This is why we need a living wage

Bush was president from 2001 to 2009 causing SNAP spending to increase over 300%. They only increased 30% under Obama & are now decreasing. SNAP spending was decreasing all during Clinton's entire presidency, then Bush caused it to explode 10 times more than Obama.

fredgraph.png

Marketwatch - Obama spending binge never happened

MW-AR658_spendi_20120521163312_ME.jpg

Deflation, Rising GDP & Employment. Thank You Obama! Fuck You Bush!
ByAcVECCIAAtz7o.jpg:large

Last edited:
Bush was president from 2001 to 2009 causing SNAP spending to increase over 300%. They only increased 30% under Obama & are now decreasing. SNAP spending was decreasing all during Clinton's entire presidency, then Bush caused it to explode 10 times more than Obama.

fredgraph.png

Marketwatch - Obama spending binge never happened

MW-AR658_spendi_20120521163312_ME.jpg

Deflation, Rising GDP & Employment. Thank You Obama! Fuck You Bush!
ByAcVECCIAAtz7o.jpg:large
Politifact says you are wrong and that you used a photo of prices at Sam's Club to defend Obama and blame the GOP is ironic.

Would you rather have Wal-mart pay the employ $15 an hour or the tax payer pay for food stamps?

It is nice to see that a company is willing to hire people to help them transition off assistance or allow parents the chance to work around their life schedules some. If the MW were $15 an hour, the poverty levels and benefits tables for public assistance will just be re-indexed to reflect the new cost of living and those people will still be receiving assistance and American labor costs will be even more out of alignment with foreign competition than they already are.
The reason some European companies build in the US is because our labor costs are lower than they are there.

Should the MW be done away with and whatever business and employees work out for pay is what it is?

You know, that is one of those questions that really trouble me. My mind says, "Yep", but the hairs on the back of my neck say "Shiver me timbers" to even think about such a system and how that would play out in small towns. I think it would work better in New York City than it would in Apple Creek wherever.

Back to Walmart hating for a sec--the Earned Income Tax Credit has a positive effect on employment for single moms and the working poor. (Policy Basics: The Earned Income Tax Credit ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities) It bothers me to see people just trash companies that are assisting the people who otherwise have no job, get some work. Walmart, love them or hate them, really does help people work a schedule that works for them, and people I knew who worked there and moved elsewhere had no problem continuing to work for Walmart in their new location.

Now back to the MW, I saw this suggested somewhere else and I am still thinking about it-- perhaps the minimum wage should be based on the cost of living in the cheapest metropolitan areas in the country and let supply-demand drive it up from there as localized wages in places with higher cost of living. A small city then can compete better to lure in businesses/foreign investments and then let supply-demand in labor drive wages up from there. It is one of those ideas still simmering in my mind right now before I take a definitive position one way or the other.

--Sam

Both good posts

Perhaps the goverment should set pay scales for all jobs and do the hiring and firing for them. The goverment can simply become the Hunan resources department for all businesses. That way the goverment can be in charge to make sure everyone is paid a fair wage and the managers and executives are no paid took much. We all know that the goverment is better at making business decisions about wages than busnesss people and the people and the people they hire.

Perhaps the goverment should set pay scales for all jobs and do the hiring and firing for them. The goverment can simply become the Hunan resources department for all businesses. That way the goverment can be in charge to make sure everyone is paid a fair wage and the managers and executives are no paid took much. We all know that the goverment is better at making business decisions about wages than busnesss people and the people and the people they hire.
Name a major industry that the government has not subsidized or bailed out. Name a major corporation that has not screwed its employees, its customers, or both. Name a single spell checker you have ever used!

My spelling and typos......guilty as charged. And autocorrect often works against me rather than for me.

Most businesses are not subsidized or bailed out. The government is supported by the taxpayers which are businesses and individuals, not the other way around. The existance of crony capitalism does not justify the minimum wage or other wage and price controls.

My spelling and typos......guilty as charged. And autocorrect often works against me rather than for me.

Most businesses are not subsidized or bailed out. The government is supported by the taxpayers which are businesses and individuals, not the other way around. The existance of crony capitalism does not justify the minimum wage or other wage and price controls.
The third was indeed the least of my concerns.

What bothers/worries me is that your stated rational against the minimum wage sounds a lot like the sales pitch given out by big money why one should be against the minimum wage. In a government that actually worked for the people every government business day politicians would go work looking how to make this country work for everyone. That means a comprehensive program. The system has broken down however. The poor are getting dangerously poor and that is the highest priority. No single program, or even basket of programs, is going to stem the ongoing collapse of this country. And the system is so irrevocably broken a single program can't get through legislation, to say nothing of actually getting this country back on its feet. Rename the country from USA to KYAG. Think not? Enron looked great on paper the day before...

What bothers/worries me is that your stated rational against the minimum wage sounds a lot like the sales pitch given out by big money why one should be against the minimum wage. In a government that actually worked for the people every government business day politicians would go work looking how to make this country work for everyone. That means a comprehensive program. The system has broken down however. The poor are getting dangerously poor and that is the highest priority. No single program, or even basket of programs, is going to stem the ongoing collapse of this country. And the system is so irrevocably broken a single program can't get through legislation, to say nothing of actually getting this country back on its feet. Rename the country from USA to KYAG. Think not? Enron looked great on paper the day before...
The only thing that will get poor people out of poverty is work.
Sitting on your ass taking hand outs from people who have worked hard to better themselves is only going to keep you dependent on the system.
All antipoverty programs do is breed more impoverished people.
Minimum wage jobs are entry level positions for people with no marketable skills.
The object is for people to learn and advance.
If one chooses not to learn, he deserves no more money.
A five dollar/hour job is worth $5 no matter what the government says it is. When a $5 job is artificially made a $10 job, that piece of paper with Alexander Hamilton's picture on it in your pocket becomes a Lincoln.
Something must be done to motivate people to get an education and learn skills that will make them worth a living wage.
Damned if I know how to motivate people, but I do know that if I were hungry, I would look for ways to earn more money.

Sitting on your ass taking hand outs from people who have worked hard to better themselves is only going to keep you dependent on the system.
Minimum wage jobs are entry level positions for people with no marketable skills.
A five dollar/hour job is worth $5 no matter what the government says it is. When a $5 job is artificially made a $10 job, that piece of paper with Alexander Hamilton's picture on it in your pocket becomes a Lincoln.
Something must be done to motivate people to get an education and learn skills that will make them worth a living wage.
Damned if I know how to motivate people, but I do know that if I were hungry, I would look for ways to earn more money.
That is a wonderful point of view but there are literally hundreds of variables which go into designing a well-balanced, sustainable economy, an economy that takes into account the needs of everyone, rich and poor. You know, for the people, by the people. Luckily we do not have a government who works solely for a few gigantic corporations who are unfortunately extremely shortsighted. Oh ya, ...

That is a wonderful point of view but there are literally hundreds of variables which go into designing a well-balanced, sustainable economy, an economy that takes into account the needs of everyone, rich and poor. You know, for the people, by the people. Luckily we do not have a government who works solely for a few gigantic corporations who are unfortunately extremely shortsighted. Oh ya, ...
Do you really beleive that the government can "Design" a well-balanced, substainable economy the works better that free market capitalism?

Do you really beleive that the government can "Design" a well-balanced, substainable economy the works better that free market capitalism?
Want to know what I believe? Would you settle for what I believe in? I believe in God. Come and see me over at the religious forum some time.

(Why do I feel like I just jumped in and out of a bear trap in four posts or less?)

Perhaps the goverment should set pay scales for all jobs and do the hiring and firing for them.

Funny, that is precisely what Obama has been promoting...

The goverment can simply become the Hunan resources department for all businesses. That way the goverment can be in charge to make sure everyone is paid a fair wage and the managers and executives are no paid took much. We all know that the goverment is better at making business decisions about wages than busnesss people and the people and the people they hire.

24-barack-obama-soviet-constitution.w529.h352.2x.jpg

Forum List

Back