to berretta or not to berreta that is the question......

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
son comes over and says he wants to do the concealed carry....and wants to get a berretta....now i am strictly a shotgun or rifle kinda girl...now hubby is a grumpy non gun person and objects but as i see it my son is 32 and doesnt need permission and has been around guns all his life and been responsible....but the choice of a berretta confuses me....i attempted to talk him into a revolver but no go...so how do yall feel about the berretta?

son comes over and says he wants to do the concealed carry....and wants to get a berretta....now i am strictly a shotgun or rifle kinda girl...now hubby is a grumpy non gun person and objects but as i see it my son is 32 and doesnt need permission and has been around guns all his life and been responsible....but the choice of a berretta confuses me....i attempted to talk him into a revolver but no go...so how do yall feel about the berretta?
I had a .380, 14 shot Beretta that my youngest nagged me out of.

I hate to be a jerk and take it back.

If I was to buy a new gun, just for concealed carry, I think I'd get a hammerless .357 Mag.

The Berretta is a fine handgun in 9mm mode. It was the standard sidearm of US military troops in Afghanistan & Iraq. I owned one and traded it at a gun show for a new Sig Sauer compact 9mm PT250 15-shot double stack. Very popular police & military weapon. Beautiful weapon in fact; what you'd expect in a pistol from German designers. Glock makes a nice compact .38. That's probably the gun I'd use in CC, but here in the great outback we all carry handguns in the open. An armed polity is a polite polity, you know? We haven't had a murder in this county for 6 years.

I prefer a semi-auto to a revolver. The only real issue with a revolver is it is double action for all shots, which makes staying on target difficult at more than a few feet unless you spend a lot of time with it at a range. But it really is a matter of personal preference. I would suggest he go to a range and rent a few different types before actually buying.

he doesnt want a revolver due to it being able to be seen..you can see it under clothes etc...which i do not think is a bad thing....yes...the firing range is a good idea...thanks...

Pretty much any handgun can be effectively concealed. There are various holster configurations, plus the clothing makes a big difference. I have a S&W Airweight .38 (hammerless). It's got a 5 round cylinder.
Most likely, trouble will happen 0-5 feet away not from across the street.

Semi-autos make me nervous. Unless a round is chambered and ready, you'll lose a few precious seconds racking it.

Pretty much any handgun can be effectively concealed. There are various holster configurations, plus the clothing makes a big difference. I have a S&W Airweight .38 (hammerless). It's got a 5 round cylinder.

Semi-autos make me nervous. Unless a round is chambered and ready, you'll lose a few precious seconds racking it.
I am not comfortable with cocked and locked either.

Next one I want is the FN 5.7x28.

That said, average gunfight is three rounds at three feet in three seconds.

Revolver good for most of them.

here is my issue.....why let someone get that damn close.....again a shotgun and rifle type of girl...but alas as my son points out...hauling a shotgun or rifle around is not that easy.....i dont like the idea of chambering a bullet either....i carried a .25 but never chambered a bullet....talk about having to let someone get in close....

here is my issue.....why let someone get that damn close.....again a shotgun and rifle type of girl...but alas as my son points out...hauling a shotgun or rifle around is not that easy.....i dont like the idea of chambering a bullet either....i carried a .25 but never chambered a bullet....talk about having to let someone get in close....
I am not much for letting people get close.

Inside of 5 ft., you are way into my space.

Well, there is a .410 revolver called The Judge. I suppose you could load it with double-ought.
I think 000 is what they use in the .410, but, only three or four fit.

The Judge is more for shits and giggle than anything else.

They wanted to make one in 28 gauge, but for some reason BATF shot that down, or so I heard.

You keep one in the pipe with the hammer down.
Your first shot is double action with no need to rack the slide.
Condition 2.

I am not comfortable with cocked and locked either.

Next one I want is the FN 5.7x28.

That said, average gunfight is three rounds at three feet in three seconds.

Revolver good for most of them.

My normal carry is an H&K .40, which is a double action for the first pull. My wife doesn't care for that and uses a Springfield 9mm, which is "cocked and locked" but won't fire unless you are actually holding the grip. There are any number of configurations out there. I think the most important thing is that you are comfortable with the piece, not that it be a particular make or style.

Go with a H&K compact .45 cal. More knock down power

Go with a H&K compact .45 cal. More knock down power
I hear the knockdown power of the 5.7x28 is awesome.

For shits and giggles, it would be a fine round for an M-1 Carbine type rifle.

I fired a Desert Eagle .50 once. A heck of a lot of fun, but it was kind of like putting a Chevy small block engine in a motorcycle. Just a tad overkill.

double 0 is my friend.....i just like being able to hit whatever is in the room or in front of me....even if my hands are shaking...and sure its gonna kick the hell outta of ya...but whatever i pointed it at is down.....and bleeding...

I'm an MG42 kinda guy but they're extremely hard to conceal....... unless one is in a fixed position........ :eusa_whistle:

double 0 is my friend.....i just like being able to hit whatever is in the room or in front of me....even if my hands are shaking...and sure its gonna kick the hell outta of ya...but whatever i pointed it at is down.....and bleeding...
Standard 9 pellet OO is not that bad.

The three inchers are a bitch.

There are reduced recoil self-defense buckshot loads too.

At in the house ranges, #2 or BB low brass loads are just as effective as buck.

Forum List

Back