Trans fat SUCKS!!!!!!1

CharlestonChad

Baller Deluxe
Jul 2, 2006
Charleston, SC
We should have banned it a long time ago. Trans fat came on the scene just before the rate of ppl getting heart diseases rose. Heart attacks were not common until trans fats were put in our foods to preserve them longer. Trans fats have killed more americans than guns, cars, cigarrettes, or war in the last 50 years. The FDA only requires that food products list the amount they have, and if a serving has under .5g of trans fat, it can be listed as having 0 trans fat.

Anyone else agree that trans fats are killing people at an amazing rate?

got a link

My first post are original words (ie: summary of molecularbio prof's words)

Here's an informative site: http://www.bantransfats.com/

""By our most conservative estimate, replacement of partially hydrogenated fat in the U.S. diet with natural unhydrogenated vegetable oils would prevent approximately 30,000 premature coronary deaths per year, and epidemiologic evidence suggests this number is closer to 100,000 premature deaths annually.""

We should have banned it a long time ago. Trans fat came on the scene just before the rate of ppl getting heart diseases rose. Heart attacks were not common until trans fats were put in our foods to preserve them longer. Trans fats have killed more americans than guns, cars, cigarrettes, or war in the last 50 years. The FDA only requires that food products list the amount they have, and if a serving has under .5g of trans fat, it can be listed as having 0 trans fat.

Anyone else agree that trans fats are killing people at an amazing rate?

I don't disagree that one should seriously watch the amount of trans fat they eat, but I can't agree with a ban on trans fat. It's a free country, dude.

I don't disagree that one should seriously watch the amount of trans fat they eat, but I can't agree with a ban on trans fat. It's a free country, dude.

The average American doesn't even know what a trans fat is. How are they supposed to watch how much they eat if they don't know what to watch for? Trans fats have killed more than cigarettes, yet we make tobacco companies pay to advertise about how deadly their products are.

well then maybe schools shoudl be teaching us practical things such as reading, writing, math, along with nutrition rather than be used for social experiments.

The average American doesn't even know what a trans fat is. How are they supposed to watch how much they eat if they don't know what to watch for? Trans fats have killed more than cigarettes, yet we make tobacco companies pay to advertise about how deadly their products are.

I don't disagree with any of those premises. However, I don't believe that banning bad foods is a function of the federal government. If people want to eat a bunch of trans fats and die 10-30 years early, it's their decision to make. I have no interest in furthering the nanny state.

I don't disagree with any of those premises. However, I don't believe that banning bad foods is a function of the federal government. If people want to eat a bunch of trans fats and die 10-30 years early, it's their decision to make. I have no interest in furthering the nanny state.

Nah, those foods don't have to be banned. They can all be made to taste just as good with standard saturated fats. The reason chemists hydrogenate the fats is to lengthen the shelf lives of the food.

I doubt anyone WANTS to eat trans fats. They don't know that they exist, so they go ahead eating them without knowing it. Just like people didn't know cigs were bad for such a long time.

I'm all for personal freedoms in everyway, but I'm only for those freedoms if the party is making a consentual decision. If people knew that the food they are eating will take 5-20 years off the time they could enjoy with their families and friends, then I doubt they would make the decision to consume it.

Nah, those foods don't have to be banned. They can all be made to taste just as good with standard saturated fats. The reason chemists hydrogenate the fats is to lengthen the shelf lives of the food.

I doubt anyone WANTS to eat trans fats. They don't know that they exist, so they go ahead eating them without knowing it. Just like people didn't know cigs were bad for such a long time.

I'm all for personal freedoms in everyway, but I'm only for those freedoms if the party is making a consentual decision. If people knew that the food they are eating will take 5-20 years off the time they could enjoy with their families and friends, then I doubt they would make the decision to consume it.

The New York Times ran an article about Trans Fat a few years back. Trans fat can be used to lenthen life, but it has other benefits.

The article spoke with the man in charge of experimenting with new doughnuts for Dunkin Donuts. The man is unable to make the same quality doughnut with other types of oil. The consistency of trans fat provides stability in the fluffy airy doughnuts. The doughnuts weaken and cave in with other oils. He says he will keep trying new things, but so far his experiments with other oils are not going well.

I think that we need to raise awareness and search for a healthier substitute, but I do not agree with banning trans fat.

The New York Times ran an article about Trans Fat a few years back. Trans fat can be used to lenthen life, but it has other benefits.

The article spoke with the man in charge of experimenting with new doughnuts for Dunkin Donuts. The man is unable to make the same quality doughnut with other types of oil. The consistency of trans fat provides stability in the fluffy airy doughnuts. The doughnuts weaken and cave in with other oils. He says he will keep trying new things, but so far his experiments with other oils are not going well.

I think that we need to raise awareness and search for a healthier substitute, but I do not agree with banning trans fat.

Why don't you agree with the banning of transfat? Because donuts won't be as tasty? Are you willing to donate a decade off your life to heart disease so junk food and fast food will taste better? The human body does not recognize the fats, so it cannot break them down for digestion as easily, and their structural shape causes them to get stuck in the arteries and accumulate. The structure of them is why they last long and taste better, but why they have and will kill millions.

Why don't you agree with the banning of transfat? Because donuts won't be as tasty? Are you willing to donate a decade off your life to heart disease so junk food and fast food will taste better? The human body does not recognize the fats, so it cannot break them down for digestion as easily, and their structural shape causes them to get stuck in the arteries and accumulate. The structure of them is why they last long and taste better, but why they have and will kill millions.

I used Dunkin Donuts as an example, there are many other junk foods that rely on trans fat. To me the worst part is that they are allowed to put 0 grams when there is less than .5 (businesses screw us by giving a little $$ to our politicians).

The crap food market is a very large industry. It would be nice to say "screw them! ban the fat! the whole industry can be sent to turmoil!", but that would have adverse effects as well.

The best course of action is to raise awareness and avoid eating it. That will motivate the snack companies to come up with a suitable substitute.

I used Dunkin Donuts as an example, there are many other junk foods that rely on trans fat. To me the worst part is that they are allowed to put 0 grams when there is less than .5 (businesses screw us by giving a little $$ to our politicians).

The crap food market is a very large industry. It would be nice to say "screw them! ban the fat! the whole industry can be sent to turmoil!", but that would have adverse effects as well.

The best course of action is to raise awareness and avoid eating it. That will motivate the snack companies to come up with a suitable substitute.

The only realistic way to not eat it is to grow your own food.

Trans fats can be successfully banned without any adverse effects. Check out the link I gave. They switched a whole city off trans fats in restraunts.

The rate of heart diseases has sky rocketed since trans fats hit the market. If we took out transfats less people would die, or they would at least live longer.
Provide a study that conclusively proves trans fats are the cause for an increase in heart disease.

People ate plenty of butter in the 19th century and a heart attack was almost unheard of back then.

As well as lawsuits against corporate food manufactures.

The rate of heart diseases has sky rocketed since trans fats hit the market. If we took out transfats less people would die, or they would at least live longer. People ate plenty of butter in the 19th century and a heart attack was almost unheard of back then.

Portions per meal have doubled in the last 20 years alone, that also plays a role in the diseases associated with trans fat. It does not help that junk food is eaten more now than ever before. In addition, the generation suffering heart attacks grew up when cigarettes were popular. There is a correlation between trans fat and disease, and to some extent it is true. But the correlation is also a result of other factors.

Portions per meal have doubled in the last 20 years alone, that also plays a role in the diseases associated with trans fat. It does not help that junk food is eaten more now than ever before. In addition, the generation suffering heart attacks grew up when cigarettes were popular. There is a correlation between trans fat and disease, and to some extent it is true. But the correlation is also a result of other factors.

Of course, there are other factor that contribute, and we have made efforts to inform people of the consequences of those choice. We have not done so with trans fats.

Forum List

Back