Toronto man vows to eat 14-year-old can of soup in hopes of raising $10,000 for local food bank

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
If you are going to engage in inspiring civic behaviour and donate to those less fortunate, don't be a lowlife and donate something which is over a decade old.

The Parkdale Community Food Bank is garnering attention on social media following a “souper” interesting fundraising initiative after being donated 14-year-old soup.

In an Instagram post made Wednesday, the food bank announced that one of its community members has volunteered to eat a can of President’s Choice Chicken with Egg Noodle soup from 2006 if people donate $10,000 by Nov. 25.

“We posted the 2006 can on our Instagram story letting our community know to not donate items that are no longer safe for consumption.” said Kitty Raman Costa, Operations Manager at the Parkdale Community Food Bank. “One of our amazing community members, Oliver O’Brien sent me a direct message and let me know that he would eat the soup if our community rallied together and raised $10,000.”

In preparation for what can potentially become a soupy mess, O’Brien says that his training regime has been “rigorous and relentless,” ingesting samples of expired canned food, doing bicep curls of Campbell’s chunky soup and meditating in front of an Andy Warhol canned soup painting.

“Do I want 15 minutes of fame based on eating soup that was nearing legal driving age?” Oliver O’Brien wrote in an email to The Star. “The thing about food is that most people agree they would prefer to consume it before it passes its expiry date — including Parkdale community food bank’s clients. Just because someone is having trouble getting food, doesn’t mean they deserve to be given something no one else wants to eat.”

He's an attention whore. I have some military-issue MRE's that are older than 14 years, and they're just fine.

Now if he were going to eat a dead mouse or something....

I used to live in Parkdale

I'm not surprised

Not a nice part of town. Then again, all of T.O is becoming a shytehole.

I lived there in the 1990s, closer to High Park. I was last there 10 years ago. It was gentrifying.

The Food Bank said they received some food from the 1990's. That's how classy some scumbags are in Canada. Strip people further of their dignity when they are down and out. A key characteristic of cowards, and in fact, many Canadians unfortunately.

Forum List

Back