• No, it's not natural

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Not sure/don't know

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Banned
I thought I'd be with my husband til death. I come from a family of swans - the women in my family just automatically mate for life. Unfortunately, they have rotten taste in men (except the lesbian, of course; she picked a pretty good egg).

Anyway. Now that ye olde marriage is somewhere beyond dead, I've been considering the possibility that I've been wrong all this time re: monogamy.

Is monogamy an unnatural human condition? I dunno. I'll have to check with the bride. However, when I informed her it was okay for me to get a BJ from another woman because President Clinton said it wasn't sex she pulled out a large sharp knife and said something I won't repeat here. .

I don't think its natural, for most people its a forced condition, we become attracted to others but can't act on it because of our commitments.

• Banned
But WA - maybe the two of you are the exception, and the rest of us are the norm. I mean - I'd be one of the exceptions, if I found another exception. But apparently the spouse I was with is a serial monogamist, now on his 3rd significant other.

If managomy was natural we wouldn't have such high divorce rates soaring through the roof, and people wouldn't feel the need to slut around like they do in college.

And then there's the 7 year itch. Maybe that's just an average. And maybe it's a cycle, as well. So some people get bit every 7 years, some every 4, etc.

See - I really like George Clooney. And he stays with one woman for how ever long, and then it's on to the next, seemingly with no hard feelings (at least, none that get taken to the tabloids). So maybe he has it right. Relationships, like friendships, are 'for a season'.

And then there's the 7 year itch. Maybe that's just an average. And maybe it's a cycle, as well. So some people get bit every 7 years, some every 4, etc.

See - I really like George Clooney. And he stays with one woman for how ever long, and then it's on to the next, seemingly with no hard feelings (at least, none that get taken to the tabloids). So maybe he has it right. Relationships, like friendships, are 'for a season'.

Well George Clooney is mega rich and can do what he wants, but he has the right idea. I think you can have good relationships with a person that only last for a short amount of time, I was with an Israeli woman in California for 4 months, she was going to return to Europe for school and I was commited to the Military and could not go anywhere so we knew how much time we had together, it made it even more special and awesome IMO.

When I was sixteen, I was walking down the hallway of my small town high school when I saw the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. It took me a week to ask her out. That night, I was so enamoured, I got a little carried away. She slapped me so hard my nose bled.

For two years we were inseparable. I could not imagine myself with another woman. When we were 18, much to the displeasure of our parents, we were married. She stayed beside me and we had three children over 37 years of marriage. It wasn't perfect and we did have arguements. But we NEVER went to bed angry with one another. We never called each other names and I never considered even touching her in anger. Her hair turned gray and she had the most beautiful laugh lines around her eyes.

She became very ill six years ago and I took care of her. I would have taken care of her forever if I had to. Two years ago, she passed away. There is not a day that goes by that I do not want her to be back with me. I am like a lost puppy dog. She was the reason for my life and the reason for the very beating of my heart.

I'm not saying that it goes for everyone, but I do wish that if you are searching, that you could find what I had for just a short period of time. You would understand that there is such a thing as a soulmate...

When I was sixteen, I was walking down the hallway of my small town high school when I saw the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. It took me a week to ask her out. That night, I was so enamoured, I got a little carried away. She slapped me so hard my nose bled.

For two years we were inseparable. I could not imagine myself with another woman. When we were 18, much to the displeasure of our parents, we were married. She stayed beside me and we had three children over 37 years of marriage. It wasn't perfect and we did have arguements. But we NEVER went to bed angry with one another. We never called each other names and I never considered even touching her in anger. Her hair turned gray and she had the most beautiful laugh lines around her eyes.

She became very ill six years ago and I took care of her. I would have taken care of her forever if I had to. Two years ago, she passed away. There is not a day that goes by that I do not want her to be back with me. I am like a lost puppy dog. She was the reason for my life and the reason for the very beating of my heart.

I'm not saying that it goes for everyone, but I do wish that if you are searching, that you could find what I had for just a short period of time. You would understand that there is such a thing as a soulmate...

I am sorry for your loss, you are a lucky man to have found that.

I thought I'd be with my husband til death. I come from a family of swans - the women in my family just automatically mate for life. Unfortunately, they have rotten taste in men (except the lesbian, of course; she picked a pretty good egg).

Anyway. Now that ye olde marriage is somewhere beyond dead, I've been considering the possibility that I've been wrong all this time re: monogamy.

Monogamy is probably one of the "learned" behaviors. I defintely don't think it's hard wired.

Forum List

Back