Too much testing makes the US look bad...

Is the OP denying the fact that unnecessary testing is not smart?

We can't test our way out of the virus, that's not how this works.

That is the reason republicans oppose testing. They’d rather have people die than make the blob look bad

Lol. Extrapolating the numbers, there are probably about 20 million infected with, 60-80 percent asymptomatic. This drives the mortality rate even lower so be careful what you're begging for.
I kind of like the mortality rate dropping. Some place being much more hot spot problem than others, I favor state and local governments using their best judgment as they work toward opening back up. Makes sense.

That is the reason republicans oppose testing. They’d rather have people die than make the blob look bad

Lol. Extrapolating the numbers, there are probably about 20 million infected with, 60-80 percent asymptomatic. This drives the mortality rate even lower so be careful what you're begging for.

The mortality rate isn't something known until it's all over. As for the rest of the post, "probably 20 million" sounds like a random shot in the dark, there are certainly more than we know of but the salient point here is that those asymptomatics, which can account for half the positive tests, as long as they're unidentified as carriers, continue to spread the virus to others wherever they go, and as long as that goes on we continue to allow the virus new hosts to infect. We are in effect Sisyphus pushing the rock uphill.

That's exactly why testing is so crucial, so that those asymptomatic carriers can be identified and then quarantined. That's how Iceland and South Korea and Taiwan and the other places that have flattened their curve, did it.

You're stating the obvious though. We do know the number of infected is way higher which will drive down the mortality rate. The question is how do you administer a test to 370 million people?

You CAN'T drive down the mortality rate. That's going to be wherever it settles. You CAN drive down the infection rate, which is why we have so much locked down. But until you identify those silent carriers, you can't stop it.

Yea it does work that way.

South Korea has proven that. Social distancing/isolation...testing...contact tracing...and quarantine are HOW you beat a pandemic

Trump is putting so little emphasis on testing (anyone but himself and the people around him) because he thinks the higher the infection numbers are...the worse he looks.

What a stupid way to approach it. This thing is way beyond bullshit

I kind of like the mortality rate dropping. Some place being much more hot spot problem than others, I favor state and local governments using their best judgment as they work toward opening back up. Makes sense.

The mortality rate isn't something known until it's all over. As for the rest of the post, "probably 20 million" sounds like a random shot in the dark, there are certainly more than we know of but the salient point here is that those asymptomatics, which can account for half the positive tests, as long as they're unidentified as carriers, continue to spread the virus to others wherever they go, and as long as that goes on we continue to allow the virus new hosts to infect. We are in effect Sisyphus pushing the rock uphill.

That's exactly why testing is so crucial, so that those asymptomatic carriers can be identified and then quarantined. That's how Iceland and South Korea and Taiwan and the other places that have flattened their curve, did it.

You're stating the obvious though. We do know the number of infected is way higher which will drive down the mortality rate. The question is how do you administer a test to 370 million people?

You CAN'T drive down the mortality rate. That's going to be wherever it settles. You CAN drive down the infection rate, which is why we have so much locked down. But until you identify those silent carriers, you can't stop it.

Yeah, that was the wrong choice of words but mathematically if the infection numbers are higher and your proportionate death rate stays the same, your mortality rate will be lower. The problem though is some countries aren't locking down ie sweden and their rates are lower.

Yea it does work that way.

South Korea has proven that. Social distancing/isolation...testing...contact tracing...and quarantine are HOW you beat a pandemic

They haven't done such thing.

Which is why you have to bundle dozens of other items.

And now we have a special performance of Dostoevsky "The Idiot".
We now present that idiot...
Trump says doing too much coronavirus testing makes the US 'look bad' as he pushes for the country to reopen

"The media likes to say we have the most cases, but we do, by far, the most testing. If we did very little testing, we wouldn't have the most cases.

Yet another Rumpism, or as we used to call it, a "lie".

At the moment we have tested exactly 2.624% of our population. By contrast Iceland has tested 15.5%. The Faeroe Islands have tested over 17%. Those countries were hit early and responded with testing and as a result arrested the spread. Same is true of San Marino (8.71%).

Iceland has a total of TEN (10) deaths, the last one occurring three weeks ago. In the past month it has reduced its number of active cases from over a thousand to currently a total of 26. The Faeroe Islands haven't even recorded a new case in over two weeks, and zero deaths.

.Among larger countries that have tested more than we have are Canada (2.74%), Australia (3.1+%), Austria (3.46%), Norway (3.61%), Italy (4.04%), Portugal (5.07%), Israel (5.21%) and Denmark (5.33%). On the whole list the US ranks 41st in testing per population.

Iceland? Iceland? You're comparing that to what? The crowd at a NASCAR race?

Iceland, 344,000

The United States, 330,700,557

Comparing countries with populations less than thousands of our COUNTIES just make you guys look silly, childish.

You completely flunked math, didn't you.

What I compared at all levels was RATES. Not ABSOLUTES. Get your math teacher to explain the difference but let's just say between the two of us, HALF are clueless. Which should be rendered as, half is clueless.

Yeah, that was the wrong choice of words but mathematically if the infection numbers are higher and your proportionate death rate stays the same, your mortality rate will be lower. The problem though is some countries aren't locking down ie sweden and their rates are lower.

Their rates of what?

Sweden has indeed taken restrictive measures, whether you want to call them a "lockdown" or not.

You can get be tested negative for having the COVID-19 virus this afternoon. On the way out of the clinic, you bump into me who is asymptomatic but have the virus. Now you have the virus but you'll "feel" good because you just got an all clear test.

How did this help you or me?
Your example is the same as a woman taking a pregnancy test that tests negative, and then she goes out and has unprotected sex again.

img_1313-whats-your-point-nana-meme-S.jpg

It is not just to test to save a life but it also gives peace-o-mind to the populace to know that their government is actually trying to placate them.

How does it "placate" anyone?

You can get be tested negative for having the COVID-19 virus this afternoon. On the way out of the clinic, you bump into me who is asymptomatic but have the virus. Now you have the virus but you'll "feel" good because you just got an all clear test.

How did this help you or me?
It gives people peace of mind. Right now the majority of folks are scarred..

I've not talked with anyone who is scared. Now they want to get back to work knowing that there will be deaths attributed to COVID-19. If we have to wear face masks, (personally I doubt that they accomplish much) fine, but "I can't afford to lose my business, I just can't". Let's go, let's get the show on the road!

Fair nuff, but why cock-block the 17 page CDC report that would have given idiot governors like Abbott, Kemp, Reynolds and DeSantis some detailed guidance as to best practices? Because I don't think these Trumptards are particularly versed in "best judgement" with regard to science and medicine.

Spare us your best judgement vitriol as blue states lead the way with infections and deaths.

"Blue states" do not exist. "Red states" do not exist. The only time they germinate as such at all is when the Electoral College meets. That body is not involved here.

Their rates of what?

Sweden has indeed taken restrictive measures, whether you want to call them a "lockdown" or not.

Their death rate per million residents.

As of 05/09/2020

2020-05-09-X2.jpg

Death rates are by definition UNKNOWN until all cases resolve.

However of the ones that have resolved, here's Sweden:

Cases which had an outcome: Total 8,191
of which ---
4,971 (61%) Recovered / Discharged
3,220 (39%) Died

That figure won't mean anything until enough time to resolve has passed. But the Sweden question has nothing to do with death rates anyway. That's about infection rates.

maybe someday we can test all lawmakers who show signs of lacking intelligence? like testing Maxine Brown to see what percent of her brain is missing?

Why is it that every time we post proof positive that Donald Trump is cluelessly incompetent and that people are dying as a result, the propaganda brigade tries to derail the thread with off topic bullshit.

Testing is a way to take healthy people into medical care custody so they can be questioned.

You’re drunk again.

Trump cultists are losing what passes for their minds. As Trump becomes increasingly deranged they’re posting stupid comments like this.

And now we have a special performance of Dostoevsky "The Idiot".
We now present that idiot...
Trump says doing too much coronavirus testing makes the US 'look bad' as he pushes for the country to reopen

"The media likes to say we have the most cases, but we do, by far, the most testing. If we did very little testing, we wouldn't have the most cases.

Yet another Rumpism, or as we used to call it, a "lie".

At the moment we have tested exactly 2.624% of our population. By contrast Iceland has tested 15.5%. The Faeroe Islands have tested over 17%. Those countries were hit early and responded with testing and as a result arrested the spread. Same is true of San Marino (8.71%).

Iceland has a total of TEN (10) deaths, the last one occurring three weeks ago. In the past month it has reduced its number of active cases from over a thousand to currently a total of 26. The Faeroe Islands haven't even recorded a new case in over two weeks, and zero deaths.

.Among larger countries that have tested more than we have are Canada (2.74%), Australia (3.1+%), Austria (3.46%), Norway (3.61%), Italy (4.04%), Portugal (5.07%), Israel (5.21%) and Denmark (5.33%). On the whole list the US ranks 41st in testing per population.

Iceland? Iceland? You're comparing that to what? The crowd at a NASCAR race?

Iceland, 344,000

The United States, 330,700,557

Comparing countries with populations less than thousands of our COUNTIES just make you guys look silly, childish.

You completely flunked math, didn't you.

What I compared at all levels was RATES. Not ABSOLUTES. Get your math teacher to explain the difference but let's just say between the two of us, HALF are clueless. Which should be rendered as, half is clueless.

So tell us, how many tests per million people has Iceland conducted as opposed to how many tests per million we have conducted?

Using YOUR figures. Iceland: 344,000 x .155 = 53,320 tests, (Fewer than a college football game)

The United States, 330,700,557 x .02624 = 8,677,582.62 tests. That is only a bit fewer than Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston.

wow-who-d816aae976-S.jpg

Their rates of what?

Their death rate per million residents.

As of 05/09/2020

2020-05-09-X2.jpg

Death rates are by definition UNKNOWN until all cases resolve.

However of the ones that have resolved, here's Sweden:

Cases which had an outcome: Total 8,191
of which ---
4,971 (61%) Recovered / Discharged
3,220 (39%) Died

That figure won't mean anything until enough time to resolve has passed. But the Sweden question has nothing to do with death rates anyway. That's about infection rates.

My mathematician good friend, I gave you the death rate per million up to today, 5/9/2020.

Check it out.

I have no clue what your figures are supposed to purport, nor does anyone else.

Why is it that every time we post proof positive that Donald Trump is cluelessly incompetent and that people are dying as a result, the propaganda brigade tries to derail the thread with off topic bullshit.

Initial fatality estimates for the United States was in excess of at least one million. Given that, as always, President Trump is doing a terrific job!

But we have driven down the mortality rate. Let me guess, you're not an oncologist, are you?

Prostate cancer death [mortality] rates declined 52% from 1993 to 2015 among men. If it had not, I'd be pushing up posies today! :D

Trump is putting so little emphasis on testing (anyone but himself and the people around him) because he thinks the higher the infection numbers are...the worse he looks.

What a stupid way to approach it. This thing is way beyond bullshit
I've already shown that to be bullshit. Trump is putting the maximum emphasis on testing. There are several hospitals in the area that will test anyone who wants one. It says so on their website.

Forum List

Back