Trump vs Mike Roman--CEO of 3-M

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
3M warned on Friday that the Trump administration’s request for the company to stop exporting respirator masks could actually make the protective gear less available in the United States.

The Minnesota manufacturing giant issued the warning a day after President Donald Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to force 3M to step up its production of desperately needed respirator masks for front-line health workers to use in the fight against the coronavirus.

The text of Trump’s order issued Thursday night directs acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf to “use any and all authority available under the Act to acquire, from any appropriate subsidiary or affiliate of 3M Company, the number of N-95 respirators that the Administrator determines to be appropriate.”

In its statement, the company said the Trump administration “also requested that 3M cease exporting respirators that we currently manufacture in the United States to the Canadian and Latin American markets.”

It added that “there are, however, significant humanitarian implications of ceasing respirator supplies” to health care workers in those countries, where 3M is a “critical supplier of respirators.”

“In addition, ceasing all export of respirators produced in the United States would likely cause other countries to retaliate and do the same, as some have already done,” 3M added. “If that were to occur, the net number of respirators being made available to the United States would actually decrease.”

So who is right? Is this CEO looking out for company profits, or is he correct that the Presidents use of the Defense Act would actually decrease the actual number of masks down the road? Help countries to the south and north of us? I'm all for that, PROVIDED we have the help to give. Right now, our healthcare workers and citizens come first. When ours are taken care of, then we will worry about our friends.

3M warned on Friday that the Trump administration’s request for the company to stop exporting respirator masks could actually make the protective gear less available in the United States.

The Minnesota manufacturing giant issued the warning a day after President Donald Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to force 3M to step up its production of desperately needed respirator masks for front-line health workers to use in the fight against the coronavirus.

The text of Trump’s order issued Thursday night directs acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf to “use any and all authority available under the Act to acquire, from any appropriate subsidiary or affiliate of 3M Company, the number of N-95 respirators that the Administrator determines to be appropriate.”

In its statement, the company said the Trump administration “also requested that 3M cease exporting respirators that we currently manufacture in the United States to the Canadian and Latin American markets.”

It added that “there are, however, significant humanitarian implications of ceasing respirator supplies” to health care workers in those countries, where 3M is a “critical supplier of respirators.”

“In addition, ceasing all export of respirators produced in the United States would likely cause other countries to retaliate and do the same, as some have already done,” 3M added. “If that were to occur, the net number of respirators being made available to the United States would actually decrease.”

So who is right? Is this CEO looking out for company profits, or is he correct that the Presidents use of the Defense Act would actually decrease the actual number of masks down the road? Help countries to the south and north of us? I'm all for that, PROVIDED we have the help to give. Right now, our healthcare workers and citizens come first. When ours are taken care of, then we will worry about our friends.
From what I understand, according to the Trade advisor, they would not be withheld from Mexico or Canada. He was on Tucker Carlson. Sounds like a fake sound bite from Mike Roman. Wonder what the Dems promised him...

Last edited:
I just heard Roman on FOX news and what he says just doesn't stand up to the facts on the ground....3m masks are not like toilet paper...you can fit thousands of them into a trailer and ship them in bulk....the stores and amazon has not had any 3m face masks for weeks now...so he is lying when he says 3m has done everything they can....get them in the stores idiot....stop flying them to China...

Not only will other countries cease to export medical supplies to the USA, but Canada will retaliate by refusing to allow Canadian nurses, who cross the border every day to work in hospitals in Detroit and Buffalo, will be pulled from American hospitals to work in Canadian hospitals.

Trump's lack of preparation and looking to his own needs months ago, when he could have and should have done this, should not mean that Canada should suffer. This is theft. And it will cost you lives too.

Last edited:
Not only will other countries cease to export medical supplies to the USA, but Canada will retaliate but refusing to allow Canadian nurses, who cross the border every day to work in hospitals in Detroit and Buffalo, will be pulled from American hospitals to work in Canadian hospitals
China and other nations already have honey......look it up sweetheart....

Not only will other countries cease to export medical supplies to the USA, but Canada will retaliate by refusing to allow Canadian nurses, who cross the border every day to work in hospitals in Detroit and Buffalo, will be pulled from American hospitals to work in Canadian hospitals.

Trump's lack of preparation and looking to his own needs months ago, when he could have and should have done this, should not mean that Canada should suffer. This is theft. And it will cost you lives too.

Let me get this straight: If a company in America doesn't provide your country with masks that we desperately need, that's theft?

Have a link to all these Canadian nurses coming to our country to help with our patients? I haven't read anything like that. Even if it was true, and Canadians wanted to keep their nurses to help their own people, who could blame them???

You're the first lib to chime in on this; probably because you're a Canadian. But my real interest of libs is which side they would take. Liberals hate wealthy CEO"s, and liberals hate our President. I thought it would be interesting to see which one they hate the least.

But as a lib yourself, it seems you are siding with that greedy wealthy CEO over our President. Very interesting indeed.

Bingo!

First come the safety of our First Responders and Medical Community, Next our society and then Canada and Mexico and then Central and South America and then Europe, Africa and Asia ( Except China ) and then South Pacific and if we have anything else then we help North Korea, Iran and Russia and then if anything is left we reserve it while telling China to take a hike!

Last edited:

Trump hasn't been wrong yet!

We will see in a week...did this decision make masks MORE available or LESS?

President Trump was a CEO many times, and this 3M clown is a CEO. I'll side with our President on this one. Granted, I have sided with CEO's in many discussions. In this case, Roman is only looking out for his own interests. I think that he's using a phony argument we would end up in worse shape if we kept our products to ourselves. Unless he gives us some examples, some numbers. I think he's FOS.

You got to love Trump attitude of America first. Yet is it America first or Trump first.

Bingo!

First come the safety of our First Responders and Medical Community, Next out society and then Canada and Mexico and then Central and South America and then Europe, Africa and Asia ( Except China and the South Pacific and if we have anything else then we help North Korea, Iran and Russia and then if anything is left we reserve it while telling China to take a hike!

I'm an individual with two of the top medical conditions that are associated with death should I be contaminated with this virus. I would love to get my hands on a pack of N-95 masks for my own protection. But I can't. Even if I could, I would rather face my own death than a first responder because I had the ability to get a mask one of our first responders needed.

We need to think of ourselves first, and others later. That's my stance on this.

You got to love Trump attitude of America first. Yet is it America first or Trump first.

Sorry, but I have no idea what that comment even meant.

Let me get this straight: If a company in America doesn't provide your country with masks that we desperately need, that's theft?

Have a link to all these Canadian nurses coming to our country to help with our patients? I haven't read anything like that. Even if it was true, and Canadians wanted to keep their nurses to help their own people, who could blame them???

You're the first lib to chime in on this; probably because you're a Canadian. But my real interest of libs is which side they would take. Liberals hate wealthy CEO"s, and liberals hate our President. I thought it would be interesting to see which one they hate the least.

But as a lib yourself, it seems you are siding with that greedy wealthy CEO over our President. Very interesting indeed.
Trump addressed this today at the presser and he seemed to be justifying companies exporting medical supplies to Other countries if they had a preexisting business relationships. Sounds to me like he made an uninformed public statement yesterday and then talked to the CEO of 3M and was filled in on what was actually going on and then walked it back today

Bingo!

First come the safety of our First Responders and Medical Community, Next out society and then Canada and Mexico and then Central and South America and then Europe, Africa and Asia ( Except China and the South Pacific and if we have anything else then we help North Korea, Iran and Russia and then if anything is left we reserve it while telling China to take a hike!

I'm an individual with two of the top medical conditions that are associated with death should I be contaminated with this virus. I would love to get my hands on a pack of N-95 masks for my own protection. But I can't. Even if I could, I would rather face my own death than a first responder because I had the ability to get a mask one of our first responders needed.

We need to think of ourselves first, and others later. That's my stance on this.
Do you realize that you expressed your concern for the first responder over yourself just before making the statement that we should think of ourselves first, and others later?

Trump addressed this today at the presser and he seemed to be justifying companies exporting medical supplies to Other countries if they had a preexisting business relationships. Sounds to me like he made an uninformed public statement yesterday and then talked to the CEO of 3M and was filled in on what was actually going on and then walked it back today

Apparently you didn't watch it. I did. Trump said he was extremely disappointed in 3M, and said they were going to pay for what they did.

Do you realize that you expressed your concern for the first responder over yourself just before making the statement that we should think of ourselves first, and others later?

Concern for myself first? You must have gotten that when I posted this:

I would love to get my hands on a pack of N-95 masks for my own protection. But I can't. Even if I could, I would rather face my own death than a first responder because I had the ability to get a mask one of our first responders needed.

How selfish of me. Boy do I feel inconsiderate.

Concern for myself first? You must have gotten that when I posted this:

I would love to get my hands on a pack of N-95 masks for my own protection. But I can't. Even if I could, I would rather face my own death than a first responder because I had the ability to get a mask one of our first responders needed.

How selfish of me. Boy do I feel inconsiderate.
I wasn’t implying that you were being selfish

Sorry, but I have no idea what that comment even meant.

Trump ran on the America First as a political slogan during his first election. It was a play on that slogan as now with the mask story he is asking this company to stop sending mask to customer they already have in order to supply them only to Americans.

(In its statement, the company said the Trump administration “also requested that 3M cease exporting respirators that we currently manufacture in the United States to the Canadian and Latin American markets.”)

which by the wording is a request

3M has the right to their opinion..............And America using the War powers act has a right to DENY IT.

They need to comply OR ELSE.......they can carry their happy butts to Canada or Mexico...................Any company can be replaced..............America buys a LOT OF THEIR RESPIRATORS..........Industrial supply............Chemical plants.....................

They will do what is asked.............

Forum List

Back