Toys for Tots Rejects Jesus Doll

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.
A suburban Los Angeles company offered to donate 4,000 of the foot- tall dolls, which quote Bible verses, for distribution to needy children this holiday season. The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia- based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on Biblical figures.

But the charity balked because of the dolls' religious nature.

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Michael La Roe, director of business development for both companies, said the charity's decision left him "surprised and disappointed."

"The idea was for them to be three-dimensional teaching tools for kids," La Roe said. "I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible."

According to the company's Web site, the button-activated, bearded Jesus, dressed in hand-sewn cloth outfits and sandals, recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." It has a $20 retail value.

Grein also questioned whether children would welcome a gift designed for religious instruction. "Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun," he said.

The program distributed 18 million stuffed animals, games, toy trucks and other gifts to children in 2005.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/14/D8LD0V300.html

I can see the Marines point of view. In saying that, it wouldn't have done any harm to take the dolls and those that wanted them could have taken them. It's not like they were shoving them down peoples' throats...might have had some takers, too...

I can see the Marines point of view. In saying that, it wouldn't have done any harm to take the dolls and those that wanted them could have taken them. It's not like they were shoving them down peoples' throats...might have had some takers, too...

I don't think the kids choose their own toys. They're distributed en mass. So some poor kid is going to get a Jesus doll whose family isn't religious... or isn't Christian. The Marines did the right thing!

I'm not quite certain why they want to take something that's supposed to just let kids get a gift who might not otherwise get one and make it into part of their evangelical efforts..... cause that's really what we're talking about here. But you already know that. ;)

I don't think the kids choose their own toys. They're distributed en mass. So some poor kid is going to get a Jesus doll whose family isn't religious... or isn't Christian. The Marines did the right thing!

I'm not quite certain why they want to take something that's supposed to just let kids get a gift who might not otherwise get one and make it into part of their evangelical efforts..... cause that's really what we're talking about here. But you already know that. ;)

The Phony War on Christmas
We’ve all heard the horror stories. To uphold the anti-Christian ideals of our Founding Fathers, community leaders across America are finally taking the necessary steps to sterilize their towns of any religious imagery. Nativity scenes are banned from public areas. “Christmas Trees” are changed to more tolerant “Holiday Trees”. Kris Kristofferson is shunned like a topless dancer at an Amish wedding. At last, the normally exclusive holidays are becoming more accessible to everyone, and it’s pushing all the biblethumping Whos in Whoville right off the deep end. “It’s a War on Christmas!” is the desperate cry from the religious right, their hysteria fueled by hate radio and digital brownshirts.

I’ll let you folks in on a little secret: there is no “War on Christmas”. It’s all a lie concocted by the right-wing media to distract attention away from the quagmire in Iraq. Go ahead! Decorate your silly little Christmas tree and guzzle your spiked eggnog in honor of 2000 years of religious genocide. Whatever you do in the privacy of your home is your own damn business, as long you keep it there and away from the eyes of impressionable children. Let’s leave the “Come to Jesus” crap at home and preserve the public arena for anti-war marches and gay pride parades.

And that goes double for any fundamentalist punks who get their Christmas jollies terrorizing hard-working families. Several local cells of the American Taliban have been roaming my neighborhood like packs of wild dogs, singing songs about Baby Jesus and leaving mysterious baskets of fruit and cookies on the doorsteps of their unsuspecting victims. Personally, I’ve found that an ordinary lawn sprinkler provides excellent protection against such unwanted visits from the yodeling God Squad. I had three or four hours of blessed peace and quiet last night before a knuckle-dragging neocon starting pounding on my door and yelling obscenities at me.

“Turn it off, you stupid jackass! Water is leaking through the ceiling five floors down!”

Well, you should have thought of that before you sent your snots up to proselytize at a progressive, you intolerant bastard.

I am constantly amazed by the selfishness and insensitivity of some people, especially so close to the Winter Solstice.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/religion/index.html

eh? I think they're okay for that decision. Frankly, even for my kids, a Talking-Jesus doll is pretty crappy of a Christmas gift.

We're talking about Toys for Tots here. Beggers can't be choosers!

Since when? Most people who depend on handouts have been telling the those providing the handouts when, how, where, and in what amount they want said handouts

M'eh...

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Talking Jesus dolls are a pretty crappy gift to get for Christmas... But that isn't why they rejected them.

Many people at my Buddhist Center celebrate this as a secular cultural holiday, imagine some of them receiving such a gift!

M'eh...

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Talking Jesus dolls are a pretty crappy gift to get for Christmas... But that isn't why they rejected them.

Many people at my Buddhist Center celebrate this as a secular cultural holiday, imagine some of them receiving such a gift!

Why would anyone be surprised that a gift from a Christian includes something that is Christian?

I don’t have a problem with this decision at all. The Toys for Tots program benefits 1000s of children across the Country every year. They run a great program and should not be criticized for this logical decision.

The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia- based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on Biblical figures.

Now, is it just me or does anyone else suspect that this company, that also makes Teddy bears, may just be pawning off inventory that isn’t selling for the benefit of a tax deduction?

Why would anyone be surprised that a gift from a Christian includes something that is Christian?

Which is why I said, "Six of one, half a dozen of the other." I can see why they rejected the gift. I wouldn't have been upset if my kid got one. They'd just be horribly disappointed.

I don’t have a problem with this decision at all. The Toys for Tots program benefits 1000s of children across the Country every year. They run a great program and should not be criticized for this logical decision.

Now, is it just me or does anyone else suspect that this company, that also makes Teddy bears, may just be pawning off inventory that isn’t selling for the benefit of a tax deduction?

I'm sure all the stockholders hope that's what they are doing. Smart business move.

Nobody said anything about the kid having to accept the present. As pointed out, pretty crappy present, but a kid can have the choice, no?

Nobody said anything about the kid having to accept the present. As pointed out, pretty crappy present, but a kid can have the choice, no?

I'm not quite certain, but I think Toys for Tots just distributes the gifts boy/girl... I doubt if the individual kids get a choice. Also, as was pointed out, Toys for Tots is run by military folk... it's not their job to prosyletize. Nor is it permissible for them to do so. And let's face it, the only reason for the offer of the donation was to prosyletize to little kids.... regardless of what their parents may think of that.

I do wonder, however, if they'd accept a talking doll of Muhammed?

And let's face it, the only reason for the offer of the donation was to prosyletize to little kids.... regardless of what their parents may think of that.

Really? Where was it that you discovered this motivation ? If you were on a witness stand and I were to ask you if you had any proof to back up this claim you better answer "no" or it would be perjury.

Forum List

Back