Thought Provoking Sports Question of the Day

Anonymous519

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
"If you could live in any decade to watch sports, which decade would you have liked to grow up during?"

I grew up in the 1970s and it was an AMAZING era to grow up in especially in Pittsburgh where we saw the Pirates win two World Series and the Steelers four Super Bowls. As a big boxing fan, I think the 70s represents the best era of boxing in history. Even Pro Wrestling was fun to watch because it didn't have all the soap opera and showy bullshit that plagues that entertainment today. We had the rise of Bruno Sammartino in the 'Burgh (and I have a very funny story about his son and also pro wrestler David), the Penguins were a pretty good team, and the Pitt Panthers celebrated a national title in 1996. They were led by Matt Cavanaugh and hall of famer Tony Dorsett. The year before I watched as Dorsett ran through the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame for 303 yards rushing.

If I had to choose another decade it probably would have been the 20s or 30s so I could have seen some of the old time great baseball and football players live.

70's. I am a Raider Believer piss off Pitts Puke ; )
Ahhhh a still pissed off Raiders fan about the Immaculate Reception and obviously jealous that the Steelers were better than the Raiders in 1970s and were the roadblock to Oakland to the Super Bowl...no problem we are used to these type of comments.

I agree with the 70s. Maybe also 1900s first decade. I want to see Jack Johnson Fights. Or the 30s at the Olympics in Germany.
As far as the 70s" The Perfect Season" and all the great sports moments including the. Olympics.

the 20s

Not a sports fan, but would love to be able to see Murderers Row live.

"If you could live in any decade to watch sports, which decade would you have liked to grow up during?"

I grew up in the 1970s and it was an AMAZING era to grow up in especially in Pittsburgh where we saw the Pirates win two World Series and the Steelers four Super Bowls. As a big boxing fan, I think the 70s represents the best era of boxing in history. Even Pro Wrestling was fun to watch because it didn't have all the soap opera and showy bullshit that plagues that entertainment today. We had the rise of Bruno Sammartino in the 'Burgh (and I have a very funny story about his son and also pro wrestler David), the Penguins were a pretty good team, and the Pitt Panthers celebrated a national title in 1996. They were led by Matt Cavanaugh and hall of famer Tony Dorsett. The year before I watched as Dorsett ran through the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame for 303 yards rushing.

If I had to choose another decade it probably would have been the 20s or 30s so I could have seen some of the old time great baseball and football players live.

I'll take a bit of a different string from the thread....

I'd love to have the same sports set up that we had back in the 70's and 80's--pre ESPN. Like with almost everything else...the more you see it, the less special it is. I remember the NBC Saturday baseball game of the week with Vin Scully and Joe Garigiola.... It was special because it was often the only game of the week. ABC had Monday Night Baseball for a while as I remember as well. Monday Night Football was something so special...I remember asking my mom if I could stay up to see Halftime Highlights. Why? Because I hadn't seen them. It was largely the only time I'd ever see Walter Payton since I was in an AFC city in Texas.

So to answer your question, I too would love to go back to those times and have the heavily filtered sports television schedule we had but maybe with the current sports landscape (teams and leagues) and the athletes we have now. They are clearly superior to the athletes we used to have.

the 60's
Packer's were great

The Reds also
and the University of Utah had some great football and basketball teams.

I agree with you on the 70's. I also grew up watching the four major sports that decade. I'm a White Sox, Cubs, Bulls, Suns, Cardinals, Bears, D-Backs, Coyotes, and Blackhawks fan. After we moved to Phoenix, Arizona, in the mid 70's from Chicago and Indiana, I became a big Suns fan. And later a Cardinals and D-Backs fan. But the 70's were my favorite sports memories. Hank Aaron hitting #715, breaking Babe Ruth's record. My favorite 70's sports memory was witnessing the astonishing season Dick Allen had for the Sox in '72. He was easily MVP, and just narrowly missed hitting for the Triple Crown. He led the league in homers and RBI's, and I believe finished in the top five in batting average. I watched every Sox game that I could that year just to see Allen's spectacular season. One of the highlights was him hitting an inside-the-park home run in Kansas City. Despite being fairly muscular, he had some speed on the bases. Another 70's highlight was when the upstart 1975-76 Phoenix Suns ALMOST won the championship that season. The three overtime game in the finals against the Celtics is an all-time classic. I believe the Suns trailed by over twenty points before rallying and almost beating the historic Celtics.

Last edited:
Ahhhh a still pissed off Raiders fan about the Immaculate Reception and obviously jealous that the Steelers were better than the Raiders in 1970s and were the roadblock to Oakland to the Super Bowl...no problem we are used to these type of comments.
Immaculate deception?

Immaculate deception?
OR how about the "Immaculate Erection"? THAT may be the basis for a funny joke.

Forum List

Back