Too much candy: Massachusetts Man dies from eating too many bags of black licorice

blame it on corona!

Wow. Death by licorice. Who'd a thunk it? Should have stuck with Hershey's chocolate kisses. What a wonderful town, Hershey, PA. It is truly a pleasure just to breath there.

blame it on corona!

Well, I've been told before that too much of anything can become dangerous if not checked. Seems that this is the case with black licorice. Interestingly enough, I didn't know that there was a compound in it that could cause a person to lose electrolytes and potassium, which can be life threatening if they get too low. Seems that this is what happened to the dude in the OP's story. He would have been okay if he had stuck to red licorice, but switching to black is what killed him.

From the OP's link........................

The problem is glycyrrhizic acid, found in black licorice and in many other foods and dietary supplements containing licorice root extract. It can cause dangerously low potassium and imbalances in other minerals called electrolytes.

This is actually really good information to be putting out btw. I'd be willing to bet that not many people know that black licorice can be deadly.

blame it on corona!

And the Darwin award go to.......

Forum List

Back