Trump got scared and told Republicans to vote by mail in Florida

It looks like Donald Trump realized that he his tweets might discourage his supporters from voting by mail (thus narrowing their voting options).
So he tweeted that everyone should request a mail ballot or absentee ballot in Florida (the most important swing state).

Trump was thus forced to admit mail voting is safe, with his new and bizarre "Fine, mail voting is safe but only in Florida, ok?" argument:

So, personally, I believe that ANY form of remote voting en masse or electronic voting create unacceptable risk of electoral tampering. Absentee ballots have to be specifically requested and justified, and that's a concession I'm not strongly against, but making it the default, even for a single election, is, IMO, in-fucking-sane.

That said, Trump's not wrong to imply that voting by mail is safer in Florida than elsewhere. As he said, voters in Florida that wish to vote by mail have to actively apply for mail-in ballots, just as they would for absentee ballots in any other year, whereas a handful of other states are automatically sending out ballots to all registered voters. A housecat that's been dead for 12 years isn't going to be receiving a ballot in Florida unless someone actively applies on its behalf, which already makes Florida at least marginally more secure than Georgia.

Conservatives are so confused. Now this guy says that if a person actively requests a mail ballot, then that's all it takes too make it safe.
Sorry, but you guys have been saying that mail ballots is unsafe because of " harvesting" and "forged signatures" etc. That has nothing to do with actively or passively getting the ballots.
Stop making up new arguments on the fly because you want to agree with Trump on everything.

That straw man is pretty, but it doesn't look like me.

I'm not saying that requesting a mail in ballot is all it takes to make it safe. I'm saying that making people request these ballots makes that system precisely ONE STEP SAFER than a system that sends them out unbidden. That's ALL I'm saying.

If you'd take the time to actually read the beginning of the post to which you responded, and actually engage with it, you'd see where I explicitly pointed out that I don't think ANY form of remote voting is safe.

It looks like Donald Trump realized that he his tweets might discourage his supporters from voting by mail (thus narrowing their voting options).
So he tweeted that everyone should request a mail ballot or absentee ballot in Florida (the most important swing state).

Trump was thus forced to admit mail voting is safe, with his new and bizarre "Fine, mail voting is safe but only in Florida, ok?" argument:

May God help that man of god! What a guy. Whatever works for him.

So, personally, I believe that ANY form of remote voting en masse or electronic voting create unacceptable risk of electoral tampering. Absentee ballots have to be specifically requested and justified, and that's a concession I'm not strongly against, but making it the default, even for a single election, is, IMO, in-fucking-sane.

That said, Trump's not wrong to imply that voting by mail is safer in Florida than elsewhere. As he said, voters in Florida that wish to vote by mail have to actively apply for mail-in ballots, just as they would for absentee ballots in any other year, whereas a handful of other states are automatically sending out ballots to all registered voters. A housecat that's been dead for 12 years isn't going to be receiving a ballot in Florida unless someone actively applies on its behalf, which already makes Florida at least marginally more secure than Georgia.

Nonsense. I lived in Florida for 25 years and the government is as corrupt as they come. Trump wants his voters to
vote, no matter what. If it is good in Florida, it is good elsewhere. As usual, Trump is full of shit, and mail voting during this epidemic is acceptable to avoid the spreading of infection.

A lot of state governments are corrupt.

That doesn't change that Florida's setup offers an obvious logistical advantage in that requirement to apply for an absentee ballot. Your speculations about which state is more corrupt than which state, or who's full of shit, or whether or not Covid makes vote by mail acceptable don't change that fact.

Florida is a no-excuse state.

Is there a point hidden in this statement, or you just blurting shit out with a keyboard?

May God help that man of god! What a guy. Whatever works for him.

Nonsense. I lived in Florida for 25 years and the government is as corrupt as they come. Trump wants his voters to
vote, no matter what. If it is good in Florida, it is good elsewhere. As usual, Trump is full of shit, and mail voting during this epidemic is acceptable to avoid the spreading of infection.

A lot of state governments are corrupt.

That doesn't change that Florida's setup offers an obvious logistical advantage in that requirement to apply for an absentee ballot. Your speculations about which state is more corrupt than which state, or who's full of shit, or whether or not Covid makes vote by mail acceptable don't change that fact.
It most certainly changes that fact since tampering in Florida is as commonplace as it is in any other state,
so Trump is once again doing his self-serving thing. I guess that is ok with you.
Frankly, I think that a voter should apply for a mail-in ballot and not cheerfully receive a mail-in ballot just because,
be it Florida or Timbuktu.

Jesus, Bob, your reading comprehension needs some work.

Florida's relative corruption has nothing to do with whether or not requiring people to request a mail-in ballot creates a more or less secure setup than sending out those ballots unbidden.

If Florida is corrupt, it's safer to make people request ballots so that you aren't mistakenly sending them out to dead folks and ineligible voters.

If Florida isn't corrupt, it's STILL safer to make people request ballots so that you aren't mistakenly sending them out to dead folks and ineligible voters.

Florida's corruption or lack thereof do not change this point.

Also, I've gotta say, this is a weird point you seem to be making. Is Trump supposed to tell his supporters NOT to use the mail in voting that these people are setting up? If a candidate voices disagreement with changes to the election system, is he a hypocrite for not just dropping out of the race immediately, or for not coaching his supporters to avoid voting in certain districts? What a ridiculous standard for integrity.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back