Toxic Tesla S Lithium Battery Explodes In Crash

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Temecula California
Yes folks, it is true, Renewables, Clean, Green, Energy proves again that it is a lie. A Tesla model S killed its passangers than exploded it's Lithium batteries creating a nice toxic mess.

The damage to the atmosphere and climate will be unreported and unaccounted for.

I am now astonished to learn the Tesla model S is using Magnesium batteries? Is that in addition to lithium or because Tesla can not buy enough lithiun or maybe technically lithium is a failure in a toy that is extremely high amperage.

I am going with lithium does not work despite the hype.

The short answer is it is Lithium Magnesium, I think. Looks like the magnesium is not reported, given it loves to burn and explode.

You think? Do you NEVER just look anything up?

Rechargeable lithium ion batteries are made with lithium and potassium or lithium and cobalt. No magnesium.

And if you want to see something burn, put lithium into contact with water.

Perhaps one should point out that there are many, many fires that kill people in the crashes of gas and diesel powered vehicles. And the safety record of the Tesla vehicles has been exemplary thus far.

No mention of magnesium batteries here but tbe vudeo clearly states lithium.

What Goes Into A Tesla Model S Battery--And What It May Cost
Poor Ms. Elektra, once again demonstrating what an ignorant fuck she is. That article is from 2013, before Tesla had built it huge battery factory in Reno. Tesla is bringing down the cost of the batteries every year.
I hope you are right about reduced cost Old Crook...but I have to question everything you post, since you are a foolish Warmer....because I want to install lithium batteries in my 45' Class A diesel motor home with solar on the roof, that gets a whopping 7 MPG..cause I am all about saving the environment you know.

Rechargeable lithium ion batteries are made with lithium and potassium or lithium and cobalt. No magnesium.

The reporter says magnesium, I will take the Fireman's word over yours.

Poor Ms. Elektra, once again demonstrating what an ignorant fuck she is. That article is from 2013, before Tesla had built it huge battery factory in Reno. Tesla is bringing down the cost of the batteries every year.
The factory is only 14% complete, show us that it is building batteries for the model S.

Speaking fo the Tesla Giga factory, taxpayers paid Telsa $1 billion dollars to build the Giga factory. Nevada definately needs Trump to make better deals.

The factory is only 14% complete, show us that it is building batteries for the model S.

Speaking fo the Tesla Giga factory, taxpayers paid Telsa $1 billion dollars to build the Giga factory. Nevada definately needs Trump to make better deals.
Inside Tesla's ginormous battery factory

The plant is strategically located about five hours from Tesla's Fremont, California, factory. That's where the car batteries will be fitted into Tesla's new Model 3 sedans. The lower cost batteries produced here will be crucial for keeping the Model 3's price down to a relatively affordable $35,000 base price. By 2018, Tesla hopes to make enough battery packs here to build 500,000 of the cars each year. The original plan had been to reach that goal by 2020 but Tesla pulled that goal forward by two years speeding up construction on parts of the factory and bringing and installing equipment earlier.

2018 is not that far away

LOL Ms. Elektra still doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground.

Materials and Processing for lithium-ion Batteries

Cathode Materials
State-of-the-art cathode materials include lithium-metal oxides [such as LiCoO2, LiMn2O4, and Li(NixMnyCoz)O2], vanadium oxides, olivines (such as LiFePO4), and rechargeable lithium oxides.11,12 Layered oxides containing cobalt and nickel are the most studied materials for lithium-ion batteries. They show a high stability in the high-voltage range but cobalt has limited availability in nature and is toxic, which is a tremendous drawback for mass manufacturing. Manganese offers a low-cost substitution with a high thermal threshold and excellent rate capabilities but limited cycling behavior. Therefore, mixtures of cobalt, nickel, and manganese are often used to combine the best properties and minimize the drawbacks. Vanadium oxides have a large capacity and excellent kinetics. However, due to lithium insertion and extraction, the material tends to become amorphous, which limits the cycling behavior. Olivines are nontoxic and have a moderate capacity with low fade due to cycling, but their conductivity is low. Methods of coating the material have been introduced that make up for the poor conductivity, but it adds some processing costs to the battery.

Anode Materials
Anode materials are lithium, graphite, lithium-alloying materials, intermetallics, or silicon.11 Lithium seems to be the most straight forward material but shows problems with cycling behavior and dendritic growth, which creates short circuits. Carbonaceous anodes are the most utilized anodic material due to their low cost and availability. However, the theoretical capacity (372 mAh/g) is poor compared with the charge density of lithium (3,862 mAh/g). Some efforts with novel graphite varieties and carbon nanotubes have tried to increase the capacity but have come with the price of high processing costs. Alloy anodes and intermetallic compounds have high capacities but also show a dramatic volume change, resulting in poor cycling behavior. Efforts have been made to overcome the volume change by using nanocrystalline materials and by having the alloy phase (with Al, Bi, Mg, Sb, Sn, Zn, and others) in a nonalloying stabilization matrix (with Co, Cu, Fe, or Ni). Silicon has an extremely high capacity of 4,199 mAh/g, corresponding with a composition of Si5Li22. However, cycling behavior is poor, and capacity fading not yet understood.

No mention of magnesium batteries here but tbe vudeo clearly states lithium.

What Goes Into A Tesla Model S Battery--And What It May Cost
I hope you are right about reduced cost Old Crook...but I have to question everything you post, since you are a foolish Warmer....because I want to install lithium batteries in my 45' Class A diesel motor home with solar on the roof, that gets a whopping 7 MPG..cause I am all about saving the environment you know.
Well then, check out the Tesla Powerwall.

Cathode Materials
State-of-the-art cathode materials include lithium-metal oxides [such as LiCoO2, LiMn2O4, and Li(NixMnyCoz)O2], vanadium oxides, olivines (such as LiFePO4), and rechargeable ...... Manganese offers a low-cost substitution with a high thermal threshold and excellent rate capabilities but limited cycling behavior. Therefore, mixtures of cobalt, nickel, and manganese are often used to combine the best properties and minimize the drawbacks.

And yet, the stupidest fucking liar on the board dimwittedly quotes a source that confirms magnesium is used in lithium batteries!

LiMn, What is Mn? Maganese oxide, ie. magnesium.

You never took chemistry, did you. Manganese and magnesium are two different elements. I believe you owe Mr Old Rocks an apology

periodic-table.jpg

See 12 (magnesium) and 25 (manganese)

Last edited:
You never took chemistry, did you. Manganese and magnesium are two different elements. I believe you owe Mr Old Rocks an apology

periodic-table.jpg

See 12 (magnesium) and 25 (manganese)
You are still wrong and have yet to reply to your errors in regards to lithium. Dont worry about old crock, I have not finished with him and lithium magnesium batteries.

Magnesium is the base agent that the other components are placed in.

Only problem is when it degrades it becomes a resistor that lights on fire. once its started it does not stop unless it is smothered with foam or other sand and oxygen killing agents and it burns at about 2500 deg F. there wont be anything left. If you hit it with water it will explode.. One of the degrading problems is other chemicals used in the batteries.. they are time bombs.

Most small fire departments do not have many of the resources necessary and must watch it burn. surround and contain. Remember those hover boards and galaxy III phones that just blew up, same problem..

Last edited:

Trump would have given them $2B.

Only problem is when it degrades it becomes a resistor that lights on fire. once its started it does not stop unless it is smothered with foam or other sand and oxygen killing agents and it burns at about 2500 deg F. there wont be anything left. If you hit it with water it will explode..

Most small fire departments do not have many of the resources necessary and must watch it burn. surround and contain. Remember those hover boards and gallexy phones that just blew up, same problem..

Which small fire departments don't carry foam?

Only problem is when it degrades it becomes a resistor that lights on fire. once its started it does not stop unless it is smothered with foam or other sand and oxygen killing agents and it burns at about 2500 deg F. there wont be anything left. If you hit it with water it will explode..

Most small fire departments do not have many of the resources necessary and must watch it burn. surround and contain. Remember those hover boards and gallexy phones that just blew up, same problem..

Which small fire departments don't carry foam?
Many first responder departments, in rural areas, do not have foamers.

New Topics

Forum List

Back