Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
And yet the the Ravens have sold their souls to a par quality quarterback, routinely shedding the play makers who have brought him success. Torrey Smith goes to the 49ers, reunited with his former Ravens teammate Anquan Boldin.

Many in Ravens Nation, fans and team officials alike, believe that the team needs to improve their receiver corps and bring in a "true #1 receiver." Apparently surrounding the quarterback with some of the best receiver corps most teams could dream of isn't enough. Torrey will undoubtedly be replaced with a higher quality free agent....wait, that won't happen because they can't afford one. So Torrey will be replaced by up-and-coming talent.....except that they don't have any up-and-coming talent that actually can compare to his abilities. So Torrey will be replaced by a #1 receiver in the draft....except that there are no real draft options available who would be able to fill such a role.

Apparently Torrey Smith is going to be replaced by a labradoodle, because Joe Flacco is so damn good it doesn't matter who is lined up on the outsides. Which begs the question, why have the Ravens struggled offensively for most of Flacco's tenure, even when he's been surrounded by A-list receiving targets? Apparently the Ravens have forgotten that Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and that you can't expect to succeed be placing all your hopes on one man.

the most asinine move the ravens ever made in their existence was letting Dilfer go AFTER he won a superbowl and thinking elvis GARBAGE was an upgrade.i have my suspecions that Billick was being ordered to keep him in the lineup or he would be fired.

It just doesn't make any sense why he did not bench him in favor of Randall Cunningham at the time.Cunningham wasn't the impact player of old at the time he was playing for them but he was easily leaps and bounds better than garbage was.anybody was better than him.the chiefs let him go cause he choked on the biggest game of his life against the donkeys in the 97 playoff game calling for a timeout cause he was tired.lol

Torrey Smith to the Niners? We do need a down field threat, so that's good.

I played against Dilfer. He was a varsity sophomore in HS when I was a senior playing strong safety in the Santa Cruz County Athletic League. He was a big kid, but not I don't remember him being an outstanding HS player. He had the physical attributes that scouts like. Dilfer went on to Fresno St. with a passing offense and put up huge numbers and ended up being a high 1st round draft pick. As a Raven's QB (with Shannon Sharpe) he crushed the hopes of us Raiders fans in the playoffs.

the most asinine move the ravens ever made in their existence was letting Dilfer go AFTER he won a superbowl and thinking elvis GARBAGE was an upgrade

The most asinine move in history was when another owner in my dynasty fantasy league traded LaDanian Tomlinson for Grbak when he became the Ravens QB.

Jon Harbaugh is a good coach. There's been quite a bit of movement this offseason. Maybe the Ravens will make a play for a big ticket player on offense. Or, maybe they'll just continue the formula of defense and Flacco.

• Banned
Jon Harbaugh is a good coach. There's been quite a bit of movement this offseason. Maybe the Ravens will make a play for a big ticket player on offense. Or, maybe they'll just continue the formula of defense and Flacco.

The formula of defense and Flacco is a very poor one. The Ravens biggest weakness is trying to ride Flacco to the bank. He's not the kind of "elite" QB that the Ravens would like to believe he is. His best plays are almost always thanks to the receiver making the play for him, or the defender making a horrible mistake.

Last edited:
Flacco takes up almost $15 million of the cap for 2015.

You're very good on the offensive and defensive lines. The game is won in the trenches. Maybe bring back old man Steve Smith for $3 million? Who else are you going to target? You still need a RB.

• Banned
Flacco takes up almost $15 million of the cap for 2015.

You're very good on the offensive and defensive lines. The game is won in the trenches. Maybe bring back old man Steve Smith for $3 million? Who else are you going to target? You still need a RB.

The offensive line is kinda a mixed bag. Their strength in run blocking is solid, but I think they still have some weakness in pass protection. I don't think RB is a major concern for the Ravens. They still have two good quality HBs, and nowadays good HBs are nearly a dime a dozen. There's still the chance of Forsett re-signing, too.

In any event, my point was that many in the Ravens camp seem to overestimate Flacco's ability to carry the load without complimentary components. Flacco likes to throw the ball deep, and just hope that someone catches it. He gets alot of INTs that way. And alot of blown leads when he goes 3 and out late in the game. If they don't learn to fully value their other players, they're going to suffer badly.

Lets say you could afford any of these unrestricted free agents;
2015 NFL Free Agents Tracker Spotrac

who do you get? Hakeem Nicks...Cecil Shorts...Jeremy Maclin...Andre Johnson...Welker...Crabtree... all injury prone. Do you look at a Percy Harvin, or is he totally washed up?

There's still plenty of time to work a trade. WRs are Prima Donnas. They wear out their welcome and have to move on.

But if you look at the Pats and Seattle, they win with bargain WRs. I thought the Ravens should have beat the Pats last year, but had a few lapses that cost them.

• Banned
Lets say you could afford any of these unrestricted free agents;
2015 NFL Free Agents Tracker Spotrac

who do you get? Hakeem Nicks...Cecil Shorts...Jeremy Maclin...Andre Johnson...Welker...Crabtree... all injury prone. Do you look at a Percy Harvin, or is he totally washed up?

There's still plenty of time to work a trade. WRs are Prima Donnas. They wear out their welcome and have to move on.

But if you look at the Pats and Seattle, they win with bargain WRs. I thought the Ravens should have beat the Pats last year, but had a few lapses that cost them.

Are you trying to make my point?

Yes, a truly "elite" QB will be successful with "bargain" WRs. But the belief within the Ravens community is that their struggles are due to an absence of quality receivers, which is why they let Torrey and Jones go. They feel they need to find even better receivers. The line that has been repeated, and worn out, for some time now is that the Ravens lack "a true #1 WR." Torrey Smith was not good enough for them, supposedly. So they let him go and plan to get someone better.

But as you pointed out, there is nobody better out there to be had. Even if the salary cap was no problem, they could not buy better talent than Torrey Smith. And they certainly can't expect to draft anyone who will be better. By letting Torrey go, the team shows that they fail to accurately value the importance of receiving talent, even while doting on Flacco as if he were the new Messiah.

I played against Dilfer. He was a varsity sophomore in HS when I was a senior playing strong safety in the Santa Cruz County Athletic League. He was a big kid, but not I don't remember him being an outstanding HS player. He had the physical attributes that scouts like. Dilfer went on to Fresno St. with a passing offense and put up huge numbers and ended up being a high 1st round draft pick. As a Raven's QB (with Shannon Sharpe) he crushed the hopes of us Raiders fans in the playoffs.

the most asinine move the ravens ever made in their existence was letting Dilfer go AFTER he won a superbowl and thinking elvis GARBAGE was an upgrade

The most asinine move in history was when another owner in my dynasty fantasy league traded LaDanian Tomlinson for Grbak when he became the Ravens QB.

The Harbough brothers are great coachs and John for sure is one hell of one the fact he had them back in the playoffs just one year later after a losing season.a year and which they were STILL rebuilding after losing their key leaders from two years ago.had their starters in the secondary not been injured,they would have beat the cheatriots.

Dilfer was hardly a star qb. He was pretty much what we used to call a "journeyman quarterback".

very true but like I said,he was at LEAST an upgrade over elvis garbage.I just don't understand what the hell the ravens were thinking of back then.

I would have been pissed as hell at them if I was a Baltimore resident.the guy only gets you to the superbowl and wins it no less and they let him go for elvis garbage? talk about downgrading the QB position.:cuckoo:

Sure he was a journeyman quarterback but so was Garbage and while he was not all that good,he at least did not piss off his fellow teammates blaming them for HIS failures.He didn't go around saying-I can throw it but I cant catch it. In a game where he made bad throws as well and was as much to blame as the receivers. He at least was always postitive and had leadership skills. something elvis lacked completely.yet the ravens let Dilfer go for someone like that?:cuckoo::wtf::wtf:

The Harbough brothers are great coachs and John for sure is one hell of one the fact he had them back in the playoffs just one year later after a losing season.a year and which they were STILL rebuilding after losing their key leaders from two years ago.had their starters in the secondary not been injured,they would have beat the cheatriots.

The Ravens have never had a losing season under Harbaugh. Two years ago they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs. They improved to 10-6. In and of itself not so dazzlingly impressive. The most impressive part of this past season for the Ravens was their ability to cope with an astronomical number of injuries in their secondary.

And yet the the Ravens have sold their souls to a par quality quarterback, routinely shedding the play makers who have brought him success. Torrey Smith goes to the 49ers, reunited with his former Ravens teammate Anquan Boldin.

Many in Ravens Nation, fans and team officials alike, believe that the team needs to improve their receiver corps and bring in a "true #1 receiver." Apparently surrounding the quarterback with some of the best receiver corps most teams could dream of isn't enough. Torrey will undoubtedly be replaced with a higher quality free agent....wait, that won't happen because they can't afford one. So Torrey will be replaced by up-and-coming talent.....except that they don't have any up-and-coming talent that actually can compare to his abilities. So Torrey will be replaced by a #1 receiver in the draft....except that there are no real draft options available who would be able to fill such a role.

Apparently Torrey Smith is going to be replaced by a labradoodle, because Joe Flacco is so damn good it doesn't matter who is lined up on the outsides. Which begs the question, why have the Ravens struggled offensively for most of Flacco's tenure, even when he's been surrounded by A-list receiving targets? Apparently the Ravens have forgotten that Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and that you can't expect to succeed be placing all your hopes on one man.
You just won a super bowl only 2 years ago WITH FLACCO. What the fuck are you crying about? I don't remember super bowl repeats ever being a dime a dozen. Try being an Eagles fan and watch your star QB lose 4 nfc championships and the super bowl and then come talk to me.

Also you're comparing apples to oranges. Trent did not take you to that super bowl and win it for you. All he did was manage his games. You had probably the greatest defense in the history of the league. You gave up 10 points a game. 10 points bro! ANY quarterback would be successful in that situation.

I'll take Joe Flacco in the playoffs

Ozzie Newsom generally knows what he is doing with the Ravens. Go back to a Trent Dilfer quality QB and see how you do

I'll take Joe Flacco in the playoffs

Ozzie Newsom generally knows what he is doing with the Ravens. Go back to a Trent Dilfer quality QB and see how you do
Right?

I'm not getting the point of this thread.

You just won a super bowl only 2 years ago WITH FLACCO. What the fuck are you crying about? I don't remember super bowl repeats ever being a dime a dozen. Try being an Eagles fan and watch your star QB lose 4 nfc championships and the super bowl and then come talk to me.

Uh....nobody is crying. And yes, I am aware the Ravens won the Super Bowl a couple years ago with Flacco. They also won a SB with Trent Dilfer. A quarterback does not make a team.

Uh....nobody is crying. And yes, I am aware the Ravens won the Super Bowl a couple years ago with Flacco. They also won a SB with Trent Dilfer. A quarterback does not make a team.

The rules and importance of a quality QB have changed in the 15 years since Dilfer won a SB

How many "average" QBs have won since Dilfer?

New Topics

Forum List

Back