Top rated WW2 propaganda movies on Pearl Harbor day

Most of it was filmed in Florida near Miami. The cinematography is much better than most war films in the 40's.
Robert Montgomery is often overlooked but he was a decorated US Navy vet

Turner Classic movie channel had a strange movie called the (49 Parallel) circa 1942 about a German sub crashing in Canada and the crew escaping. Raymond Massey portrayed a Canadian Soldier confronting the escaped German. It was mostly a talky drama focusing on the Nazi psychology.

Last edited:
Robert Montgomery is often overlooked but he was a decorated US Navy vet
There were several others in the production of this movie that served, principally John Ford and his cameraman. Unlike his friend and protégé John Wayne, Ford jointed up in 42. This created a problem for MGM who planned to make and release the movie in 42 with Ford directing. Their firm belief that this movie needed Ford's direction resulted in the movie being filmed around Ford's availability. Thus the film was not released until Dec 1945, after the war was over.

Turner Classic movie channel had a strange movie called the (49 Parallel) circa 1942 about a German sub crashing in Canada and the crew escaping. Raymond Massey portrayed a Canadian Soldier confronting the escaped German. It was mostly a talky drama focusing on the Nazi psychology.
This is an often overlooked WII propaganda film. It has a good cast and is a well made film. The story won an academy and was nominated in several other categories. There are only a couple of battle scenes as the movie focuses on the sub crew's attempt to escape traveling across Canada.

The purpose of the film was to help sway opinion in the then neutral United States. The director said, "I hoped it might scare the pants off the Americans" and thus bring them into the war. However the film was not release in the US until 1942 and the US was already in the war.

I enjoyed the film years ago when I first saw it.

Trailer

Full Length Movie

Tora! Tora! Tora! is an amazing collaboration between the USA and Japan in telling the story of what happened during the attack on Pearl Harbor. As such, it is a great movie that uses the inputs of the two countries involved in that event nearly three decades after the bombing happened. I believe it's available on Netflix

I think 'Tora,Tora,Tora' movie was the closest thing to reality of them all. But then I'm not sure of much these days.

Forum List

Back