Thought Exercise for Motorcyclists and would-be Motorcyclists

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have bought and sold motorcycles - one at a time - for years. I have had many types of bikes, sport bikes, sport tourers, tourers, baggers, and cruisers. My wife has often asked me why I don't get what I "really want," so I won't be switching bikes every couple years. But she misses the point. I don't want a single bike or type of bike. I want many types of bike, but can only have one at a time (a self-imposed restriction). So I go from one to another.

Here is my thought exercise for other MC enthusiasts:
  • If you could have one, and only one bike, what would it be?
  • If you could have two, but no more than two bikes, what would they be?
  • Three, and
  • Four.
In my case, if I have only one bike, it must be a Touring Bike. I have a Goldwing.

If I had a second bike, it would be a bagger, probably of the H-D variety...maybe a Road King.

If I had a third bike , definitely a mid-displacement Adventure Bike. A Kawasaki Versys 650, or a Suzuki V-Strom.

My fourth bike would be something to ride just for the joy of it...A Honda VFR 800 or similar.

I could probably accumulate these four bikes from scratch for less than $20k.

Man thats a tough one.
Like you I've had plenty of bikes over the years.
I dont have one at the moment,I sold my Yamaha Warrior around five years ago and I really no longer have the desire for a huge displacement bike at 56.
If I were to get another,and I've been thinking about it,I'd get a dual sport like the Yamaha XT250. I just want something I can putter around the property on and be able to run up to the corner store.
I already have the Polaris general 1000 thats plenty fast at around 80 mph off road. In fact I have yet to top it out on the trails. It's plenty eye opening at 60 off road. I love the FOX Podium 3 way adjustable shocks on the thing it eats up the bumps and getting air is no problem. I no longer have a need for speed on the pavement with two wheels.
The worst thing with the Polaris is it'll eat up every bit of 20k.

1634345361330.png

1F9FB433-4507-4B2E-900B-D83CB96ADC39.jpeg

Only need one, something I can tour on. No interest in any other type of bike.

My wife considers her Pacific Coast the perfect motorcycle.

Only need one, something I can tour on. No interest in any other type of bike.
Guys start getting fatalistic in their 50s and 60s. Restaurant dudes. Fat, salt, sugar, alcohol. Less of their lives remaining to risk, they're counting on.
My wife considers her Pacific Coast the perfect motorcycle.
Not that you're unfaithful, no, but that's a bad crowd. Real bad. Wife and another wife. Too much Omertà for the ladies and honor on the part of the gentlemen. Sorry. These aren't real family people.

Relative died on a motorcycle almost as soon as she bought it, sister died of some sort controlled substance overdose and she wasn't the type to do drugs. That's just too much murder for hire on the road.

Guys start getting fatalistic in their 50s and 60s. Restaurant dudes. Fat, salt, sugar, alcohol. Less of their lives remaining to risk, they're counting on.

Not that you're unfaithful, no, but that's a bad crowd. Real bad. Wife and another wife. Too much Omertà for the ladies and honor on the part of the gentlemen. Sorry. These aren't real family people.

Relative died on a motorcycle almost as soon as she bought it, sister died of some sort controlled substance overdose and she wasn't the type to do drugs. That's just too much murder for hire on the road.
Are you on some sort of drugs?

I have had two PC-800's, and enjoyed them greatly. If I bought another one (which is a possibility), I would have to add a stereo, some sort of cruise control, and a good backrest for the passenger.

The great thing is, you can still pick up a good one for $2,500.

Forum List

Back