Trees in the Desert: I Have a Dream..

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
No matter what side of the climate change debate you come down on, there is no disputing the atomosphere is filling up with more and more Co2 than before the industrial revolution and the population explosion that came from it.

The burning of fossil fuels is the burning of carbon. That is going into the atmosphere. It was previously locked up in the earth...kind of where you want carbon to be if you like stable temperatures or ones at least that are slightly predictable from year to year. Co2 creates a blanket that warms the earth.

Ice caps condition the weather in the earth's systems. They act as stablizers. If they retreat significantly, so does the predictability of the weather.

Most fossil fuels came from vegetation that rotted and got locked up in the earth from surficial geologic processes. Vegetation has a lot of carbon because plants and trees pull carbon from the air when they respirate and use it to build themselves up. Trees are the paramount example of this.

OK, my dream...

The deserts in the Middle East have a lot of energy. Fuel and solar. I wonder how cool it would be if one of the Arab countries started planting a crapload of cedar tree seedings or other arid loving tree species as an introductory, building the soil up to where a forest could eventually begin again. The ME has tons of sunshine. Why not install solar desalination plants to take ocean water to irrigate patchworks of land to sustain an introductory biome that tree seedlings could eventually be introduced into? Imagine the ME with tall cedars again? Would be something for sure.

If it took off and worked, small parts of the Sahara could begin to be reclaimed in a similar way. At the same time, people in every country could really go on a rampage planting tree seedlings and really get on reforesting the globe. In five to ten years you'd have a bunch of carbon munchers fixing carbon from the atmosphere back down on the surface in the form of locked carbon.

Well?

You start out with a premise that has not happened. The weather is as predictable as ever, there has been no increase in violent weather matter of fact the opposite, and the polar ice is within standard deviation. So rest easy.

The deserts will always be with us unless weather patterns change. You can't really build up the soil with trees, just doesn't happen that way.

I don't villify carbon industries so much as I'd like to see more trees eating up the carbon being pumped into the atmosphere. As you will recall from the OP, I said that all countries should rampage on planting tree seedlings.

No matter what side of the climate change debate you come down on, there is no disputing the atomosphere is filling up with more and more Co2 than before the industrial revolution and the population explosion that came from it.

The burning of fossil fuels is the burning of carbon. That is going into the atmosphere. It was previously locked up in the earth...kind of where you want carbon to be if you like stable temperatures or ones at least that are slightly predictable from year to year. Co2 creates a blanket that warms the earth.

Ice caps condition the weather in the earth's systems. They act as stablizers. If they retreat significantly, so does the predictability of the weather.

Most fossil fuels came from vegetation that rotted and got locked up in the earth from surficial geologic processes. Vegetation has a lot of carbon because plants and trees pull carbon from the air when they respirate and use it to build themselves up. Trees are the paramount example of this.

OK, my dream...

The deserts in the Middle East have a lot of energy. Fuel and solar. I wonder how cool it would be if one of the Arab countries started planting a crapload of cedar tree seedings or other arid loving tree species as an introductory, building the soil up to where a forest could eventually begin again. The ME has tons of sunshine. Why not install solar desalination plants to take ocean water to irrigate patchworks of land to sustain an introductory biome that tree seedlings could eventually be introduced into? Imagine the ME with tall cedars again? Would be something for sure.

If it took off and worked, small parts of the Sahara could begin to be reclaimed in a similar way. At the same time, people in every country could really go on a rampage planting tree seedlings and really get on reforesting the globe. In five to ten years you'd have a bunch of carbon munchers fixing carbon from the atmosphere back down on the surface in the form of locked carbon.

Well?

How can i say.... BULL SHIT!

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, bullshit or rather bullfarts are also contributing to the problem. It isn't theoretical that an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere traps solar heat, it's a fact. Planting trees might be one solution. They breathe in CO2 during the day and expel oxygen. At night, if botany 101 memories still serve me, the process is reversed but less significant because the cooler temps slow down the process.

The overall net is that with reforestation, CO2 would be reduced in the atmosphere and oxygen increased. Plus, trees help condition and stablize local climates. We could use a little more of that too.

Actually, bullshit or rather bullfarts are also contributing to the problem. It isn't theoretical that an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere traps solar heat, it's a fact. Planting trees might be one solution. They breathe in CO2 during the day and expel oxygen. At night, if botany 101 memories still serve me, the process is reversed but less significant because the cooler temps slow down the process.

The overall net is that with reforestation, CO2 would be reduced in the atmosphere and oxygen increased. Plus, trees help condition and stablize local climates. We could use a little more of that too.

One, to date there have been no experiments which prove CO2 has any affect on our atmosphere. Empirical evidence shows that the natural variation rate is unchanged despite increasing of CO2 in our atmosphere. This lays your theroy waste and AGW in general a lie.

CO2 in a controlled CLOSED environment has certain properties which MIGHT lead to warming but in the earths atmosphere that has been disproven due to the didactic lapse rate of water vapor (which is the one item the Alarmist refuse to include in their 'models'. 95% of GHG's and they dont want to show what it does) and the fact it is not a closed system.

As for your tree scenario, you do realize that at night they too use O2 to respirate and emit CO2...

You take a lot on faith.... How is father Gore?

CO2 traps heat? That is a theory, nothing more.

How about a link leading to your fact?

I saw a show not long ago where some guy..I think it was in india maybe...maybe not...can't remember....but it was a desert where this guy lived in his humble little hut. Little by little, he began to plant trees. It's a forest now, in the middle of the desert. Wish I could remember where it was, but it IS possible. If one man can do it, imagine a whole country getting involved.

So you can say "those 700 scientists are just crackpots".. ? :lmao: It is a simple experiment that kids can do in high school chem class. Long ago known about. Much earlier than even the first peep about climate change.

No, this thread is about accepting the existing consensus, repeatable results, and moving forward while we still can.

You can debate your lunacy on another thread. Now if you want to talk about solar thermal desalination to irrigate trees from ocean water, let me know..

That's what I mean. Just this one guy went and saved a very large chunk of real estate. If we as people, even just a few thousand of us got a zeal for planting seedlings and tending them while they got through their dicey age into young trees, (a project that would only take about 10 years +/-), this planet would begin to reverse the damage we have done to it, land and atmosphere.
'
But we'd have to be very careful to hire environmental botanists and soil scientists and hydrologists who together could recommend the proper introductory species that could then be replaced as barren soils built up, into other bigger but perhaps less rugged species. The soils, weather patterns and water availability would all be factors that would have to be plugged into the general equation. But it could be done.

So you can say "those 700 scientists are just crackpots".. ? :lmao: It is a simple experiment that kids can do in high school chem class. Long ago known about. Much earlier than even the first peep about climate change.

No, this thread is about accepting the existing consensus, repeatable results, and moving forward while we still can.

You can debate your lunacy on another thread. Now if you want to talk about solar thermal desalination to irrigate trees from ocean water, let me know..
I know your rhetoric, it is tired and old and often repeated.

Yes, those 700 "Scientist" who are anonymous are crackpots, at least until they all come out of the closet together.

Existing consensus? Another lie, but either way just because there is a consensus among your minority of supposed "scientist", that does not establish a theory as fact.

And what was the simple experiment? Do you have links to share so we can see the experiment of even a list of the 700 Scientists who formed the "consensus"? Long before Climate Change? Well this ought to be fun, share the link or whatever you believe. It should be real fun to see what your knowledge produces.

Yes, but what do you think about planting trees just in case they are right?

Yes, but what do you think about planting trees just in case they are right?
And how about cutting down trees, in the city, so rooftop solar can have light. It is now an issue, if you care to use that Google search of yours.
Nah, just suppliment the burning of carbon with solar thermal, which as you know isn't even close to solar photovoltaic in technology. Augment the power plant serving the home, don't cut down trees around it. ...though...I've actually been in a house where a tree came crashing straight through the roof in a storm and the large trunk came to rest a few inches from my body; the also large branches had impaled a cage all around me that I had to crawl out of in pitch darkness.

But I still like them. OK, how about this, for every tree you cut down near a house for solar, you plant 10 of them where houses are distant?

New Topics

Forum List

Back