medical supplies to the USA, but Canada will retaliate by refusing to allow Canadian nurses, who cross the border every day to work in hospitals in Detroit and Buffalo, will be pulled from American hospitals to work in Canadian hospitals.

Trump's lack of preparation and looking to his own needs months ago, when he could have and should have done this, should not mean that Canada should suffer. This is theft. And it will cost you lives too.
It does not matter what Trump does, Progs spout the opposite. You better understand that we are in a war. If you live a relatively comfortable life, then stop it if you want a chance to continue it. The alternatives may be worse then death.

Canada's blackface PM sent a large portion of the nations stock pile to China for free back in January...and as been noted shipments aren't being prevented from going to Canada and Mexico.

Come on and tell us in great detail why the Government of Canada is excused for it failure to keep a doomsday Emergency supply but the U.S. is not?

It's the same with everybody. Their leaders couldn't see this coming (nobody could) so TDS has them blaming the President for everything.

You got to love Trump attitude of America first. Yet is it America first or Trump first.

Sorry, but I have no idea what that comment even meant.

Trump ran on the America First as a political slogan during his first election. It was a play on that slogan as now with the mask story he is asking this company to stop sending mask to customer they already have in order to supply them only to Americans.

(In its statement, the company said the Trump administration “also requested that 3M cease exporting respirators that we currently manufacture in the United States to the Canadian and Latin American markets.”)

which by the wording is a request

At first it was. Now it's an order. Roman should have done that on his own long before the PDA was issued if he was any kind of patriot at all. Now that he has no choice, he's making threats and stating 3M is making enough masks for Americans.

After this is over, I'll avoid using 3M products. I know it won't break them, and I know few Americans will join me in the boycott. But at least I'll feel better.

Do you realize that you expressed your concern for the first responder over yourself just before making the statement that we should think of ourselves first, and others later?

Concern for myself first? You must have gotten that when I posted this:

I would love to get my hands on a pack of N-95 masks for my own protection. But I can't. Even if I could, I would rather face my own death than a first responder because I had the ability to get a mask one of our first responders needed.

How selfish of me. Boy do I feel inconsiderate.
I wasn’t implying that you were being selfish

Then what were you implying?

Forum List

Back