to buy a handgun or not, that is the question.

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
suddenly it has come to the attention of my friends that i do not carry.....and my hubby has decided i should get a handgun.....so i begin to look into it....revolver or semi auto..etc and so forth...the pros and cons...

i decided i would go with the revolver ...more dependable....then i made this radical decision....why should i be armed? if i am at home....i have all kinds of protection....if i am out...i am normally with friends who are armed...

plus the pockets of my levis arent big enough for a revolver....i would have to get a bigger purse and go to class for cc.....its just easier to depend on the well armed strangers

then we debate going into the city.....i just dont like cities at all...

so do you carry...why or why not....

suddenly it has come to the attention of my friends that i do not carry.....and my hubby has decided i should get a handgun.....so i begin to look into it....revolver or semi auto..etc and so forth...the pros and cons...

i decided i would go with the revolver ...more dependable....then i made this radical decision....why should i be armed? if i am at home....i have all kinds of protection....if i am out...i am normally with friends who are armed...

plus the pockets of my levis arent big enough for a revolver....i would have to get a bigger purse and go to class for cc.....its just easier to depend on the well armed strangers

then we debate going into the city.....i just dont like cities at all...

so do you carry...why or why not....

so do you carry...why or why not

sometimes

but there is always one close by

my personal opinion is if you are uncomfortable with it

dont do it

however

you can always treat yourself to another pistol though

and if your feelings change go for it

Well Ms. b, if you've never actually needed a personal firearm before chances are you never will.
They do make nifty holsters that clip to the inside of the waistband. That's what I intend to use.

After 16 hours of instruction I'm hoping to have my license by Spring. And yes, I'll carry.

Why? Because I can.

I look at it this way.

You carry a spare tire in the trunk of your car and hope that you will never have to use it.

But it's there in case you need it.

Same with a legal concealed carry hand gun.

You hope and pray you will never be involved in a situation where you need to pull it out.

But it could save your life. .... :cool:

Have never felt the need to be armed.
It comes in handy for doing things like eating, driving, drawing doodles on a pad......

For the general audience of this thread......I carry 4 days a week. You guess which four......:eusa_angel:

For the OP.....I have no advice to give. A weapon is a choice of the individual and anyone's reason to carry or not to carry may or may not be your reasons.

Just get a 12 guage and put it beside the bed. Biden is actually right on this particular issue.

If you're in an outdoor survival situation then things are different.

A revolver is a good choice for a woman who wants to carry a hand gun in her purse. It's easy to load and extremely reliable. Just remember not to put a bullet in the chamber where the hammer is resting. Because if you dropped it and it landed on the trigger the revolver could accidently discharge and hurt someone.

On the other hand, a semi auto is less bulky and easier to conceal under your clothing. But will require a little more training on how to load and insert the clip and other safety issues.

Some people will vote for the semi auto over the revolver because the revolver only holds 6 bullets; whereas the semi auto can hold a dozen or more bullets.

In my opinion, the number of bullets shouldn't be the deciding issue for personal protection. Because I seriously doubt the average citizen is going to be involved in an extended gun battle requiring a dozen or more rounds. So a revolver with 6 bullets is more than sufficient to protect yourself from harm. .. :cool:

not uncomfie...just not sure i see the need for it

I don't own one and never needed one.
Where I live, the police are here after two minutes of making a call.
Look at the trouble people like Zimmerman get into. I'm not saying it has to be him but people who use them get into trouble.

It is my belief that not all criminals are stupid. I believe they will approach you only when you aren't ready so it won't do you any good and could be turned on you or they could come back and take it.

I know a manager who legally has one and who didn't want his anymore.

i am 60.....one time in my home i needed protection....but i opted for a shotgun...dble 00.....my dad always told me....it will kick the hell out of you....and you may fire the next shot from the floor but its gonna stop anything in the room in front of you...one time walking in the woods....i turned around and came back....but that was due to the wolf man....i dont think i had a silver bullet at that time...

face it ...i live deep in hillbilly terrority..not one of these young bucks is gonna let an old woman get hurt on their watch and to tell the truth they are looking for any reason to use their weapons...i have lived here 32 years...i am not local...but my boy is.....so they cut me a lot of slack...

yes sunni i know all that....that is why i prefer the low maintenance reliable revolver....when one needs over 6 bullets....its not time to question draining the swamp...plus the semi autos needs to be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned...as for the concealment...why bother i wouldnt mind the bulge...carries the message?

As someone else pointed out, they make fairly comfortable holsters these days.

For women, a .38 is often the preferred weapon. Whatever you choose, you better practice so you can get used to the noise your weapon makes.

To carry or not to carry. That question is answered by asking another question, "Can I actually shoot someone if I need to?"

If you can't, don't carry. The bad guy will just take your gun from you and use it against you.

Last edited:
not uncomfie...just not sure i see the need for it

I don't own one and never needed one.
Where I live, the police are here after two minutes of making a call.

The national average is 11 minutes.

Sit for two minutes. Seriously. Just sit quietly for two whole minutes. Think about all the things a bad guy could be doing to you during that time.

The first 30 seconds are life and death. If you don't act within that time against a serious bad guy, you're done for.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back