Three Things Colleges Don't Want Us to Know

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Richard Vedder @ Three Things Colleges Don't Want Us to Know

Universities are in the knowledge business, and the creation and dissemination of it is at the very core of what colleges do. Yet some forms of knowledge about higher education itself are either unknown, or hidden from the public. Why? Release of the information would prove embarrassing and possibly even costly to the school.

1. What Are the Teaching Loads?
2. How Do Pell Students Do?
3. How Much Do Students Actually Learn?

:mad:

Compared to regular school teachers college professors have it made.

On the other hand, they are required to do research and have articles published regularly. This is a big part of their evaluation.

If Pell students aren't doing well the people that hand out the grants and the way it operates needs to change.

In college students are on their own. They can't be herded like third graders. How much the student learns is up to them in most cases.

It is getting so ridiculous in education, I can see it coming where colleges are held accountable for students cutting classes.

Failure to learn never falls on the student anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah, I started noticing in high school that a lot of people with college degrees weren't really to impressive.

I suppose that is part of why we don't have a national recommended reading list. I think a lot of kids really want to learn especially6 in early grade school years. But years of boredom and idiotic busy work kill that.

So it is curious that so many people on the Internet complaining about the schools are not providing some serious sources of information.

Thinking as a Science (1916) by Henry Hazlitt
Henry Hazlitt - Thinking as a Science
LibriVox » Thinking as a Science by Henry Hazlitt

Omnilingual (Feb 1957) by H. Beam Piper
Scientific Language: H. Beam Piper
Omnilingual - Henry Beam Piper | Feedbooks
LibriVox » Omnilingual by H Beam Piper

Badge of Infamy (Jun 1957) by Lester del Rey
LibriVox » Badge of Infamy by Lester Del Rey
Badge of Infamy by Lester Del Rey - Books Should Be Free

1957 was the year of Sputnik, but it was launched in October. Both of these stories were published before the Sputnik launch. It was not until 1958 that the van Allen belts were discovered and 1965 that a probe sent to Mars discovered that the planet had no magnetic field and only one percent of Earth's atmospheric pressure. So this information changed our thinking about the chances of life developing on the planet and Mars stories from before 1965 would most likely have significant inaccuracies. But these are both decent and interesting stories nonetheless.

Open Culture <- Link

psik

We need to start viewing colleges as places of learning again rather than just a place to get a degree needed for a good job. Only then will they start teaching again.

Universities are in the knowledge business, and the creation and dissemination of it is at the very core of what colleges do. Yet some forms of knowledge about higher education itself are either unknown, or hidden from the public. Why? Release of the information would prove embarrassing and possibly even costly to the school.

I saw a different list.

1. What's the chance for my kid to get good football and basketball seats?
2. Does my son have to be in a Frat to get a pretty coed?
3. Will my kid get a discount on tee shirts and sweatshirts with the school logo on them from the university bookstore?

I have been to 4 different colleges/universities. I found them to be a money sucking joke for a higher education. I learned more in the military in 6 months than I learned in 4 years of college.

Odd. Here I am, nearly 70 and once again attending college. And I find real learning to be had there. Of course, one has to have the desire to learn.

At the university level, one's education is up to the individual. According to all that I know about conservative ideals, that is the way it should be. The professors and textbooks are there to give you direction and guidence. But if you are not willing to put in the time to study, and do individual research on the subjects, then the failure is on you, not the school or professors.

Odd. Here I am, nearly 70 and once again attending college. And I find real learning to be had there. Of course, one has to have the desire to learn.

At the university level, one's education is up to the individual. According to all that I know about conservative ideals, that is the way it should be. The professors and textbooks are there to give you direction and guidence. But if you are not willing to put in the time to study, and do individual research on the subjects, then the failure is on you, not the school or professors.

You are posting a sane post. You'll get little response.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when a kid's mommy goes into the prof's office and demands that the prof changes the grade like in public school.

I have been to 4 different colleges/universities. I found them to be a money sucking joke for a higher education. I learned more in the military in 6 months than I learned in 4 years of college.

Ironically, one must have a college degree to receive a commission.

:eusa_whistle:

the only thing you know about college is that you couldn't get in

Sounds like something written by someone who believes college is for snobs and sending young people there is part of a conspiracy.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when a kid's mommy goes into the prof's office and demands that the prof changes the grade like in public school.

Or when the coach comes in...

On the other hand, they are required to do research and have articles published regularly. This is a big part of their evaluation.

If Pell students aren't doing well the people that hand out the grants and the way it operates needs to change.

In college students are on their own. They can't be herded like third graders. How much the student learns is up to them in most cases.

It is getting so ridiculous in education, I can see it coming where colleges are held accountable for students cutting classes.

Pell grants come w/ strings attached, the primary one being that a minimum G.P.A. be maintained. Otherwise the Grant will not be renewed.

Pell grants come w/ strings attached, the primary one being that a minimum G.P.A. be maintained. Otherwise the Grant will not be renewed.

Ensuring that if you have a Pell Grant, then you'll work your finger's to the bone weaving baskets underwater, and not learning Calculus or Physics.

Ensuring that if you have a Pell Grant, then you'll work your finger's to the bone weaving baskets underwater, and not learning Calculus or Physics.

everyone isn't like you, octoboy

Yes those of the party of personal responsibility will blame it on others.

Learned more in the military than in college?
Kinda hard to skip classes and party all the time in the military :)

good job for an octopoid like you ;)

We need to start viewing colleges as places of learning again rather than just a place to get a degree needed for a good job. Only then will they start teaching again.

Learning can happen for free in a public library. Those who go to college need to master a skill or a profession in order to justify the time and expense.

Add to that:

4 most of what is taught in college can be learned at a library for free.

Forum List

Back