Top rated WW2 propaganda movies on Pearl Harbor day

Air Force
Made in the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attack, it was one of the first of the US patriotic films, sometimes referred to as wartime propaganda. It was good WII movie starting John Garfield, John Ridgely, Gig Young, Arthur Kennedy, and Harry Carey.

The film's storyline revolves around an actual incident that occurred on December 7, 1941. An aircrew ferries an unarmed 1940 series Boeing B-17C Flying Fortress heavy bomber, named the Mary-Ann, across the Pacific to the United States Army Air Corps base at Hickam Field. They fly right into the middle of the Japanese air attack on Pearl Harbor and the beginning of America's major involvement in the Second World War.

I think it is one better WWII patriotic movies.

Trailer

Complete Movie

Tora! Tora! Tora! is an amazing collaboration between the USA and Japan in telling the story of what happened during the attack on Pearl Harbor. As such, it is a great movie that uses the inputs of the two countries involved in that event nearly three decades after the bombing happened. I believe it's available on Netflix

Air Force
Made in the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attack, it was one of the first of the US patriotic films, sometimes referred to as wartime propaganda. It was good WII movie starting John Garfield, John Ridgely, Gig Young, Arthur Kennedy, and Harry Carey.

The film's storyline revolves around an actual incident that occurred on December 7, 1941. An aircrew ferries an unarmed 1940 series Boeing B-17C Flying Fortress heavy bomber, named the Mary-Ann, across the Pacific to the United States Army Air Corps base at Hickam Field. They fly right into the middle of the Japanese air attack on Pearl Harbor and the beginning of America's major involvement in the Second World War.

I think it is one better WWII patriotic movies.

Trailer

Complete Movie

in the movie they also go to wake island and Guam and the Philippines... That and they were expendable were made quickly... As a francophile I like the ones like Casablanca Passage to Marseille... and the old Dunkirk with John Mills...

Propaganda is communication that is primarily used to influence or persuade an audience to further an agenda
What agenda? Influence people to do what exactly?
Be proud of their country and the soldiers who died fighting it? Ohh.... can't have that!!
Yeah these dirty movies influenced children everywhere to look at their parent/grandfathers who fought in WW II as heroes. What a nightmare.
Better to tell them Russia won WW II.

Be proud of their country and the soldiers who died fighting it? Ohh.... can't have that!!
Yeah these dirty movies influenced children everywhere to look at their parent/grandfathers who fought in WW II as heroes. What a nightmare.
Who said there was anything wrong with it, nut job? I just watched they were expendable and Air Force a couple days ago. God bless Turner Classic Movies. As opposed to the GOP hateful divisive unamerican untrue fearmongering propaganda on fox and from conspiracy nut jobs on the Internet.

in the movie they also go to wake island and Guam and the Philippines... That and they were expendable were made quickly... As a francophile I like the ones like Casablanca Passage to Marseille... and the old Dunkirk with John Mills...
I agree. However most WWII movies made during the war were concentrating on helping the war effort, keeping the production time to 2 or 3 weeks, and minimizing cost. In 42, there was a growing shortage of employees across American as in Hollywood due to the war effort. All movie production staff was effect from grips to actors to directors. The quality of scripts, direction, and acting took a back seat to getting it done now. During 1942, the war news was pretty grim and American movie goers as well as the government wanted to see our guys kicking the crap out of the enemy and that is exactly what Hollywood was trying to do often on limited resources. The best WII movies were made in the latter part of war or after the war.

In 1942 the Japanese took Guam, Hong Kong, Wake, Singapore and the Philippines. The war news was pretty bad for the allies most everywhere. With the lost of more than half the pacific fleet and 75% of the planes at Pearl and nearby air bases destroyed, cities on the west coast were preparing for an invasion. Americans were asking can we effectively fight a war across the Atlantic and the Pacific? The draft and reserve callups was hitting almost every family in America. Rationing was starting as shortage started to appear. And yes, there were people suggesting we stay home and let Hitler have Europe and let the Japanese have all those useless islands in the Pacific and China.

This was also the year when the US economy switched to producing tens of thousands of military vehicles and tanks, 300,000 military aircraft, thousands of ships, and thousands of tons of munitions to supply the US, Russian, and British war effort. Almost every major industrial plant in the country began working 24 hour days, 7 days a week. The only way American industry could support the war effort was with the full support of the American people. And that is when all the patriotic movies, books, and music filled the country. This propaganda became critical in the war effort. It is hard to conceive of this effort when today we fight wars and most Americans hardly even take notice with no changes in their daily life.

Last edited:
In 1942 the Japanese took Guam, Hong Kong, Wake, Singapore and the Philippines. The war news was pretty bad for the allies most everywhere. With the lost of more than half the pacific fleet and 75% of the planes at Pearl and nearby air bases destroyed, cities on the west coast were preparing for an invasion. Americans were asking can we effectively fight a war across the Atlantic and the Pacific? The draft and reserve callups was hitting almost every family in America. Rationing was starting as shortage started to appear. And yes, there were people suggesting we stay home and let Hitler have Europe and let the Japanese have all those useless islands in the Pacific and China.

This was also the year when the US economy switched to producing tens of thousands of military vehicles and tanks, 300,000 military aircraft, thousands of ships, and thousands of tons of munitions to supply the US, Russian, and British war effort. Almost every major industrial plant in the country began working 24 hour days, 7 days a week. The only way American industry could support the war effort was with the full support of the American people. And that is when all the patriotic movies, books, and music filled the country. This propaganda became critical in the war effort. It is hard to conceive of this effort when today we fight wars and most Americans hardly even take notice with no changes in their daily life.
Yeah... except all of these movies were made after the war.
Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP... but to call these old movies "propaganda" is a bit much.

Yeah... except all of these movies were made after the war.
Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP... but to call these old movies "propaganda" is a bit much.
I prefer to call them patriotic movies but technically yes, they are propaganda movies, biased and used to promote America's part in war. I think it did help win the war.

No doubt that if there had been something like social media during WWII, Nazis, anarchies, free speech enthusiasts, and other opponents of the war would have made sure that government bias, misrepresentations, government infringements on personal liberties, and American military atrocities were well publicized and the outcome of war would have been quite different.

Last edited:
I prefer to call them patriotic movies but technically yes, they are propaganda movies, biased and used to promote America's part in war. I think it did help win the war.

No doubt that if there had been social media during WWII, Nazis, anarchies, free speech enthusiasts, and other opponents of the war would made sure that the misrepresentations, and American military atrocities were well publicized and the outcome of world would have been quite different.
But again, these movies were after the war. So not sure how they could help win a war that is already well in the past??
And yes they were patriotic. And there is nothing wrong with that.
All war movies don't have to show the horrors of war. Who would want to watch that?
War itself is an atrocity. So yeah, there is going to be bad things happen. No need to concentrate on that all the time.

But again, these movies were after the war. So not sure how they could help win a war that is already well in the past??
And yes they were patriotic. And there is nothing wrong with that.
All war movies don't have to show the horrors of war. Who would want to watch that?
War itself is an atrocity. So yeah, there is going to be bad things happen. No need to concentrate on that all the time.
What movies where you referring to? I was writing about the WWII movies made during the war such as Casablanca and Air Force both filmed in 1941 and They Were Expendable filmed in 1944.

What movies where you referring to? I was writing about the WWII movies made during the war such as Casablanca and Air Force both filmed in 1941 and They Were Expendable filmed in 1944.
I saw Tora Tora Tora (1970)... like I say... I could have misunderstood.
Propaganda is a pretty negative word. Not one I would use.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is an amazing collaboration between the USA and Japan in telling the story of what happened during the attack on Pearl Harbor. As such, it is a great movie that uses the inputs of the two countries involved in that event nearly three decades after the bombing happened. I believe it's available on Netflix

Its the best Pearl Harbor movie ever made

They Were Expendable may be the best movie made during the war

Forum List

Back