Tribute to musicians no longer with us.

rip Chris Squire 1948 - 2015

I worked with Yes only once. I can't believe it was only once and it was so late in both of our careers. It was in 2011.

I cried when Chris died. I didn't get to spend much time with him that day but I got to talk to him then photograph the show.

I'm glad I got to work with him before he died.

Way too many good musicians were taken from us before their time by airplane crashes.

I loved his music and wish I had been able to work with him but he died when I was in middle school.

Way too many wonderful and gifted musicians are gone now.

I was very lucky in my life that I got to spend time and work with most of the greatest musicians in my lifetime.

Some of them are dead now. The first one that I worked with that died was Ray Charles. I worked with him in the 90s. I was numb for a while when I learned he died. Then I couldn't stop shaking and crying.

Photography is a very personal thing for me and when someone I know or worked with dies, it takes a part of me.

The deaths of some who I've worked with that hit me the worst were Aretha Franklin, BB King, Tom Petty and Chris Cornell.

The next decade will be hard on us who grew up in the 60 and 70s. Our music heroes will be dying.

I have worked with Sir Paul McCartney, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page a hand full of times. I will handle their deaths the same way I handled John Lennon's death. Which took me a very long time. I never got the chance to work with John Lennon.

I think that most of the world will too.

Karen Carpenter. Probably one of the most beautiful singing voices to exist within my lifetime. Sadly, her life was short. She died in 1983, at the age of 32, from complications stemming form the anorexia that had afflicted her earlier in her life.

Ken Hensley and David Byron of Uriah Heep

Last edited:

Forum List

Back