Trump to announce withdrawal of additional troops from Afghanistan & Iraq in coming days

As expected, and as I predicted, Trump is planning to withdraw some troops from Afghanistan (and Iraq) in the run-up to the election. The Democratic rank and file should support these moves, but it is likely some DNC leaders will stupidly oppose them simply because Trump is initiating them. Of course even after these troop draw-downs Trump’s bellicose attitude and support for a strong military overseas will mean these “endless wars” continue, and these troops will probably just be moved to Asia and the South China Sea. The overall troop presence in the greater Middle East, however — even after these withdrawals — will almost certainly remain at the same high (or higher) levels as when Trump first took office.

“US President Donald Trump is poised to announce the pullout of more American troops from Iraq on Wednesday, and from Afghanistan in the coming days, a US official reportedly told the media on board Air Force One....

“The expected drawdown goes in line with Trump’s previous pledge to reduce the number of troops in both war-torn countries. Last month, US Defense Secretary Mark Esper revealed that the number of US troops stationed in Afghanistan would be slashed to less than 5,000 in the coming months. Trump himself used to say that he wants to cap the US contingent on the ground in Afghanistan to no more than 4,000 troops....

“While Trump has ramped up his anti-war rhetoric in recent months, with the US presidential elections inching closer, he has yet to deliver on his 2016 campaign promise to pull the plug on ‘endless wars.’”

Trump to announce withdrawal of additional troops from Afghanistan & Iraq in coming days

Considering the fact he has added over 20,000 additional troops since being elected, and promising then to withdraw them, it certainly wouldn't be out of bounds to view this latest move as nothing more than a political stunt.

Trump hasn't done anything to support the troops since his election, and has put more of their lives in danger, and his ignoring the bounty placed on them by Russia, has not been forgotten, or will be.

The only words that mean anything to Trump regarding the troops are " The only people there are suckers and losers "
It is true Trump increased by a third troop levels in the Middle East after ripping up the international JCPOA framework with Iran, then illegally assassinating its most popular national hero General Soleimani (and others) at Baghdad Airport. Those troop levels, even after assumed withdrawals from Afghanistan and Iraq, will likely still be considerably higher than when he was elected in 2016.

But the main point is Trump is not changing our “policeman of the world” program for global domination. He is if anything increasing the likelihood of war even as he plays up (for his base) some verbal criticism of the MIC.

As for any Russian “bounty” on U.S. troops in Afghanistan, that is just pure old-fashioned “liberal” anti-Russian propaganda. You DNC Democrats make yourself look ridiculous playing that sort of game, “supporting our troops” instead of getting them out of places they do not belong, trying to look tougher than Trump. You only end up making Trump look good in comparison.

You criticize Trump for “not caring” enough for our professional armed forces, but don’t criticize him for keeping them in Syria and Iraq to “keep the oil.” You say nothing about his forcing economic deals overseas using economic and military threats (imperialism). The DNC is basically for maintaining murderous sanctions on Syria, so that country cannot rebuild itself and have its millions of refugees return.

P.S. Quasar44 is not even worth commenting on.

It is fair to point out that those soldiers never could have been targeted (and they weren't) if Obama hadn't put them there in the first place. That doesn't excuse the fact that they are still there nearly 4 years later though.

SAVAGE: Mitt Romney, Who Avoided Military Service During Vietnam, Says 20 Years In Afghanistan Isn’t Long Enough.

1605751305679.png

AIMLESS MILITARY ADVENTURISM

Romney, who is historically pro-war, has never served in the military, even avoiding the draft for the Vietnam War by claiming exemption as an undergraduate student at Stanford University, a Mormon missionary, and then an undergraduate student again at Brigham Young University.

The senator also came under fire in 2007 during his presidential campaign for saying that his sons, none of whom joined the military either, were serving their country by “helping me get elected.”

“The good news is that we have a volunteer Army and that’s the way we’re going to keep it,” Romney said. “My sons are all adults and they’ve made decisions about their careers and they’ve chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard.”

“One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I’d be a great president,” he added.

Mitt Romney, who compared his sons’ political campaign work to military service, claims it’s in our national security interest to keep sending American sons and fathers to die in Afghanistan for a 20-year-old war w/ no victory definition or exit strategy.

SAVAGE: Mitt Romney, Who Avoided Military Service During Vietnam, Says 20 Years In Afghanistan Isn’t Long Enough.

View attachment 418197

Romney, who is historically pro-war, has never served in the military, even avoiding the draft for the Vietnam War by claiming exemption as an undergraduate student at Stanford University, a Mormon missionary, and then an undergraduate student again at Brigham Young University.

The senator also came under fire in 2007 during his presidential campaign for saying that his sons, none of whom joined the military either, were serving their country by “helping me get elected.”

“The good news is that we have a volunteer Army and that’s the way we’re going to keep it,” Romney said. “My sons are all adults and they’ve made decisions about their careers and they’ve chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard.”

“One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I’d be a great president,” he added.

Mitt Romney, who compared his sons’ political campaign work to military service, claims it’s in our national security interest to keep sending American sons and fathers to die in Afghanistan for a 20-year-old war w/ no victory definition or exit strategy.
I am a Vietnam War Veteran but I protested against the war so I stand by the side of those who refused to serve. What pisses me off are those who promote war and PARTICULARLY those who promote war but have never served themselves. This guy should get a number 37AA steel-capped boot jettisoned up into his asshole dusted with lime and sulfur.

View attachment 418197

I am a Vietnam War Veteran but I protested against the war so I stand by the side of those who refused to serve. What pisses me off are those who promote war and PARTICULARLY those who promote war but have never served themselves. This guy should get a number 37AA steel-capped boot jettisoned up into his asshole dusted with lime and sulfur.
It would do him good!

Forum List

Back