Trump should drop out just like LBJ did, my friends, for the good of the party

SLATE REPORTS:

"The idea that his loss is so certain that he might drop out of the race, while still a very long long shot, is ever so gently bubbling up out of the netherworld from which “buzz” is born. Things don’t always happen for entirely linear, logical reasons. Sometimes someone just says something, and then someone else picks it up, and eventually the idea has so much “momentum” that people in charge think they need to do something about it, just because everyone else is doing it, and all of a sudden you can’t find a plastic straw anywhere even though banning them has only a negligible effect on the environment. (A recent political example of this is when Democrats delayed the start of Trump’s impeachment trial for several weeks for no other reason than a law professor suggested it and it seemed like a good idea.) On Friday, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough speculated that Trump might drop out of the presidential race if he didn’t think he could win; over the weekend, Fox Business macho man Charles Gasparino reported that anonymous “GOP operatives” were discussing the possibility too. At this stage, all that we have are wisps of hypotheticals chasing themselves in a circle, but if the polls continue to be bad, and the rallies empty, and the news cycles gruesome, more pundits will start talking about Trump dropping out, and more Republican donors will worry if they should spend their money on a lost cause, and more Republican politicians will wonder if the MAGA brand is the right fit for their future ambitions.

Maybe that won’t happen. But I wouldn’t bet against the possibility that some politics editor, somewhere, has already assigned a story about Mike Pence and Nikki Haley making “quiet moves” to “distance themselves” from the president.

If the election were held tomorrow, assuming the pandemic-ravaged nation were able to hold an election at all, every available indicator says Trump would lose. But November is more than four months away, and many things can change between now and then. Theoretically, some of those things might be bad for Joe Biden instead of bad for Trump. Verdict: Right now, Trump is SLIGHTLY NON-INVINCIBLE."

Why didn't you just quote the DNC directly instead of it's front, Slate?

thank you for all you've done for America, President Trump, but it's time to leave!

What a stupid opinion piece. LBJ didn't drop out he chose not to enter the race.

Trump is the only person who can lead us out of this crisis and make America great once again. Democrats only offer poverty and chaos.
I voted for Trump and will again, but I don't think he can "lead us out of this". To many scumbags in the shadows.
I do believe you're right. But in his second term he will not have to worry about re election or all the MSM jive. He can confront all those deep state assholes and just go all in with his America first agenda. His second term will be much more productive than his first, especially if he can get majorities in congress. He will also equalize the court which is now liberal because of the Chief Justice. If he loses, I will pull all my money out of the market immediately.
Your money will be worthless because if Biden is elected the stock market will crash upon opening the next day.
It'll crash before that. A week before Biden becomes a sure thing, the exodus will begin.

Forum List

Back