This Should Please Libs...

Wonder it they banned this.....
1587920974564.png

Last edited:
Largely, I see this as a giant "so what".

Hell, I remember the Gunny blowing me the hell up because of a poster I had on the wall in the barracks. I was ordered to remove it immediately, even though there was nothing wrong with it I thought.

iwojima.jpg

One thing about the Marines, most of the time you just do what you are told because trying to "fight the system" when something is really meaningless is pointless. Yes, I could have protested. I could have demanded my right to speak to the CO and claim there was absolutely no Barracks or Marine Corps Order forbidding my having a poster of a popular rock band. And odds are I would win, because if he refused I could then go to the IG and they would say I was right, it was not offensive in a legal sense.

But in doing so, I would then alienate my entire chain of command. I hung it later on at another unit and nobody said a word.

Now as for this, I think ultimately such an order would be struck. It is a historical flag, and is and of itself inoffensive. I recognize that some place a significance on it, but the flag itself has none. I think that if it went before a formal hearing it would be struck down on 1st Amendment grounds.

And while I never saw the "Raised Fist" displayed anywhere, I was of the generation where you could not help but see the giant "X" on everything from shirts and caps to license plate frames, flags, and posters in rooms. In the late 1980's a huge wave of "Malcolm X reverence" started to sweep the Marines and it was impossible to ignore. I know that my Battalion Commander forbid anybody from wearing such clothing at official events (like our pre-deployment family party in 1989). And when we arrived in Japan, an order was pushed out very quickly forbidding posters and pictures of any kind that were not related to the Marines or family.

Forum List

Back