Tiger Great Al Kaline passes away at 85

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Came into the league at 18. Won a batting title at 20

1586210640968.jpeg

Kaline, Northrup Lolich and McCain in 1968. Terrible year for violence. Detroit wins series and Apollo 8 circles the moon in peace at the end of it.

Kaline, Northrup Lolich and McCain in 1968. Terrible year for violence. Detroit wins series and Apollo 8 circles the moon in peace at the end of it.
Lolich beat Bob Gibson in game 7 to win the series.
Gibson had a 1.12 ERA that year

Lolich beat Bob Gibson in game 7 to win the series.
Gibson was one mean SOB. He tutored Steve Carlton a bit. When both pitched against each other the game may have lasted an hour and a half as they took the ball and threw it. Combined with many less commercials and the game was more enjoyable to watch analog TV withstanding. The mounds were lowered after that, the strike zones were changed a bit I believe and it was believed the baseballs were not as lively. But still. Those starting pitchers back then went 9 innings and pitched every 4th day.

Lolich beat Bob Gibson in game 7 to win the souteries.
Is that the year Denny McClain had a rediculous year too (30 wins?) only to be over shadowed by the more well known Gibson?
My aunt claimed Hank Greenberg was a distant cousin, wasn't he an earlier era, first baseman as well?

Lolich beat Bob Gibson in game 7 to win the souteries.
Is that the year Denny McClain had a rediculous year too (30 wins?) only to be over shadowed by the more well known Gibson?
My aunt claimed Hank Greenberg was a distant cousin, wasn't he an earlier era, first baseman as well?
They both won Cy Young’s that year. Denny won 31.
But Lolich was the hero of the Series

Forum List

Back