TO: Fans of Sammy Davis, Jr.

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
Later this year (2018), PBS will show a documentary film entitled "Sammy Davis Jr: I've Gotta Be Me."

I thought you fans would like a few highlights from a movie review.

1. "He was a complicated Black man in a society where race and culture have always posited certain challenges."

2. He was "subjected to such overt racial prejudice [in the Army] that he eventually punched out one of his colleagues."

3. "When he fell in love with white actress Kim Novak, Columbia Studios threatened to ruin both their careers if they married."

4. . He and his wife were "the first Black people invited to stay at the White House."

a. He later apologized for supporting President Nixon.

5. He "was the first Black man to do impressions of white people."

6. He "was the first famous Black entertainer in Hollywood to convert to Judaism."

a. He felt that Judaism helped him recover from a "horrific car accident" in 1954.

7. He died "in his Beverly Hills home from laryngeal cancer" at the age of 64.

Title of article: "I've Gotta Be Me": The Complex Life of Sammy Davis Jr.

Author: Kelly Hartog

Publication: Jewish Journal

Date: April 20 - 26, 2018 (print edition).

Website: JewishJournal.com (I do not know how to link. Sorry.)

For whatever reason, his immense talent is not as celebrated as it should be. Maybe he didn't record enough original songs. Whatever. He was an amazing talent and an interesting person.

now he's a real hero.....putting up with all that hate, yet still entertaining whites
being friendly/polite/etc .....
they didn't let him stay at some hotels he was performing at because he was black
I've recently been listening to I've Gotta be Me

For whatever reason, his immense talent is not as celebrated as it should be. Maybe he didn't record enough original songs. Whatever. He was an amazing talent and an interesting person.
yes, he could sing, dance, act .....

Forum List

Back