Too bad the German resistance to Hitler failed

Once Hitler gained the support of the German media either by force or intimidation, the fix was in. After the war the German people claimed to have no idea of the Concentration Camps in their backyards and seemed shocked when U.S. General Eisenhower forced the German people to to tour the death camps. The historic lesson is that when the media becomes a willing advocate of a political agenda without legitimate criticism, anything is possible.

There is a lesson to learn here and apply to today.

He was trying to make Germany great again.

That is an asshole statement.
Yes it is, I meant it that way. Hitler was just one of many who used a similar nationalist, nostalgic sentiment and ended up ruining their country, their reign ending in disgrace and defeat.

As a student of history, I see Hitler and Obama as being a lot more similar. Both had risky medical schemes- both were hot to trot for gun control- both had a cult of personality. I remember Obama being worshipped like a greek god in Denver during the 2008 convention if no one else does.

Paganism is alive and well.

Assassinating Hitler would have removed an incompetent with a more competent commander; might have saved some American lives, given the date he would have died and the willingness of German soldiers to surrender to American and Allied forces after Normandy, for sure. Many were surprised they weren't fed steaks for their first meal after surrender.

Don't know that it would made a difference re the eastern fronts, but then I don't have a lot of sympathy for eastern Europe and wouldn't have shed one drop of American blood trying to save them from the Soviets.

The occupation zones had already been agreed on, and Eisenhower had already determined the most defensible line he was going to stop at in 1942, and he stuck to the plan, as he should have. It was that plan that got him the top job in Europe before we had any boots in the game.

Forum List

Back