Tom Steele: Republicans can't win

Jay Canuck

by Crom you'll pay!
Jul 30, 2009

Excerpt:
GOP Chairman Michael Tom Steele thinks Republicans have "screwed up" for the most part since Reagan. And, he says Rethugs won't win back the House in fall elections and might not be ready to lead even if they do.
That forecast of failure sparked a pushback Tuesday at the GOP and delight the Democrats. Winning back the House would be difficult for Republicans, who are in a 256-178 minority with one vacancy. Steele's book, "Why I Hate Being Black," offers his blueprint for the party's resurgence. Asked Monday by handjob Hannity if Republicans can regain the House, Steele said, "Not this year." He added: "I don't know yet, because I don't know all the candidates yet. We still have some vacancies that need to get filled, but then the question we need to ask ourselves is, if we do that, are we ready?" Steele said: "Our candidates have to be anchored in these principles ... because if they don't, they'll get to Washington, and they'll get drunk with power and throw the steps out the window."
Link

steele-book-gop-crazy.jpg

GOP chairman doubts Republicans can retake House

I watched this on 'Morning Joe' before I left for work today.

I was waiting to see if a Neo-Con would bring this up.

I knew better.

LOL!!
roflmao.gif

So is he just trying to sell his book ( that's the angle the Cons will take I'm betting) or did he just make what he thought was an honest statement in a moment of madness?

It looks like even Steele had to let some truth slip out.

I guess he ran out of lies and excuses, so he fell on the sword of truth.

*shrugs*

what will El Rushbo say after he recovers from his bout of Angina? - this could be the end for Steele.

so steele does speak for the repubs? i don't get it.....you libs you mock him and say he is nothing but a houseboy, talking piece etc.....

shouldn't you being scrambling around the interwebs for what the rush says?

lmao

dems....have no clue what is going to hit them this year

"dems....have no clue what is going to hit them this year"

wow!.....this sounds rather cloak n dagger.

Excerpt:
GOP Chairman Michael Tom Steele thinks Republicans have "screwed up" for the most part since Reagan. And, he says Rethugs won't win back the House in fall elections and might not be ready to lead even if they do.
That forecast of failure sparked a pushback Tuesday at the GOP and delight the Democrats. Winning back the House would be difficult for Republicans, who are in a 256-178 minority with one vacancy. Steele's book, "Why I Hate Being Black," offers his blueprint for the party's resurgence. Asked Monday by handjob Hannity if Republicans can regain the House, Steele said, "Not this year." He added: "I don't know yet, because I don't know all the candidates yet. We still have some vacancies that need to get filled, but then the question we need to ask ourselves is, if we do that, are we ready?" Steele said: "Our candidates have to be anchored in these principles ... because if they don't, they'll get to Washington, and they'll get drunk with power and throw the steps out the window."
Link

Really?? Do you think Michael is a little out of touch with main stream America because I sure do.:lol:

Republicans Edge Ahead of Democrats in 2010 Vote

Republicans don't seem to have any leadership.

At least they pulled together somewhat for the Contract 16 years ago. Unless there's some secret plan being cooked up, the GOP better pray for a miracle, IMO

Steele is just being a realist. 40 votes in the House and 11 in the Senate is an unrealistic goal for 2010. Its like chopping a tree, you don't take it down in one stroke, you have to chop at it.
Republicans need to retake some of the seats and look to take either the House or Senate in 2012.

GOP needs to rebuild its brand, make itself accessable to more points of view and broaden its base. To put your whole strategy on a 2010 knockout punch is doomed to fail

Last edited:
First let me say this I tend to agree that winning back a Majority is a bit of a stretch, but am pretty sure that the Democrats and the Republicans know that a super-majority won't last past this falls election. That said, Michael Steele, doesn't exactly glow confidence as the head of the RNC, then again his skills as the head of the RNC have not been all that outstandingt to begin with. If you were faced with a mid-term election that could possibly win back some of the Republicans seats and also restore some of the partys pride a little, don't you think from a financial standpoint you might be ready for that? Mr. Steele has seen to it that the RNC's budget is at such a low point that there are funding problems. This might explain why many had reservations on his election in the frist place. Frankly, I'm not surprised by a thing Michael Steele does when it comes to running the party. One of the things you would think though as the head of a major political party you would want to do is champion your party anyway you can, rather than lowering expectations, says a lot about motivation.

Forum List

Back