Tim Allen believes likable conservative character cost him 'Last Man Standing'

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I liked the show and I don't understand why a show with such high ratings was cancelled. Considering the man who won the White House, and this being an ABC show, one has to raise the issue of politics being involved.

My wife and I watched the entire first five seasons on Netflix over the summer. He played a funny conservative character and that probably upset a few too many Snowflakes. If this show had began in the 1970's or eighties, it would have had a minimum of another five seasons in it, its ratings were so strong after so long.

I have to say, I didn't see him being like Archie Bunker in the show, he was far more accepting of others. He just did what all good Conservatives do, and he debated and put forward his opinion, Archie Bunker was through and through an angry, bigot who couldn't put three sentences together. It fit more the mold the left like to present the right, Tim was more refined and principled.

Tim Allen believes likable conservative character cost him 'Last Man Standing'

Tim Allen is still pretty upset about the cancellation of his show, “Last Man Standing.” The actor and comedian appeared on a talk show where he discussed ABC’s “poor handling” of the sitcom.

Appearing on Norm Macdonald Live, the host asked Allen about the show, which was canceled in May in a total surprise to both fans and the star as its ratings were the second highest at the network. At the time, many speculated that the show was given the boot because it and Allen’s humor skew toward more conservative-minded Americans. While ABC denied those claims, Allen told the host that he believes his conservative views were the real reason he lost his sitcom.

"I always wanted ‘Last Man Standing’ to be like Archie Bunker," Allen said, referencing the controversial “All in the Family” series. "Archie Bunker pushed boundaries, but Carroll O'Connor was not that guy at all. I am a version of that guy. But there is nothing more dangerous, especially in this climate, than a funny, likable conservative character. He is mitigated on the show by a family of women who had a difference of opinions, but he was a likeable guy and a principled guy about work and ethics and all this stuff, I think."

As The Hollywood Reporter notes, the show came from an outside studio, 20th Century Fox Television, and was therefore expensive to license. Talks to revive the show at CMT broke down over its cost as well. However, given its high ratings, many fans wonder if that’s truly the case.

You can see the interview below with Allen’s comments on “Last Man Standing” beginning around the 34:50 mark.

Liberal Hollywood bashing and ostracizing of Conservatives is well documented, as was the hatred for his show / his views.

(Ironic - 'Last Man Standing'....last public Conservative Standing in Hollywood...no more.)

If it was over politics it never would have made it for five seasons. Five seasons is actually a pretty good run. Seinfeld made it for nine seasons, and it's considered one of the greatest sitcoms ever created. Tim Allen is no Seinfeld.

If the people in charge thought the show could continue being lucrative they would have continued it. The idea that they would have turned down a shitload of money just to get a fictional conservative off T.V is asinine.

A lot of people involved in the show are without jobs, but Tim Allen is the only one complaining. It makes you wonder who was really at fault. How much was he asking for that they decided a highly rated show was no longer worth making?

Do some research first.

"There are many factors that go into the decision-making process: ratings, critical acclaim … of course we look at ownership structure," Dungey said of the rising importance of ownership at all of the Big Four broadcast networks. Ultimately, Dungey stressed that Allen's political affiliation — he has compared being a conservative in Hollywood to "'30s Germany" — did not play a role in the decision to ax the comedy. "I wouldn't say that was the deciding factor," she said.

From a financial point of view, ABC did not own Last Man Standing and had been reducing licensing fees on many of its aging shows — including Sony's The Goldbergs, ABC Studios' Once Upon a Time and 20th TV's Modern Family — in a bid to reduce costs amid dwindling viewership and ad dollars.

The audience likely discovered what a prick Tim Allen truly is. The "likeable conservative character" he portrayed was finally overshadowed by the personality of real person. So, the network heads gave him the old heave ho.

If the people in charge thought the show could continue being lucrative they would have continued it. The idea that they would have turned down a shitload of money just to get a fictional conservative off T.V is asinine.

Why did you ignore the fact that the show had high ratings?

That's like turning your TV off halfway through an episode because you really like the show you were watching!

To a liberal, I am sure that happens all the time. It's the brain damage.

Forum List

Back