Tips and advice on small engine maintenance and repairs.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
I do some lawn care and landscaping on the side and I just thought it'd be good to have a thread devoted to lawn mowers, weed eaters, tillers and everything else .... Bobcats, heavy equipment operating ,landscape architecture ....any of that is cool ,but this is mainly about helpful advice for anyone, amateur or professional.

I have a quiz question for the experienced guys out there..... you're running a Stihl fs56 grass trimmer that's about a year old but you've taken excellent care of it....used the right gas mixture always fresh, cleaned the air filter often etc, but suddenly it starts to bog down - won't rev up to full throttle.

What's the first thing you check ?

I do some lawn care and landscaping on the side and I just thought it'd be good to have a thread devoted to lawn mowers, weed eaters, tillers and everything else .... Bobcats, heavy equipment operating ,landscape architecture ....any of that is cool ,but this is mainly about helpful advice for anyone, amateur or professional.

I have a quiz question for the experienced guys out there..... you're running a Stihl fs56 grass trimmer that's about a year old but you've taken excellent care of it....used the right gas mixture always fresh, cleaned the air filter often etc, but suddenly it starts to bog down - won't rev up to full throttle.

What's the first thing you check ?
See if it got Covid?

If you're this big of a rookie on small engine repair ya might want to rethink this.
But the first place I'd look on an engine that wouldnt run would be to check for spark. Next would be the carb.
yea, a bog is caused by the carb, usually it is a clogged jet, take the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner, or even better take the carb apart to clean it.
BTW, I solved all of my weed trimmer engine problems with a battery powered one.

Exhaust screen.
It'll save you $60 to $80 at a repair shop and it takes about 10 minutes.

For my Stihl, 3 screws.... pull out the screen..... clean off the carbon deposits with a blade, wire brush or you can burn it off too.

It will run as good as new. But if that doesn't solve the problem you can get a tune up kit for about 20 bucks or less.

You're welcome.:cool:
20210914_163208.jpg

OIP (12).jpeg

R (17).jpeg

OIP (11).jpeg

Last edited:
yea, a bog is caused by the carb, usually it is a clogged jet, take the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner, or even better take the carb apart to clean it.
BTW, I solved all of my weed trimmer engine problems with a battery powered one.
But what if it is one of those electric jobs?

Exhaust screen.
It'll save you $60 to $80 at a repair shop and it takes about 10 minutes.

For my Stihl, 3 screws.... pull out the screen..... clean off the carbon deposits with a blade, wire brush or you can burn it off too.

It will run as good as new. But if that doesn't solve the problem you can get a tune up kit for about 20 bucks or less.

You're welcome.:cool:
View attachment 539283
View attachment 539274
View attachment 539275
View attachment 539276
FYI, it's called a muffler spark arrestor screen. It prevents you from accidentally starting a fire.

You can clean it really quick with a torch or carb cleaner spray.

Last edited:
Son I've rebuilt motors of all sizes.
From 454's down to lawn mower engines.
In fact I can build a motor from a solid block of steel or aluminum.
Which is a billet block. I can machine any part you've ever seen or imagined....from scratch.
That ain't bragging...it's the truth.
You'd get along with my retired Marine brother who was an FA-18 mechanic, and works on small aircraft in Hawaii now.

Forum List

Back