Thought Provoking Sports Question of the Day

Anonymous519

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
"If you could ask any professional athlete in history or current just one question, who would it be and what would be the question?"

I'd ask Roberto Clemente why he just had to get on that plane knowing it was a faulty machine before he boarded. If memory serves me right, his wife Vera had a premonition about that flight and she was right. One of the saddest days in Pittsburgh sports history. Former Pirate Neil Walker would not be here today if his father Tom who helped Clemente load his ill-fated plane on December 31, 1972 had decided to join Clemente on that flight, something he nearly did. But Clemente told him to go home and be with family so he did. Unbelievable.
1617971888246.png
1617971906922.png

I would ask Serena Williams who her steroid people are and if her blood and urine is checked every 4 hours just to keep the samples clean.

My athlete would be Paul O'Neil.

The question would be, do you feel like you should be in the Hall of Fame as the only recorded player in MLB history to punt the ball to another player successfully?

Incidentally, it's perfectly legal and saved the game

The question would be, do you feel like you should be in the Hall of Fame as the only recorded player in MLB history to punt the ball to another player successfully?

WOW! Thanks for sharing. I have never seen that play! CRAZY!

WOW! Thanks for sharing. I have never seen that play! CRAZY!

It's a level of talent most don't posses

Just want to say real quick...your segment is becoming one of the better things about this forum.

I'll have to think about the question though. Large swath.
Thanks for that I was thinking today about not continuing because of the lack of responses but after your response I won’t call it a day just yet! Thanks again!

As for the question, it would depend on if the athlete was given truth serum or not before I chatted with her or him. Since we're talking professional athletes, I would probably ask a group of players from the NBA who has been in the league between 5 and 10 years when they decide that they need to start trying. The playoffs are essentially a second season and, as I recall, an inordinate number of teams make the playoff rounds so if the team is worth their salt, they will be in the playoffs and that is when the games really count.

They're not professionals in the classic sense of the word but I would like to ask people like Katarina Witt, Oksana Baiul, or Svetlana Boginskaya (who was a Russian gymnast) how important it was for them to not only win but to dominate. I would imagine that there were hundreds (if not thousands) of athletes from the Eastern Bloc who were institutionally 'roided up and had bad adulthoods as a result or never had a childhood and likely ended up killing themselves because of it. I'd like to have asked them if they knew former training mates who suffered injuries and were essentially forgotten as prized pupils (all of the above won multiple gold medals in the Olympics and other international competitions).

As for the "question of the day"...I would say if you don't have something to ask on a given day...don't worry about it. Just post them when (and if) you think of something. I'm enjoying it.

PS: Svetlana now owns a pizza joint in Houston, Texas if you're in the neighborhood:

Last edited:
As for the question, it would depend on if the athlete was given truth serum or not before I chatted with her or him. Since we're talking professional athletes, I would probably ask a group of players from the NBA who has been in the league between 5 and 10 years when they decide that they need to start trying. The playoffs are essentially a second season and, as I recall, an inordinate number of teams make the playoff rounds so if the team is worth their salt, they will be in the playoffs and that is when the games really count.

They're not professionals in the classic sense of the word but I would like to ask people like Katarina Witt, Oksana Baiul, or Svetlana Boginskaya (who was a Russian gymnast) how important it was for them to not only win but to dominate. I would imagine that there were hundreds (if not thousands) of athletes from the Eastern Bloc who were institutionally 'roided up and had bad adulthoods as a result or never had a childhood and likely ended up killing themselves because of it. I'd like to have asked them if they knew former training mates who suffered injuries and were essentially forgotten as prized pupils (all of the above won multiple gold medals in the Olympics and other international competitions).

As for the "question of the day"...I would say if you don't have something to ask on a given day...don't worry about it. Just post them when (and if) you think of something. I'm enjoying it.

PS: Svetlana now owns a pizza joint in Houston, Texas if you're in the neighborhood:

Thanks for the long post! I’ll keep posting the questions. If you didn’t see I also do “on this day in sports” now and then. I’m in Florida so won’t be in Texas any time soon!

Forum List

Back