Those MLB Talks...???

One of the biggest responsibilities that catchers have at the higher levels is stealing strikes. Framing pitches on the edges that might be balls to get them called strikes by the umpire. I would argue it's their most important job. The pitching coach can (and now alot of the time does) call the game and pitchers shouldn't be throwing that many balls in the dirt (unless it's called) or missing his spots by much in the MLB. Stolen bases are way down as it is. Take away the catcher's responsibility to frame pitches and no one will be able to steal on them. Unles the pitcher just doesnt hold them on or there's a passed ball or something.

So you aren't infavor of not stealing anything ....but the occassional base???

Let a strike be a strike and a ball be a ball.

Telling the pitcher what is working is the job of the catcher.

So you aren't infavor of not stealing anything ....but the occassional base???

Let a strike be a strike and a ball be a ball.

Telling the pitcher what is working is the job of the catcher.
It’s part of the game. Always has been. You’ll eliminate that and stolen bases as well by having a machine call balls and strikes. The catcher calls the game most times but he’s calling based not just on the hitter but also the guy behind the plate. And more and more teams are having a coach call the game from the dugout. It’s done almost exclusively at the college level and I think youll see that happen in the MLB over time. Especially if you take away the human factor.

It’s part of the game. Always has been. You’ll eliminate that and stolen bases as well by having a machine call balls and strikes. The catcher calls the game most times but he’s calling based not just on the hitter but also the guy behind the plate. And more and more teams are having a coach call the game from the dugout. It’s done almost exclusively at the college level and I think youll see that happen in the MLB over time. Especially if you take away the human factor.

Really?

Show it to me in the rule book.

I've often posted these analyses.

Sensors.

OK, Ok.....so they are 90%+ accurate.
Why should we put up with less than 100%???????????

Last night's Yankee game....Umpire scorecard.

1628177314296.png

Not good enough for me.

Really?

Show it to me in the rule book.

I've often posted these analyses.

Sensors.

OK, Ok.....so they are 90%+ accurate.
Why should we put up with less than 100%???????????

Last night's Yankee game....Umpire scorecard.

1628177314296.png

Not good enough for me.

Show you what in the rule book?

'stealing strikes'
Show me double play depth or bringing in the outfield in to cut off the run at third, or the third baseman playing the bunt, or a curveball, or or or. Something not being in the rulebook doesn’t make not part of the game.

Whether you like it or not it IS part of the game and always has been. Again if they do it they will eliminate base stealing as well.

Show me double play depth or bringing in the outfield in to cut off the run at third, or the third baseman playing the bunt, or a curveball, or or or. Something not being in the rulebook doesn’t make not part of the game.

Whether you like it or not it IS part of the game and always has been. Again if they do it they will eliminate base stealing as well.

I demand excellence, not random accuracy.

90% doesn't cut it when the technology is available.....I like challenges of calls on the bases, as well.
Are you against that, too?????

I demand excellence, not random accuracy.

90% doesn't cut it when the technology is available.....I like challenges of calls on the bases, as well.
Are you against that, too?????
There are trade offs for everything. Sure you’ll gain some amount of accuracy at the plate. You will eliminate a number of aspects of the game in doing so. Stealing bases, bunting, lead offs will shrink which will cut down on 1st to 3rds on a single.

Are you advocating to shrink the zone? barely anyone calls anything above the belt a strike anymore. If they don’t you’ll see a ton more SOs.

There are trade offs for everything. Sure you’ll gain some amount of accuracy at the plate. You will eliminate a number of aspects of the game in doing so. Stealing bases, bunting, lead offs will shrink which will cut down on 1st to 3rds on a single.

Are you advocating to shrink the zone? barely anyone calls anything above the belt a strike anymore. If they don’t you’ll see a ton more SOs.

I love baseball. I love statistics.

I demand it be more accurte than being based on the Magic 8-ball......pun intended.

I love baseball. I love statistics.

I demand it be more accurte than being based on the Magic 8-ball......pun intended.

Cool story. I would think someone who says they enjoy baseball that much would understand all the things they stand to lose by turning the calls over to a machine. The more I think about it the more things will be eliminated or dramatically changed in the game by that move. There's a reason the MLB hasnt put it in place my gut feeling is they have thought of all the things I have and a ton more of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th order of effects of doing it that I havent.

I'm waitin'..................
Checkin' the Yankee website a dozen times an hour!!!!!!!!!!

Is Cashman aware that the lockout is over???????????????

Forum List

Back