trouble accessing net using wireless connection

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
I am able to connect to my router by typing it's address but not able to connect to the internet. Not sure what the problem might be.

My wireless connection window shows that I am connected and have excellent signal strength. My TCP/IP properties are set to automatic.

My previous connection was via AOL dial-up(that's what I am using right now to connect) and I am not sure if this is causing a conflict?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-James

Have you tried searching some specific computer forums? When something doesn't work on one of my machines I just Google the problem (eg in your case "wireless connection faulty" or something similar. Sometimes I incude some details of my OS other info to narrow the search down. I hunt around in forums but I find it quite helpful to do it because someone else has usually had the same problem.

I can't help you with your specific query though. I do have a wireless modem/router but it's cabled and I don't have a clue about wireless.

are you trying to use AOL high speed internet? if so you need to configure specific settings within your wireless router. contact AOL support to get help adjusting those settings.

also, if you're using two different routers (such as a wireless DSL router going through an additional router) double check both routers do not have the same IP address.

That was my problem once, I had specific needs where I needed two wireless routers, one being my DSL modem. Both had 192.168.1.1 (default IP), so obviously it didn't work

I am able to connect to my router by typing it's address but not able to connect to the internet. Not sure what the problem might be.

My wireless connection window shows that I am connected and have excellent signal strength. My TCP/IP properties are set to automatic.

My previous connection was via AOL dial-up(that's what I am using right now to connect) and I am not sure if this is causing a conflict?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-James

When I have a wireless issue, I like to try another wireless computer (laptop) to see if that computer has the same problem. Then I can narrow down the problem to the wireless router or my computer. Do you have any problem accessing the Internet if you use a cable from the computer to the router?

Forum List

Back