Thoughts on gun control in the Wild West...how it wasn't really gun control...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I saw this today and anti gunners will sometimes cite Tombstone as a model for gun control...of course that little fight near the O.K. corral shows how dumb this proposition is...as does the fact that one Earp was murdered, by a gun toting killer, and another maimed, by a gun toting killer...but they still lie about the old west....

Gun Control Laws In The Wild West? | Extrano's Alley, more than a gun blog

Those laws were generally imposed by saloon keepers seeking to keep damages to mirrors and other expensive furnishings to a minimum. As soon as it was discovered that enforcing such laws was a good way to cut the take from layout and the poker tables, as men went to less picky recreational facilities, enforcement stopped..

When people talk about gun controls in Deadwood, it is on record that Jack McCall had openly carried a gun the night he murdered James Butler “Wild Bill” Hickok, and that most of the other patrons of t Nuttal and Mann’s Saloon. I find no credible evidence that Deadwood’s “check your gun” law was ever seriously enforced, making the law essentially null.

Staying with Hickok for a moment, the night Hickok murdered Phil Coe, a group of men were using the stars as targets, and Hickok told them to stop, that shooting guns was illegal in Dodge before he returned to his poker game. A short time later, a shot sounded almost immediately outside and Hickok once again sauntered outside to see about the disturbance. Where he met Phil Coe trying to return his gun to holster.

“It’s all right,” Marshal, witnesses said Coe told Hickok. “I shot at a dog.”

Hickock dropped his hand in his pocket, wrapped his hand around the butt of a derringer and put a .41 bullet in Phil Coe’s midsection. Coe died, in great agony, the next day.

Leaving the “hero of the McCandless massacre,” and urning to Tombstone, yes, here was a law requiring guns to be checked when someone hit town. But the “Cowboys,” the Clanton faction had no reason to suspect the law existed, since it was “enforced in the breach instead of the promise.” So the “Gamblers,” the Earps and fellow gamblers, walked in on the Clanton’s at the OK Corral and things got smoky, that day in Tombstone.

Those are just three of literally hundreds of similar cases I could cite. While City Councils, often consisting of self appointed saloon keepers, wrote plenty of gun control laws, none called for gun confiscation, none called for limits on gun purchases, none called for State permission to buy a gun, and so far as contemporary history goes, n it appears none were ever seriously enforced.

the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-t-anderson-banner.jpg
:biggrin::biggrin:

anti gunners will sometimes cite Tombstone as a model for gun control...
Like who?

Look them up...it has been a while since they trotted this out...which is why this is here in General and not current events...
you made them up

No moron......there a few anti gunners here on U.S. who have brought up the West...in particular Tombstone to push their anti gun agenda...

Like who?

Look them up...it has been a while since they trotted this out...which is why this is here in General and not current events...
you made them up

Here you go moron....

Poster: Disir

Comment:

Actually, in the old west there were plenty towns you had to turn your guns in when you got there.

Dodge City and Tombstone were two.

Like who?

you made them up

Here you go moron....

Poster: Disir

Comment:

Actually, in the old west there were plenty towns you had to turn your guns in when you got there.

Dodge City and Tombstone were two.
what the fuck is that?

I saw this today and anti gunners will sometimes cite Tombstone as a model for gun control...of course that little fight near the O.K. corral shows how dumb this proposition is...as does the fact that one Earp was murdered, by a gun toting killer, and another maimed, by a gun toting killer...but they still lie about the old west....

Those laws were generally imposed by saloon keepers seeking to keep damages to mirrors and other expensive furnishings to a minimum. As soon as it was discovered that enforcing such laws was a good way to cut the take from layout and the poker tables, as men went to less picky recreational facilities, enforcement stopped..

When people talk about gun controls in Deadwood, it is on record that Jack McCall had openly carried a gun the night he murdered James Butler “Wild Bill” Hickok, and that most of the other patrons of t Nuttal and Mann’s Saloon. I find no credible evidence that Deadwood’s “check your gun” law was ever seriously enforced, making the law essentially null.

Staying with Hickok for a moment, the night Hickok murdered Phil Coe, a group of men were using the stars as targets, and Hickok told them to stop, that shooting guns was illegal in Dodge before he returned to his poker game. A short time later, a shot sounded almost immediately outside and Hickok once again sauntered outside to see about the disturbance. Where he met Phil Coe trying to return his gun to holster.

Hickock dropped his hand in his pocket, wrapped his hand around the butt of a derringer and put a .41 bullet in Phil Coe’s midsection. Coe died, in great agony, the next day.

Leaving the “hero of the McCandless massacre,” and urning to Tombstone, yes, here was a law requiring guns to be checked when someone hit town. But the “Cowboys,” the Clanton faction had no reason to suspect the law existed, since it was “enforced in the breach instead of the promise.” So the “Gamblers,” the Earps and fellow gamblers, walked in on the Clanton’s at the OK Corral and things got smoky, that day in Tombstone.

Those are just three of literally hundreds of similar cases I could cite. While City Councils, often consisting of self appointed saloon keepers, wrote plenty of gun control laws, none called for gun confiscation, none called for limits on gun purchases, none called for State permission to buy a gun, and so far as contemporary history goes, n it appears none were ever seriously enforced.

The Clantons actually obeyed the law every time prior. They absolutely knew that law was there. We went over this before. And they could have had their guns in the livery stable.

The Clantons actually obeyed the law every time prior. They absolutely knew that law was there. We went over this before. And they could have had their guns in the livery stable.

Gun control only worked when the criminals decided to obey them. And they didn't work when the criminals decided to carry their guns an murder people....

Gun control only worked when the criminals decided to obey them. And they didn't work when the criminals decided to carry their guns an murder people....

'Cept you keep trying to use Tombstone. I love the Old West stop butchering it.

Nope....just pointing out the truth, and it applies to all those towns....gun control didnt' stop criminals then, it doesn't stop them now....the only way they were stopped...men with guns arresting them when they broke the law....and putting them in jail....

Nope....just pointing out the truth, and it applies to all those towns....gun control didnt' stop criminals then, it doesn't stop them now....the only way they were stopped...men with guns arresting them when they broke the law....and putting them in jail....

Nope. You're not pointing out the truth.

The Earps went that day to the OK Coral to DISARM the cowboys, because it was the town ordinance.

They did the same thing in Chicago. See how that's working out?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back