Tomato Mystery and Dilemma!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
This morning, when examining the tomatoes plants after it went down to 35 degrees last night.... we found one of our red, 5 inch at least in diameter across tomatoes bit completely in half.

Gone! No dripping of it on the ground underneath it, like maybe a squirrel or rabbit might leave.... we haven't caught a rabbit eating them yet, but have caught a little red squirrel, and hummingbirds taking a jab or two in to the red ones. Early spring we caught deer eating their leaves...thank goodness they came back, and ended up producing fruit.

Okay, so I am wondering what could have eaten the perfect one half of this humongous juicy red beef steak, that I was so looking forward to eating, out of the wild animals I've seen on my property?

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Groundhog
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?

Last edited:
This morning, when examining the tomatoes plants after it went down to 35 degrees last night.... we found one of our red, 5 inch at least in diameter across tomatoes bit completely in half.

Gone! No dripping of it on the ground underneath it, like maybe a squirrel or rabbit might leave.... we haven't caught a rabbit eating them yet, but have caught a little red squirrel, and hummingbirds taking a jab or two in to the red ones. Early spring we caught deer eating their leaves...thank goodness they came back, and ended up producing fruit.

Okay, so I am wondering what could have eaten the perfect one half of this humongous juicy red beef steak, that I was so looking forward to eating, out of the wild animals I've seen on my property?

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?

Rat.

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?

Sounds like something big. Any paw prints nearby?
I'd guess deer. Or bear second. Although a bear is not generally precise. It will flatten and take out other plants, shrubs, weeds, and leaves in its immediate vicinity.

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?

I'm going with BLACK BEAR. They are Godless Eating Machines. But why would a bear eat only half of your prized tomato? Post a picture, does it look like one bite or a bunch of smaller ones?

1600538890264.png

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?

We discovered that squirrels LOVE immature Meyer lemons

Groundhog.

Final answer.

I always plant extra, that way enough to go around for everybody. lol.
Oh dear, I forgot to list the groundhogs, we spotting them for the first time this year, not in our yard, but another corner of the property...... They eat tomatoes???

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?

I'm going with BLACK BEAR. They are Godless Eating Machines. But why would a bear eat only half of your prized tomato? Post a picture, does it look like one bite or a bunch of smaller ones?
One bite...or even a slice with a knife, almost, and the other half still on the vine.... Matt pulled it off and set it on the ground so whomever, will finish it off, instead of feasting on New ones, was the thought....

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?

Sounds like something big. Any paw prints nearby?
I'd guess deer. Or bear second. Although a bear is not generally precise. It will flatten and take out other plants, shrubs, weeds, and leaves in its immediate vicinity.
We plant our tomatoes in planters, because of slugs and then put slug deterent powder around the planter base...And it has worked out well, compared to in ground tomatoes.

Raccoon
Porcupine
Skunk,
Weasel
Deer
Coyote
Muskrat
Gofer
Field mice
Squirrel,
Chipmunk
Deer
Groundhog
Bobcat
Or

BLACK BEAR?
Thanks for repairing the title-spelling.
I was waiting to see if anyone noticed without
being the grammar police. (tomatoe)

One bite...or even a slice with a knife, almost, and the other half still on the vine.... Matt pulled it off and set it on the ground so whomever, will finish it off, instead of feasting on New ones, was the thought....

I have a butt-ton of deer on my property here on the Central Oregon Coast. Literally they come through in caravans. I love them (especially this year's babies) but they too are Godless eating machines.

I have the main part of my yard and garden fenced off to keep them out of the flowers. They LOVE flowers and I'm certain they'd eat my tomatoes too. They could access the side yard flower and garden area via my deck, but thankfully and for some reason they won't go on my deck (a good thing).

Consider an inexpensive barrier to protect your tomatoes. If you haven't seen a lot of bears around there .. bet it was a deer!

Forum List

Back