This Morning's Wake up call!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
We got a huge snow storm, l look out the kitchen window and was greeted by Lady, this year's baby...Piewacket..the special brown and white PIE BALD deer, and Clarice...Lady's baby from last year...Rudolph her other baby from last year, has been missing since September....:(.

Attachments

• 20230123_080309.jpg
    20230123_080309.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230123_080148.jpg
    20230123_080148.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230123_075155.jpg
    20230123_075155.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230123_080019.jpg
    20230123_080019.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230123_074935.jpg
    20230123_074935.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 30
This one grew-up in the neighborhood and she hung around for eight years....I guess she passed last year.

She was odd in that her legs were a few inches shorter than most other deer.....Mean bitch though, she would chase-off any deer, bucks included, out of the yard.....I never saw her with a fawn.
DSCN3686 (2).JPG

This one grew-up in the neighborhood and she hung around for eight years....I guess she passed last year.

She was odd in that her legs were a few inches shorter than most other deer.....Mean bitch though, she would chase-off any deer, bucks included, out of the yard.....I never saw her with a fawn.View attachment 750044
Lovely!

These brown and white PIE BALD DEER are only 1% of the white tail population, a rare treat! Good luck if you spot one, according to native Americans up here!

Piewacket is a tough cookie too! Funny you mentioned yours was tough...

Piewacket chases everyone away from the deer corn...even her older sister! Not her mom though.

Her mom is Lady, for short, her full name is Lady Batman, because she has a white bat wing marking on her nose. Lady has come here for 10 years now, delivering two or 1 baby each year, mostly two fawns a year..... her fist year she had only one, which we named Tramp...Lady and the tramp!:)

All other birthing were two, then PIE-Wacket, was a single birth.

Last year for the first time she had a boy and girl, Clarice and Rudolph...all the other twin births were two females.

Another snow storm two days ago, but in 40s today, guess who decided to show up for some of the deer corn and sunflower seeds?

The Wild Turkeys! I haven't seen them all winter!!! Yay! They survived the -19 degree arctic front we had earlier!!!

20230317_093705.jpg
20230317_094145.jpg

They are pretty fat considering they just went thru winter!

Another snow storm two days ago, but in 40s today, guess who decided to show up for some of the deer corn and sunflower seeds?

The Wild Turkeys! I haven't seen them all winter!!! Yay! They survived the -19 degree arctic front we had earlier!!!

View attachment 766597View attachment 766598

They are pretty fat considering they just went thru winter!
They look....Tasty. ;)

They look....Tasty. ;)
Matt and I are meat eaters, but we've never had to kill for our own meat....well, cuz we haven't had to! My one closer neighbor is a Hunter, mostly deer, moose, and bear, not the Grouse or wild turkey or duck or geese or other birds here....

But if the proverbial Shit Hit the Fan situation ever did occur, Maine has plenty of wildlife to sustain us, let alone the halibut, salmon, and lobster, and clams....

We have just on our property, turkey, grouse (which looks like a chicken), mallard ducks, Canadian geese that fly over spring and fall, rabbit...snow shoe hares actually, bear and deer galore. Then the sea is just a mile, so the seafood....

But, I could never, nor could Matt, eat deer or bear unless perhaps on deathbed from starvation....because we've befriend them over the 17 years here in Maine! :(

In fact we are waiting for our bear to show up, this is her first stop after hibernation, since she was a baby cub!

Matt and I are meat eaters, but we've never had to kill for our own meat....well, cuz we haven't had to! My one closer neighbor is a Hunter, mostly deer, moose, and bear, not the Grouse or wild turkey or duck or geese or other birds here....

But if the proverbial Shit Hit the Fan situation ever did occur, Maine has plenty of wildlife to sustain us, let alone the halibut, salmon, and lobster, and clams....

We have just on our property, turkey, grouse (which looks like a chicken), mallard ducks, Canadian geese that fly over spring and fall, rabbit...snow shoe hares actually, bear and deer galore. Then the sea is just a mile, so the seafood....

But, I could never, nor could Matt, eat deer or bear unless perhaps on deathbed from starvation....because we've befriend them over the 17 years here in Maine! :(

In fact we are waiting for our bear to show up, this is her first stop after hibernation, since she was a baby cub!
Pan-fried wild turkey breast is a real treat.....The rest I just stew.

As far as bear, if they all went extinct today it would suit me just fine. What they don't shit on they tear-up, and they are poor table fare.....The damn things are everywhere.

I've given up on buying bird feeders except at yard sales and such.

Here's what was left of one (cost me $1 at a YS) from a couple of weeks back. It was the work of a a 450 pounder.

I had to run his ass off the patio the next evening when he was trying to get at the suet cake feeder I had put out of his reach.

f 001 (2).JPG

Pan-fried wild turkey breast is a real treat.....The rest I just stew.

As far as bear, if they all went extinct today it would suit me just fine. What they don't shit on they tear-up, and they are poor table fare.....The damn things are everywhere.

I've given up on buying bird feeders except at yard sales and such.

Here's what was left of one (cost me $1 at a YS) from a couple of weeks back. It was the work of a a 450 pounder.

I had to run his ass off the patio the next evening when he was trying to get at the suet cake feeder I had put out of his reach.

View attachment 766612
My bear just takes it off the hook and runs with it till we can't see her....then the next day we take a walk in the woods and retrieve it....she's broken one over the years, most we can put back together!

When she was a cub, her mom would bring her...she went straight for sunflower seeds and her mom hit the garbage can...two times with trash spread on the driveway. We ended up doing a circle of Clorox around the can, and the mom never came again, but the cub did....

She's a beautiful black bear, with the most beautiful face and smile when caught stealing the sunflower seeds, Blackest of black, shiny coat. About 300 pounds....she might have been 40lbs when first introduced.

My bear just takes it off the hook and runs with it till we can't see her....then the next day we take a walk in the woods and retrieve it....she's broken one over the years, most we can put back together!

When she was a cub, her mom would bring her...she went straight for sunflower seeds and her mom hit the garbage can...two times with trash spread on the driveway. We ended up doing a circle of Clorox around the can, and the mom never came again, but the cub did....

She's a beautiful black bear, with the most beautiful face and smile when caught stealing the sunflower seeds, Blackest of black, shiny coat. About 300 pounds....she might have been 40lbs when first introduced.
I had to put "hood-pins" on my Herby-Curby due to the number of times it's been attacked. Got tired of chasing trash.

The town asked if I wanted it replaced when I called and asked for a new wheel the bear had chewed-up when it dragged it away about 150 yards and I said "hell no!", it's scars are a conservation piece at this point!

LOL....I guess it got frustrated that it could not get inside and took it out on the wheel.

Forum List

Back