Thoughts on Borat

Apr 12, 2006
New Jersey
1) Absolutely hilarious: laughed through the movie, at the urinal after the movie, and all the way home.

2) Cultural divisions within America are more enormous than I ever thought. Some of the people he chats with are not even relatable. It is like they are from another country. "I see a muslim person, and wonder what kind of bomb they have strapped on"...damn, crazy southerner.

I thought it was hilarious, probably one of the best comedies of the past couple years, and one of the most unique ones ever. I physically hurt from laughing so much and I can't remember the last time that happened.

As for the cultural divide, I don't know that it's fair to assume that most of the interviewees were "typical" Americans. How many interviews did they probably do before they got the reactions? It's hilarious regardless.

The theater I saw it in was the most diverse (and crowded) I've ever seen it. And everyone laughed hard, all the way through, except for two parts: the gay pride parade, and the part with the frat boys from USC!

I think I may say this is one of the more extreme movies I've ever seen. I was stunned by some of the stuff in here.

But, I don't really think it makes America look bad, per se. At any rate, Khazakstan looks a lot worse than us.

As for the cultural divide, I don't know that it's fair to assume that most of the interviewees were "typical" Americans.

I agree with that. I have cousins from Atlanta and New Orleans that were nothing like the southerners shown in the movie. I guess it did a nice job unsurfacing the extremes.

"One day Billo break out of his cage...and he get it" That line cracked me up.

God, this movie had so many quotable lines....

"she have asshole like seven year old!"

"New York is also where the Jews carried out their attack on 9/11"

"You were making hand party over my woman!"

BIG SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

Probably my favorite scene was after the naked wrestling match (which was great, and probably the most extreme thing I've ever seen in a Hollywood movie), when they were in the elevator naked and the camera just pans over to that one guy looking PISSED! I loved it.

I cried laughing through most of the film, I thought it was brilliant.

And I agree that one of the things I found most interesting was the diversity of the audience. I sat next to a group of frat guys on one side and a 60-something married couple next to my husband. We all laughed equally hard.

i won tickets from the Dan Conry show that hosted last nights midnight showing. It was set up as a fundraiser for www.minnesotamilitaryfamilies.org and turned out wonderfully. I agree with Dan and Gem that it was brilliant, extreme and over the top. I figured if it kept me interested enough to keep watching even though we were staying up much later than usual and I hadn't gotten much sleep the previous night, it had to be good.

I think my favorite part was "running of the Jews"...I like the comment "He almost got that man's money!" (or something like that)

I think my favorite part was "running of the Jews"...I like the comment "He almost got that man's money!" (or something like that)

"Crush that Jew chick!"

I just read that Borat made $9 million dollars. That's what it was supposed to make all weekend. This thing's going to be big. And it didn't even open on as many theaters as they had originally planned (maybe they were afraid at how it would be received?).

But, yeah, the audience was crazy, the row behind me was all young black people, the row in front of me was two frat boys and a couple in their late 50's, early 60's. Everyone love Borat!

Sacha Baron Cohen has been a massive tv star in Britain for years.

Sacha Baron Cohen has been a massive tv star in Britain for years.

Yeah, I hear he's kind of played out over there. When you guys get Borat, you should see it anyway.

Probably my favorite scene was after the naked wrestling match (which was great, and probably the most extreme thing I've ever seen in a Hollywood movie), when they were in the elevator naked and the camera just pans over to that one guy looking PISSED! I loved it.

I could have gone my ENTIRE life without seeing that scene, and I might very well have been happier for it...or at least the part before they leave the room.

I could have gone my ENTIRE life without seeing that scene, and I might very well have been happier for it...or at least the part before they leave the room.

You know, it's funny how much everybody's going on about how this is a very smart comedy. I'd say anyone expecting a very smart comedy will probably have already given up on that by the time this scene came on, but this one is definitely the nail in the coffin.

I'm still shocked at the press this movie continues to get. There was a whole page (!) in the local paper today devoted to it. ON THE DAY AFTER A VERY IMPORTANT ELECTION! That's what's making news!!! Crazy.

On another Borat note, he sent a message to all of his Myspace friends saying that we saved him from being "execute", but that it was close and that his government had already bought the 300 batteries it takes to power their electric chair!

You know, it's funny how much everybody's going on about how this is a very smart comedy. I'd say anyone expecting a very smart comedy will probably have already given up on that by the time this scene came on, but this one is definitely the nail in the coffin.

I'm still shocked at the press this movie continues to get. There was a whole page (!) in the local paper today devoted to it. ON THE DAY AFTER A VERY IMPORTANT ELECTION! That's what's making news!!! Crazy.

On another Borat note, he sent a message to all of his Myspace friends saying that we saved him from being "execute", but that it was close and that his government had already bought the 300 batteries it takes to power their electric chair!

Seen it twice now.:rofl:

Forum List

Back