Traditions

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
In my large extended family. Supper at 6:30pm everyone no exceptions, same with Sunday dinner, first weekend of hunting season .Dad let me skip school the friday before. Holidays where all showed up. Thanksgiving, Christmas ,Easter, 4th of July. Gathering at the family cemetery to put flags on those that served on memorial day.

In my large extended family. Supper at 6:30pm everyone no exceptions, same with Sunday dinner, first weekend of hunting season .Dad let me skip school the friday before. Holidays where all showed up. Thanksgiving, Christmas ,Easter, 4th of July. Gathering at the family cemetery to put flags on those that served on memorial day.
How did you celebrate birthdays?

What Christmas traditions did you have?

Birthdays for me was sweet potato pie and a large mug of coffee. While the other kids wee trick or treating. Christ mas was a large dinner. Cutting our own tree. Opening the presents first thing in the morning and then visiting other relatives to see what there kids got.

And then the fun life ended.. Ahh, memories.. Looking back, the weirdest thing is how we never really questioned any of it. Calling it "tradition" was reason enough to do almost any silly thing, year after year. And we liked it. We loved it!

Formally structuring family life around "observing" certain dates and their associated protocols provided enough. "This is how it's always been done." "But why, Mom?" never passed through one's lips. Ignorance was truly bliss.

In my large extended family.
That alone supplies mountains of explanation. We were humbled by virtue of literally being only one among many that had to be considered. All clearly needed to pitch in and work as a team or the whole faced certain loss or peril.

Forum List

Back