Top Biden ally Jim Clyburn pleads with him & Kamala to scrap filibuster for election reform...Biden will rally the troops Tuesday in Philly

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
does Biden have the authority to do that, though?

key excerpt:

If the two voting rights bills before Congress don’t reach Biden’s desk soon, Clyburn said, “Democrats can kiss the majority goodbye.”

“I can see in a state like Georgia — where people stepped up in January in a way nobody thought they ever would — I can see the disappointment in the voters to the extent that [Sen. Rafael] Warnock would not be back,” he added.

In response to Clyburn’s comments, a White House official noted Biden’s respect and admiration for the congressman and the president’s support for a talking filibuster, which requires a senator or group of senators to physically be on the floor to stall a bill. But Biden has dodged questions about whether he believes filibustered legislation should no longer have to meet a 60-vote threshold to pass.

I hope that the president gets a little more aggressive,” said Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.), who could lose his seat if Republicans decide to gerrymander the districts in Kentucky during redistricting. “Obviously they have a very full plate and they're trying to deal with a lot of things [but] there are many of us who believe that particularly after the Supreme Court decision that we really are at a critical juncture in terms of protecting Democracy.”

Yarmuth added that Democrats have a “deep fear” about “what happens to our democracy period. Not who wins in 2022, what happens to democracy.”

Biden has nothing to do with the filibuster. It's a Senate matter.
Yep. It's a simple rules change and can be accomplished on a tiebreaker vote by Harris. So far, Manchin and Sinema calculate they'd lose if they support it but with over a year to go, I expect the Dems to stop being nice about it and to "convince" them to do what's "best" for the country.
HR1 is a call to battle. It will effectively make America a single-party nation and there will be no end to the tyranny it will allow. Like-minded states should IMMEDIATELY begin consultations and negotiations for a secessionist movement the MOMENT HR1 is signed into law.

• Banned
"if Biden dies, and Kamala becomes president, will she do her famous cackle laugh upon hearing the news?" - Dick Morris

New Topics

Forum List

Back