Tipping by demographics....The Cheap, the Cheaper and the A-holes.

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013

According to one popular food service journal the Mid-west is the area where the tips are largest per capita with the North East coming in a close second....and it peels off as we head west or south. Now I have known a lot of people who worked as waitstaff in the area I live in which is rich with eat out places and not just the fast food joints. There is another demographic that stands out loud and clear that everyone is afraid to talk about....lol.....but it is very, very consistent when you survey the waitstaff in private such as I have had the opportunity to do with family members and close friends who worked for the Tips. There are plenty of cheapskates out there but the ones who do it the most are always noted because being undertipped or stiffed completely is something tha the waitstaff does not forget....they usually remember it in detail and for a long time. So the confirmation bias thing goes out the window and we are now down to cold hard regularity when it comes to the money habits of certain segments of the population.

Need I say more? Fill it in for me guys...

Jo

---Steenburgen waited tables in a New York restaurant. A casting director would stroll in every Wednesday with her stuttering brother to order the spaghetti chicken parmesan special. The woman never acknowledged Steenburgen; never left a tip. At a party years later, said Steenburgen, “She came up to me and said, ‘I’m your biggest fan. I am the definite Mary Steenburgen expert.’ And I just looked at her and said, ‘Chicken parmesan, hold the spaghetti, Wednesday nights Hudson Bay Inn.’ She stared at me, went pale and walked away.”---

I read somewhere that people who worked for tips at one time are the best tippers.
Those who grew up with a parent that needed tips to help the family have a roof and a meal also tend to tip well. It's why I tip a minimum of 30-50%. The only time I tip the "customary" 15% is when the service was LOUSY. It's rare for me to refuse to tip at all. But, to be fair, I don't eat out much so it's easier to tip well.

Forum List

Back