This makes for the best steak I've had - period

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Do yourself a HUGE favor and find a GOOD local butcher to get your Filet's from....

4 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
1 cup heavy cream

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour prior to cooking. Sprinkle all sides with salt.
Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, the bottom of a cast iron skillet, or using a mallet and pie pan. Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the fillets, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil. As soon as the butter and oil begin to turn golden and smoke, gently place the steaks in the pan. For medium-rare, cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil and set aside. Pour off the excess fat but do not wipe or scrape the pan clean.

Off of the heat, add 1/3 cup Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match or firestick. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season, to taste, with salt. Add the steaks back to the pan, spoon the sauce over, and serve.

-Cp said:
Do yourself a HUGE favor and find a GOOD local butcher to get your Filet's from....

4 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
1 cup heavy cream

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour prior to cooking. Sprinkle all sides with salt.
Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, the bottom of a cast iron skillet, or using a mallet and pie pan. Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the fillets, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil. As soon as the butter and oil begin to turn golden and smoke, gently place the steaks in the pan. For medium-rare, cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil and set aside. Pour off the excess fat but do not wipe or scrape the pan clean.

Off of the heat, add 1/3 cup Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match or firestick. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season, to taste, with salt. Add the steaks back to the pan, spoon the sauce over, and serve.
Sounds excellent! MMmmm, maybe can get the kids to make for Mother's Day...

Two Ribeyes about 12 oz, with a long tender edge and a moderate amount of fat veins.

Marinade in a glass casserole dish for about 2 hours. Mix following

1/4 cup garlic (chopped) WITH the juice from a fresh opened bottle
A couple dabs of sesame oil
A few shakes of celery salt ( lightly coat)
chopped onion, dosen't matter how much, cover em if you want

Stick the steaks in the mush and let them set two hours.

When you put them on the grill, place a nice big fat cut of a thick walled red bell pepper (or orange) on top of the first cooked side when you flip em

NEVER FLIP A STEAK MORE THAN ONCE OR YOU RUIN IT!!!!!!!

Now eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rule number 1 of cooking a great steak: no marinade

If it's a good cut of meat you won't need to marinate it. A good rub will suffice and you'll get more of the natural flavor in the meat.

Speaking of beef have any of you ever been to a Brazilian churrascaria steakhouse?

It's definitely expensive but it's a hell of an experience. I went to Fodo de Chao in Houston a few months ago. I wish I would have brought a bigger appetite!

I'm limited to Shaw's and that's it. I checked out the filet today. There were two packages out. One package of two was $16 and the other was $19. They were small and not worth it. For the size of them, I'd pay that much in a restaurant, get a much better cut, and NOT have to cook it myself.

Does anyone know of any good online supplier?

Powerman said:
Rule number 1 of cooking a great steak: no marinade

If it's a good cut of meat you won't need to marinate it. A good rub will suffice and you'll get more of the natural flavor in the meat.

(sigh) You just don't get it. 'need' to marinade? That's like saying "if it's a GOOD enough wine, you wont NEED the proper glass from which to drink it!"

Or..."If it's GOOD enough steak, you won't NEED to chew it!"

:-/

Don't buy into the hype - Marinades can do GREAT things with GREAT pieces of steak.

New Topics

Forum List

Back