Tom Cotton gathers big donors to talk 2024 presidential race, says a Trump candidacy wouldn't deter him from running

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Cotton said he was prepared to run, and would make a decision after the midterms...he has a book on foreign policy coming up...he would be one of the candidates i support...

excerpts:

Tom Cotton huddled with two dozen of his top donors Tuesday morning to describe his planning for a potential 2024 White House campaign, telling them a comeback bid by former President Donald Trump wouldn’t deter him from running.

Brian Colas, Cotton’s top political adviser, delivered a 15-slide PowerPoint presentation which, among other things, mentioned that the senator and his advisers had studied dozens of past Republican presidential campaigns. They concluded that early national recognition and attention had little bearing on the eventual success of candidates.

What was determinative, Colas argued, was performance in Iowa and New Hampshire, which host the first two nominating contests.

Cotton had already made repeated trips to Iowa and New Hampshire — since 2020, he has gone to Iowa six times and to New Hampshire four times.

When Cotton rose to his feet to speak, he argued that he had developed appeal to the populist and establishment wings of the party, which he contended would serve him well in a primary.

The Cotton team also argued that they were in strong financial shape, noting that Cotton’s Senate campaign committee has $8 million that could immediately be transferred to a presidential effort, enough to sustain him through the early stages of a campaign.

Cotton has remained in touch with Trump since he left office in 2021. But the senator has broken from the former president several times: He voted to certify the 2020 election, and he has highlighted his opposition to Trump’s criminal justice reform efforts, calling it the biggest mistake of his presidency

Last edited:
What's the point in focusing on republican possibilities when nobody is certain whether the current president will even be nominated?

I wouldnt run against trump either. He will get the nom, because Republicans want a dem to win in 2024.

Ivy League (Harvard) educated neocon lawyer who found common cause with the dems on Ukraine....No thanks.

Tom Cotton’s Case for Backing Ukraine’s Military ‘to the Hilt’​

Tom Cotton’s Case for Backing Ukraine’s Military ‘to the Hilt’ | National Review

Yep, another neo-con warmonger, nation builder. No wonder National Review loves him so.

BTW Has National Review dissected '2000 Mules' or are they ignoring it and the ever-increasing evidence over the stolen 2020 election?

• Banned
I wouldnt run against trump either. He will get the nom, because Republicans want a dem to win in 2024.
you're way off, bro...There will be a GOP president in 2024, and it will most likely not be Trump

does this mean if we disagree that we can't be bros anymore? :(

• Banned
My scorecard is a mess, is Cotton currently cult-approved or an evil Satan Hitler commie Deep State Swamp RINO?
Cotton is one of the good ones...though some conservatives hate him for being a hawk on Iran and China

you're way off, bro...There will be a GOP president in 2024, and it will most likely not be Trump

does this mean if we disagree that we can't be bros anymore? :(
You dont think he will run or someone else will get picked?

I welcome him to the election....would love to hear more from him. The GOP has a wide bench it seems of well qualified people....the Dems...and nearly 80 year old, white, rich, man that's been in office for half a century....

You dont think he will run or someone else will get picked?
Trump will run, but will most likely lose...i'm not anti-Trump, but i'd rather give someone else a chance...that's my style with music also, i give all bands a chance, i don't listen to the same stuff all day, i like trying out new stuff

Trump will run, but will most likely lose...i'm not anti-Trump, but i'd rather give someone else a chance...that's my style with music also, i give all bands a chance, i don't listen to the same stuff all day, i like trying out new stuff
I agree....I am all about giving other people chances......don't want to be like the Dembots that finally elected Joey Xiden after rejecting him twice before...what does that say about the state of the party???

It's a bit early, but why not. Right now it seems as if it's Trump's party if he wants (and is able) to run. If he doesn't, I would absolutely expect Tom Cotton to be top three of a lot of lists, at least. He has youth, name recognition, and a spot in the Trump wing.

It remains to be seen if Trumpism works at all without Trump's magnetism, but he has as good a chance as any to find out.

Cotton said he was prepared to run, and would make a decision after the midterms...he has a book on foreign policy coming up...he would be one of the candidates i support...

excerpts:

Tom Cotton huddled with two dozen of his top donors Tuesday morning to describe his planning for a potential 2024 White House campaign, telling them a comeback bid by former President Donald Trump wouldn’t deter him from running.

Brian Colas, Cotton’s top political adviser, delivered a 15-slide PowerPoint presentation which, among other things, mentioned that the senator and his advisers had studied dozens of past Republican presidential campaigns. They concluded that early national recognition and attention had little bearing on the eventual success of candidates.

What was determinative, Colas argued, was performance in Iowa and New Hampshire, which host the first two nominating contests.

Cotton had already made repeated trips to Iowa and New Hampshire — since 2020, he has gone to Iowa six times and to New Hampshire four times.

When Cotton rose to his feet to speak, he argued that he had developed appeal to the populist and establishment wings of the party, which he contended would serve him well in a primary.

The Cotton team also argued that they were in strong financial shape, noting that Cotton’s Senate campaign committee has $8 million that could immediately be transferred to a presidential effort, enough to sustain him through the early stages of a campaign.

Cotton has remained in touch with Trump since he left office in 2021. But the senator has broken from the former president several times: He voted to certify the 2020 election, and he has highlighted his opposition to Trump’s criminal justice reform efforts, calling it the biggest mistake of his presidency

I like Cotton but I think we have better options starting with Santorum and Abbott and rising stars in the wings like Christie Noem.

Forum List

Back