To all USM diehard "Conservatives"??

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
Was back at least 9 months ago, I warned you all,, or at least expressed my concern that that GW and the ultra right wingers were going to screw up so bad that the Republicans were going to lose the congress.. Anybody have any balls to admit that WORKING MAN was right????

For those who replied and said I was nuts, and to those who discounted my concerns about the Republicans pissing away all of their "political capitol", and helping usher in the left wing nutcases,, like Pelossi,,,

I told you so!!!

Now, I do realize that this board, like many others on the internet are given little attention by those who should be watching the people's points of view.. I would guess that most of us who use this boards do so just to blow off steam, or collect within a cyberworld of similar thinking folks.. So be it.. But the bottom line,, the Republicans screwed up big time...

no, you werent. Republicans lost because they ignored their conservative base, not because the conservative base was wrong.

The base is pissed off with the party. I think its naive to think they are going to reform it so easily by losing the election but that seems how most feel.

Think is now the big issue: Immigration is in the hands of the people we know are going to do what we didn't want.

Oh well.

Listening to the post election results here in PA, Im quite astounded at how many conservatives were ticked at Senator Santorum. Why? Becuase he supported Arlen Spector two years ago in the primary. While I wasnt thrilled about that decision, I understood why he did it. But apparent alot of conservatives felt betrayed by it, so they helped throw Santorum under the bus to show how upset they were.

Whether the number who were ticked would have been enough to significantly change the outcome, I dont know, but i am very surprised at it nonetheless.

Needless to say, if you think this is because conservatives are wrong rather than just pissed off, i dont think youve looked at all the factors.

"Ultra-right wing" and "conservative" aren't words to describe the Iraq war and the immigration debacle, both supported by Bush.

You were right about the result, but not the reasons. The reason the Republicans lost is because they pissed of the base. The fact is that conservatism always wins in this country, but what the Republicans have been practicing in the past 6 years is not conservatism.

You were right about the result, but not the reasons. The reason the Republicans lost is because they pissed of the base. The fact is that conservatism always wins in this country, but what the Republicans have been practicing in the past 6 years is not conservatism.

The REPUBLICANS lost because they had too many of themselves elected at one time. They have been very cocky in their attitudes. They then ignored issues that many Americans, no matter what their political bend, found important.. So, no stem cell research??? Call Michael Fox a phoney (he probably did jazz it up for the camera)??? Tell me that my girlfriend can't get an abortion?? Say it is ok to give stipends/subsidies to oil companies while they pull in record profits??? And couple these, and other issues to "we are winning the war in Iraq" (even though many bodies of young men and women of the US Armed forces are coming home underneath a draped flag) Then I will tell you that the "base" must have been out drinking last night cause they didn't show up for the vote.. Or,, the "base" isn't as predictable/definable as thought. Maybe people are more comfortable at being in the center, and the Republican policies (actions speak louder than rhetoric) are not palatable for the average American as these policies are too far to the right. And yes, the conservative nature of the old school Republicans is gone. GWs team skated this one two years ago.. Pretty bad when it is the Democrats who want to cut spending. (even though deep down I know I wouldn't trust them to guard the piggy bank either)

One thing I would like to see,, less dependence on the religeous aspect of conservative/republican politics.

Americans do not function well in extreams.....the politicians swung to far right....now the back lash....should swing again in 08....the dems spent 6 years complaining they could do better....god help the if they don't

Americans do not function well in extreams.....the politicians swung to far right....now the back lash....should swing again in 08....the dems spent 6 years complaining they could do better....god help the if they don't

I just posted a note to this effect. I have to hand it to him, as far as some of the insight he had about where the Republicans went wrong. I agreed with him to a point,,, the point where he said Hillary would make a good president (with some caveats)

I just posted a note to this effect. I have to hand it to him, as far as some of the insight he had about where the Republicans went wrong. I agreed with him to a point,,, the point where he said Hillary would make a good president (with some caveats)

remeber johnson? who did we get?

remember jimmy carter? who did we get?

remember clinton who did we get?

bush ..... who is the big swing the other way .....?

americans are over reacting .... americans have always done this ....

all yall seem so surprised....

remeber johnson? who did we get?

remember jimmy carter? who did we get?

remember clinton who did we get?

bush ..... who is the big swing the other way .....?

americans are over reacting .... americans have always done this ....

all yall seem so surprised....

One of my posts from late last winter saidl the same thing. There is a pendulum type effect going on. The key is to keep your cycle for as long as you can. No need to rush the mass to the right,,, and for Pete's sake,,, try to hold it in your cycle for as long as you can. How?? Don't be stupid and arrogant. the "base" needs to be expanded. I think when people think back on some of the dumb things the Republican's did,,, they may remember them too long and not forget as soon as I would hope... But then,,,, maybe some of folks on the right,,, need to do some soul searching for their core values...

Got my local political rating chart tonight in the mail tonight. It is too late for this recent election. But....(US mail was a week, or two, late getting it to the homes of those who could have helped the good guys.))
Reading through it at dinner, I did see some pleasant surprises.. Even some were democrats who got endorsed by local sportsmans groups.

We can only hope for little damage to occur during their term. Agreed.

Forum List

Back